Applying for canada PR card from USA

sivaa

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I am a canadian PR. I am in the US temporarily.
can you let me know whether I can apply for PR
card from USA. I have a canadian address.
Can I mail my application from USA or should I get
it notarized only in canada. Thanks

Hi, I am a Canadian PR. I am in the US temporarily.
Can you let me know whether I can apply for PR
card from USA? I have a Canadian address.
--- If you landed before 28 June 2002 you have to visit Canada and apply your PR card from Canada and have to Pick up PR card from Canada it is taking 10-12 weeks to get PR card pick up letter from the date you send application of PR from Canada, you have to take photograph, get your photograph, Passport first page and Landing paper copy notarized in Canada and PR application also to be notarized and have to pay the fees in Canada bank then you mail the application from Canada to PR card processing unit in Nova Scotia
Can I mail my application from USA or should I get
it notarized only in Canada.
--- If you landed after June 28, 2002 then at the time of landing you can provide formalities for PR card.
As the poster has posted a link that is only for address change if you applied PR card at landing time and you land after 28 June, 2002

Ginnu, I never did any formalities for PR Card at time of Landing.

Hi Ginnu,

I landed in Oct 2002. At the time of landing except putting stamp in passport nothing extra done at POE. Officer lady asked me for Canada address. I offered her my friend's address, but she denied to take it. She told me give me your own Canada address. I had not at that time.

I landed and came back to USA. And in recent September last week, I visited that link and simply added my 'Canada Address' and hit next button and put 3 people's name(me and family members). And I got Canada PR Cards at 'Canada Address' within 10 days.

I never applied PR Card physically. I never submitted any pictures/photo to Canada authority for that. I never notarised any document in Canada. In my PR Card, pictures shows the copy/image of my application time pictures.

When I applid for Address Change/PR Card online. I got reply from Canadian Authority as below.

---

From: "Citizenship and Immigration Canada" <SYD-GOL-Webmaster@cic.gc.ca> | Add to Address Book
To: myemailid@hotmail.com
Date:
Subject: Notification of Address - Received

Thank you for using Citizenship and Immigration Canada's new Permanent
Resident Address Notification On-line Service. We will change your
address(es) in our system within approximately two working days and will
contact you only if we are unable to process your request.
You should receive your Permanent Resident (PR) Card within 30 days.
If not, please contact the PR Call Centre at 1-800-255-4541.

---

I believe you are pretty senior and knowledgable. But I just wrote, what I did to get PR card.

Hi vsshah,
You got your PR card so easily because you landed after June 28,2002
Anyone landed prior to this date and having IMM1000 doc need to apply for PR card within Canada itself and also need to follow all those steps(Taking photo,Application authurized by a lawyer etc etc)
Thanks

Ginnu,
Correct me if I am wrong
Thanks

“vsshah”
This is because you landed after June 28,2002 and you updated your address in 180 days from landing date. Those who landed before June 28, 2002 have to send the application for PR card

ginnu, I updated my address online after 330 days.

Hi Ginnu and Ani70,

I know I landed after June 28, 2002. So, I was able to do online.
But, I updated my address online not within 180 days of landing. I landed in October 2002, and I updated my address in Sept 2003. Almost after 11 months of landing. But it worked.

So, I suggest guys, who landed after June 28, 2002. and not updated address within 180 days. Dont worry. Just update the address online, and you will get PR card in mail at Canada address within 10 days.

Please read my detail and confusion at below link. But I came out smoothly.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=99004

Hi vsshah

I landed after 06/28/02 too and now in US, but unfortunately I just receive a notice from CIC that I must re-take the photo for PR card at the local office in 1 week.

I'd like to confirm your landing paper was stamped by "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" at the landing time, right? How did you re-enter Canada to get your PR card? With the stamped LP or your friend mailed the PR card to you?

Thanks!

xl088, try first by updating your address online.

xl088,

After paying landing fee, I got 2 things(Landing Papers) at my USA home. IMM1000(Record ofLanding) and IMM5455(Supplementary Identification Form).

When I landed on Oct 19, 2002 at Windsor. Officer kept IMM5455 from me, and made me signed in original IMM1000 and just gave me back original (Officer kept copy of IMM1000 also). There is no stamp on IMM1000. They just put stamp in my passport for Canada Immigration.

But this is not your concern, you are asking me, how I entered again in Canada. Well, I had USA GC. So, I can enter in Canada anytime. But, I haven't visited Canada for my PR Card purpose. PR card was already arrived at my 'Canada Address'. My friend also could mail me that thing. But, I visited Canada for social reason, and picked up PR Cards from my friend's place.

I suggest you atleast update your Canada address online and see. You will get one email as mentioned above. Otherwise I dont know. I am wondering, guys who landed after June 28, 2002 are not updating their address online OR not sharing their experience here.

Good Luck...

Thanks a lot, vsshah.

I think your case is very special. My landing experience is almost same as you except the mark on Imm 1000.

Actually IMM 5455 is the form for applying PR card. I think CIC use the photo attached on 5455 to process your PR card. Since the port officer removed the old photo(although I can make sure it is qualified) from my Imm 5455 and took a new photo for me, I am very unlucky that it is not qualified, so I must retake it.

I can not update the current address since it is the only address I can get any info. in Canada.

BTW I am interested in how you can keep both your CA PR and US PR. Is there any stamp on your pp when you enter CA by green card and come back to US?

BTW I am interested in how you can keep both your CA PR and US PR.
---- At one point US GC or Canada PR has to be surrendered or the Canada immigration or US immigration will come to know and will warn him to choose the PR.
Is there any stamp on your pp when you enter CA by green card?
---- When you enter Canada with US GC through border they don’t stamp the passport
and come back to US?
--- When you enter US just show the US GC.
One can be out of Canada for 3 years in any 5 years. I hope when “vsshah” enters Canada shows Canada PR and when comes back to US shows US GC. To maintain US GC you need to be present in US 6 months for every year and pay tax.

Thanks, ginnu!

If I enter CA by maple card and enter US by green card, should I show them my pp meanwhile? how they know the actual days I stayed in CA or US?

I used USA GC to enter in Canada or USA.

xl088,

I got GC in Jun 2002 through CP. I got USA GC plastic card in Jul 2002. I laned in Canada in October 2002. At that time, Canadian officer asked me my status in USA. I said USA GC holder. And she put landing stamp in passport to the page opposite to USA Immmigration stamp. So, on left page Canandian immigration stamp is there, right page USA immigration stamp is there.

After that day, while coming back to USA or enter in Canada, I showed USA GC always. Now, I got Canada PR card also. But I will never use it to get in Canada, I will show USA GC. They normally never asked for passport. I haven't shown them passport after Canada landing done.

I think, it is not possbile for any authority to find out where I spent how much time.

ginnu,

I have spent only almost 1 year out Canada. Still I have 2 more years to keep both PR Cards. Later I dont know.

I have written my Canada landing experience here.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=63163&highlight=landing