Applied for OCI and SC together but received only OCI from Embassy in DC - PLEASE HELP!!

dilbert30

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

I hope someone will be able to shed light on my situation. I applied for my OCI and SC together and received a packet from the Indian Embassy in DC yesterday. I had my Indian PP with a canceled seal and clipped on two edges, my OCI booklet and OCI stamping on the US PP. No SC or letter endorsed by the embassy that says I have renounced my Indian Citizenship. I wrote an email to the embassy but have no response from them and I am unable to reach them via telephone after several attempts all day long yesterday. Is it normal for SC to be not mailed back?

Should I make a trip to the embassy in DC? If so, when during the day might be a good time? Thanks for your help

dilbert

Folks,

I hope someone will be able to shed light on my situation. I applied for my OCI and SC together and received a packet from the Indian Embassy in DC yesterday. I had my Indian PP with a canceled seal and clipped on two edges, my OCI booklet and OCI stamping on the US PP. No SC or letter endorsed by the embassy that says I have renounced my Indian Citizenship. I wrote an email to the embassy but have no response from them and I am unable to reach them via telephone after several attempts all day long yesterday. Is it normal for SC to be not mailed back?

Should I make a trip to the embassy in DC? If so, when during the day might be a good time? Thanks for your help

dilbert
10/13/10 - USC
10/23/10 - Rcvd US PP
11/02/10 - Appn (renuniciation and OCI) delivered @ Embassy in DC
12/10/10 - OCI appln ack at Embassy in DC
12/18/10 - Photos/Sign Scanned
12/28/10 - docs prnted
12/29/10 - docs dispatched
01/14/11 - docs rcvd at DC
01/17/11 - Sent US PP for OCI stamping (delvrd on 1/18)
01/25/11 - OCI recd but no SC inside the packet?!?

Some one else also had similar isue.
I also applied for SC/OCi together but yet to receive SC/OCI. Hope they will send my SC other wise I am far away from embassy and I can not even make a trip.
Please keep the forum posted.

Folks,

dilbert

I would recommend to visit the embassy since there is no hope to get email or phone response from Washington embassy. I think they forgot to add your SC in the package. Sorry to hear about your issue.

I would recommend to visit the embassy since there is no hope to get email or phone response from Washington embassy. I think they forgot to add your SC in the package. Sorry to hear about your issue.

I will but I am not sure what is the best time during the day to do so would be. I live ~2.5 hrs from DC. I had two SC forms notarized and I mailed both of them as a part of the appln packet. I didnt make a copy of the notarized form. Now, would I have to carry two more notarized applications for SC when I go in person? What about the fees? I took a postal money order and as luck might have it, USPS cannot track it for me! I am assuming that if they put a canceled seal on my Indian PP, somewhere in their system they had a SC for me but I wish I am able to talk to a real person before I drive the distance to meet them!!!

I will but I am not sure what is the best time during the day to do so would be. I live ~2.5 hrs from DC. I had two SC forms notarized and I mailed both of them as a part of the appln packet. I didnt make a copy of the notarized form. Now, would I have to carry two more notarized applications for SC when I go in person? What about the fees? I took a postal money order and as luck might have it, USPS cannot track it for me! I am assuming that if they put a canceled seal on my Indian PP, somewhere in their system they had a SC for me but I wish I am able to talk to a real person before I drive the distance to meet them!!!

well I live 280miles (almost 5hrs each way drive) from DC and had to go there to pick up my SC. Looks like in your case you have to prove in a reverse path..... In your case, as per the rule OCI cannot be issued without SC. They sent you OCI in a package but did not provide SC along with your canceled Indian PP. You should first ask them why they did not send you SC in OCI package, they will do the check right away. If they try to escape with an excuse, then you have a point that OCI is received but they did not send you SC in the package and it's their fault not yours. Make sure that USPS does not have any way to track about your money order. I sent cashiers check from BOFA and they have a tracking facility.

I would definitely recommend to carry another notarized SC (though you don't need to notarize it since you are going to submit in person in a worst case) to save you from any further trouble. I don't think they can ask for another SC fees since you just received your OCI and it's missing in the package.

You need to go to embassy between 12:30pm to 1:00pm for OCI related queries (you applied for SC and OCI together so it falls into OCI wing). Go to 1st floor instead of basement. Ring a bell (located on the right side of a door) and a baboo will ask you question before he opens the door for you :)

Don't worry much....... meet those lazy baboos in person and should be able to sort out things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi smart84, this is the most useful set of information I have on this topic. I went by USPS and the guy said they can only put a tracer (that could take several weeks) and not actually tell me if it was cashed and I would be better off asking the recepient! What can I tell him? In the past, I hv bought Western Union money orders from grocery stores and have tracked them with no issues; I just didnt realize that there would be Money orders that could not be tracked and went ahead and bought them at USPS. Anyways, I think they must have cashed it at the embassy since the Indian PP has been canceled. For whatever worth it is, I have two new notarized forms for SC. I hope I can resolve this issue when I go in person. wish me luck! Btw, no response for my emails I sent the embassy on this issue. The SF consulate was atleast quite responsive to emails when I had to work with them and came through for an emergency for me a couple of yrs back that I have no words to thank them enuf!

well I live 280miles (almost 5hrs each way drive) from DC and had to go there to pick up my SC. Looks like in your case you have to prove in a reverse path..... In your case, as per the rule OCI cannot be issued without SC. They sent you OCI in a package but did not provide SC along with your canceled Indian PP. You should first ask them why they did not send you SC in OCI package, they will do the check right away. If they try to escape with an excuse, then you have a point that OCI is received but they did not send you SC in the package and it's their fault not yours. Make sure that USPS does not have any way to track about your money order. I sent cashiers check from BOFA and they have a tracking facility.

I would definitely recommend to carry another notarized SC (though you don't need to notarize it since you are going to submit in person in a worst case) to save you from any further trouble. I don't think they can ask for another SC fees since you just received your OCI and it's missing in the package.

You need to go to embassy between 12:30pm to 1:00pm for OCI related queries (you applied for SC and OCI together so it falls into OCI wing). Go to 1st floor instead of basement. Ring a bell (located on the right side of a door) and a baboo will ask you question before he opens the door for you :)

Don't worry much....... meet those lazy baboos in person and should be able to sort out things.

** take your US passport with U visa and OCI card and Indian passport with you when you go to Embassy

Hi smart84, this is the most useful set of information I have on this topic. I went by USPS and the guy said they can only put a tracer (that could take several weeks) and not actually tell me if it was cashed and I would be better off asking the recepient! What can I tell him? In the past, I hv bought Western Union money orders from grocery stores and have tracked them with no issues; I just didnt realize that there would be Money orders that could not be tracked and went ahead and bought them at USPS. Anyways, I think they must have cashed it at the embassy since the Indian PP has been canceled. For whatever worth it is, I have two new notarized forms for SC. I hope I can resolve this issue when I go in person. wish me luck! Btw, no response for my emails I sent the embassy on this issue. The SF consulate was atleast quite responsive to emails when I had to work with them and came through for an emergency for me a couple of yrs back that I have no words to thank them enuf!

All the best Gilber30. Hope things will work out for you when you visit their office. And also keep us posted on this thread for others benefit.

Got SC finally!

I finally got my SC issue squared away. I had mistakenly recorded in my mind that i had to be there between 9:30 and 12:30. So, reached there at 11 and as smart84 said, the guy who answered the buzzer asked me to return at 12:30. I returned at 12:20 and checked in with the buzzer guy but he insisted I return at 12:30. I just waited in the basement room as it was a very cold day in DC today and came back at 12:30 when he let me right in. I went and explained my situation to a lady who understood what exactly had happened and asked me if I had new forms filled out by any chance. I did have 2 notarized copies of the forms (dt.1/28) which I gave her along with my canceled Indian PP. After about 20-25 min of waiting, I went and checked with her. Inspite of the officer being in a mtg , she asked him to sign off the sheet and I was out of there by 1pm. No one offered any explanation and I was not in a condition to find out one either! I am kinda relieved this is done and thanks to everyone in these forums and wish everyone whos waiting the very best.
Cheers,
Dilbert

I finally got my SC issue squared away. I had mistakenly recorded in my mind that i had to be there between 9:30 and 12:30. So, reached there at 11 and as smart84 said, the guy who answered the buzzer asked me to return at 12:30. I returned at 12:20 and checked in with the buzzer guy but he insisted I return at 12:30. I just waited in the basement room as it was a very cold day in DC today and came back at 12:30 when he let me right in. I went and explained my situation to a lady who understood what exactly had happened and asked me if I had new forms filled out by any chance. I did have 2 notarized copies of the forms (dt.1/28) which I gave her along with my canceled Indian PP. After about 20-25 min of waiting, I went and checked with her. Inspite of the officer being in a mtg , she asked him to sign off the sheet and I was out of there by 1pm. No one offered any explanation and I was not in a condition to find out one either! I am kinda relieved this is done and thanks to everyone in these forums and wish everyone whos waiting the very best.
Cheers,
Dilbert
10/13/10 - USC
10/23/10 - Rcvd US PP
11/02/10 - Appn (renuniciation and OCI) delivered @ Embassy in DC
12/10/10 - OCI appln ack at Embassy in DC
12/18/10 - Photos/Sign Scanned
12/28/10 - docs prnted
12/29/10 - docs dispatched
01/14/11 - docs rcvd at DC
01/17/11 - Sent US PP for OCI stamping (delvrd on 1/18)
01/25/11 - OCI recd but no SC inside the packet?!?
01/31/11 - SC obtained in person at Indian embassy in DC

Congrats dilbert30
It was good that you are closer to dc. For people who can not drive, this suitation is complex.
These people do not feel sorry for the trouble thye create for so many of us.

Congrats dilbert30
It was good that you are closer to dc. For people who can not drive, this suitation is complex.
These people do not feel sorry for the trouble thye create for so many of us.

Thanks, emno. I hope u get ur docs back in order. Someone (whos still a GC) suggested to me (ofcourse after I got my SC!) that perhaps someone in my situation could courier a letter to the embassy OCI wing (not email) explaining the situation and enclose two notarized SC application forms. In the letter one could explain that the appln fees and mailing fees have already been sent. We were just thinking aloud what ppl who live far away could do and this was something.. I wonder if it will work given that its a regular piece of mail that someone will open as opposed to an email..Ofcourse, best thing is to not have any issues at all!

Thanks, emno. I hope u get ur docs back in order. Someone (whos still a GC) suggested to me (ofcourse after I got my SC!) that perhaps someone in my situation could courier a letter to the embassy OCI wing (not email) explaining the situation and enclose two notarized SC application forms. In the letter one could explain that the appln fees and mailing fees have already been sent. We were just thinking aloud what ppl who live far away could do and this was something.. I wonder if it will work given that its a regular piece of mail that someone will open as opposed to an email..Ofcourse, best thing is to not have any issues at all!

Thanks Dilbert. Hope I will and all of us should get the SC with OCI and pp stamped in one mail.

How much time it takes to get the stamped PP back from embassay?

Thanks Dilbert. Hope I will and all of us should get the SC with OCI and pp stamped in one mail.

How much time it takes to get the stamped PP back from embassay?

If you look at my timeline, you will see that it took about a week from when they recd it. Actually, my docs reached my address on 1/24 but since I wasnt at home at the time, UPS attempted delivery a second time on 1/25 which is when I got the docs on hand. Hope this helps

Dilbert,

Congrats on getting your OCI.

I also never did get the SCs but at this point I'm not keen on following it up.

BTW, I came back from the India trip just recently.

Thanks,

If you look at my timeline, you will see that it took about a week from when they recd it. Actually, my docs reached my address on 1/24 but since I wasnt at home at the time, UPS attempted delivery a second time on 1/25 which is when I got the docs on hand. Hope this helps

do you ahev to carry canceled indian pp.
I did not get SC and the PP is has a seal received OCI on _____ or something like this and there is no date or initials or anything else. I have not received my SC too.

do you ahev to carry canceled indian pp.
I did not get SC and the PP is has a seal received OCI on _____ or something like this and there is no date or initials or anything else. I have not received my SC too.

When you go to India you take US passport with U visa AND OCI Card. You don’t need Surrender Certificate or canceled Indian passport and nobody at Airport or Indian immigration or Indian customs ask for it. This cancellation of Indian passports and SC is just drama to collect money or you call it Donation for IFS officers. SC has no value in India and nobody asks for it. canceled Indian passport is invalid for travel. At this time all the Departments in India are busy in SCAMS and they dont care about your SC or canceled Indian Passport. These Scam Artists have more than one Indian passports what Gov of India has done to them?

Even if the Indian passport is canceled many will still be having India Voter ID cards? Voter Card is evidence of Indian citizenship. do you think that now they will ask for cancellation of Voter ID Card or Name on Indian Ration Cards and one has to pay Donation of &500 to get SC of Voter Card and SC for Ration Card and SC of Indian Driving license cancellation ???

When you go to India you take US passport with U visa AND OCI Card. You don’t need Surrender Certificate or canceled Indian passport and nobody at Airport or Indian immigration or Indian customs ask for it. This cancellation of Indian passports and SC is just drama to collect money or you call it Donation for IFS officers. SC has no value in India and nobody asks for it. canceled Indian passport is invalid for travel. At this time all the Departments in India are busy in SCAMS and they dont care about your SC or canceled Indian Passport. These Scam Artists have more than one Indian passports what Gov of India has done to them?

Even if the Indian passport is canceled many will still be having India Voter ID cards? Voter Card is evidence of Indian citizenship. do you think that now they will ask for cancellation of Voter ID Card or Name on Indian Ration Cards and one has to pay Donation of &500 to get SC of Voter Card and SC for Ration Card and SC of Indian Driving license cancellation ???

Thanks for the clarifications.
As I also did not get my SC paper back, I am a little concerned that it may cause problem in renewal of OCI but at the most I may have to pay $175 again so it is not worth losing sleep in this.

thanks