Apply for Passport from US

immi_guy

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:

I am here on H1 (Indian Citizen). My wife came with me to US on H4. She was a canadian resident at the time of marriage. She got her canadian citizenship while we were in US. Now she is a canadian citizen, living with me in US. (as a H4).
Can we apply for her Canadian passport staying within US (I read the passport site and you can apply from outside canada), without any major issues? I think we need to mail her application and the citizen card in original.

My doubts are is it ok to do it via post? Is it ok to send in her original Citizenship Card while she is in US. What if she needs to go to Canada after we have sent the card. How would she be able to get into Canada?

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

immi guy.

I renewed my Canadian passport in 2005 while living in Illinois. I had to send my old passport, original citizenship card and other docs to Ottawa. It took one calender month (20 business days) for the new passport to arrive by mail. My old passport was punched and returned. My citizenship card was returned safe and sound too. I admit, I too was nervous about sending the original by mail, but I had no choice!!!

Hi immi guy,

You should have no problem to apply passport from US according to their policy.

My wife is in Canada and is planning to drive back to US with Canadian passport. Could you please share some information with us? I appreciate your help. I assume your wife came back to us with Canadian citizencard last time. Did she get a new I-94 from POE or she was able to convert the old I-94 to the new passport or she could use the old I-94 with her new passport?

Many thanks, Jerry

question

How did you wife apply for canada citizenship when she was in US? just wondering