Applying for citizenship - one way plane tickets?

octopus

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

just doublechecking one thing about international travel. As long as no trip is longer than 6 months, is it okay to have several one way plane tickets ending outside of the U.S ? Or is it a problem for naturalization having round-trip plane tickets ending outside of the U.S?

It's been said that this could be seen as an issue, but mostly at the port of entry when you re-enter having spent a large chunk of time abroad. Am I right to think you intend to spend almost six months outside, return for a few days, and go out for almost six months, come back, and do this repeatedly? Then, yes, it could be a problem.

thank you. not planning on spending more than couple of months out of US really. I only saw pretty cheap one way plane tickets to Europe now, and then I saw I could go back to the US on roundtrip ticket ending in Europe for Christmas again.

So that plan counts with 2 overseas trips in very near future, but all together it should not exceed more than 2-3 months say ... according to what you said, I guess I am okay ...

Considering same thing.

Round-trip tickets to Europe from the U.S. are just so much more expensive than round-trip ticket originating from Europe. Is it a big deal just buying round-trip tickets from Europe ending in Europe?
  • I know in advance for which times I want to travel (like Christmas, Summer vacation)
  • I am spending only 3-4 month outside the U.S. a year
  • Applying for citizenship next year!

Somebody who can speak from his/her experience?

For the naturalization process they don't ask about the tickets you used for each trip. When you are at the port of entry they also don't care unless you have a history of long and/or frequent trips outside the US. 3-4 months outside the US per year should not be a problem.

Thank you Jackolantern, that definitely makes my decision process easier.

I would buy the more expensive tickets just for the sake of satisfying USCIS. But that'd be almost twice as much (waste of money if not needed).