AP vs Re-entry permit??

ramsaiin

Registered Users (C)
Hello Members.

Re-entry permit of a GC holder: The applicant need to be physically present in US while applying Form-131; But does the applicant need to wait in US until the decision is made by USCIS (or) they can travel out of US after applying it?

AP of an individual pending I-485: The applicant need to be physically present in US while applying Form-131; But does the applicant need to wait in US until the decision is made by USCIS (or) they can travel out of US after applying it?

It would be helpful, if you could clarify on the above 2 aspects.

Thanks,
Ram

Hello Members.

Re-entry permit of a GC holder: The applicant need to be physically present in US while applying Form-131; But does the applicant need to wait in US until the decision is made by USCIS (or) they can travel out of US after applying it?
----------------------- for re-entry permit one should file from US and should be in US.USCIS will send biometric notice to US address and complete the biometrics at ASC in US. One can go out of US after the biometrics are done. Form I-131 has option if you want the re-entry permit to be sent to US address or US embassy or consulate. If you want to collect the re-entry permit from US embassy or US consulate then write the name of US embassy/Consulate on the I-131 form and once the Permit is approved USCIS will send it to embassy or consulate and then US embassy or Consulate will send letter to your address (out of US) to pick up your re entry permit from Embassy/consulate.

AP of an individual pending I-485: The applicant need to be physically present in US while applying Form-131; But does the applicant need to wait in US until the decision is made by USCIS (or) they can travel out of US after applying it?
--------------------------- File the AP when you are in US depart US after you get AP in hand. AP is filed if I-485 is Pending.
It would be helpful, if you could clarify on the above 2 aspects.

Thanks,
Ram
--------------------

Re:

Hello Ginnu,

Thanks for helping me understand it.

In Re-entry permit: In form I-131, as suggested by you: I would give US address and then later thru my friend in US, shall forward it to India.
I hope this will not create any issue later @ POE? Please share your thoughts.

I am sure there would be some section in form-131, requesting for reason to apply for this re-entry permit. Is there any usual stuff (set of reasons), that is well received by USCIS during such approvals? Any thoughts.

Any idea on how long should one expect to receive Bio-metrics call after applying re-entry permit.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Regards.
Ram.

Hello Ginnu,

Thanks for helping me understand it.

In Re-entry permit: In form I-131, as suggested by you:
I would give US address and then later thru my friend in US, shall forward it to India.
I hope this will not create any issue later @ POE? Please share your thoughts.
-------------------------- if you have GC then you can apply reentry permit you should apply when you are in US then will get filing reciept and once you do the biometrics at ASC in US then you can go out of US. you can use US address and your friend can send you the permit once approved. you can then enter US with GC or Re-Entry permit(depend on the time you are out of US if you use GC). Re entry permit is valid only for 2 years.
I am sure there would be some section in form-131, requesting for reason to apply for this re-entry permit. Is there any usual stuff (set of reasons), that is well received by USCIS during such approvals? Any thoughts.
------------------------read the form.
Any idea on how long should one expect to receive Bio-metrics call after applying re-entry permit.
-------------------about one month after application is recieved by USCIS .
Thanks for your suggestions.
Regards.
Ram.
-----------------

Re:

Thanks Ginnu for your assistance.

Is "Welcome notice" different from "I-485 Approval notice" (or) they are one and the same? Please clarify.

Once I-485 is approved: Expected doc's from USCIS:
  1. Welcome Notice
  2. I-485 Approval Notice
  3. Plastic Green card
Is there anything else to expect? Please confirm.

Regards.
Ram

Thanks Ginnu for your assistance.

Is "Welcome notice" different from "I-485 Approval notice" (or) they are one and the same? Please clarify.

Once I-485 is approved: Expected doc's from USCIS:
  1. Welcome Notice
  2. I-485 Approval Notice
  3. Plastic Green card
Is there anything else to expect? Please confirm.

Regards.
Ram
many get Welcome Notice and I-485 approval. many only get I-485 approval. for me both are same. once they send Welcome Notice or I-485 approval they send the card in 30-40 days.

Re:

Hello Ginnu,

Please provide your valuable suggestion:

As mentioned before, I will be flying to US in first week of Dec 2009 with my GC (AP expired: Aug 2009; H1B valid until 2011 in passport; Stayed out of US:11+ months as H1B visa holder; 1 month out of US as GC holder). But my wife & children cannot travel immediately along with me as my daughter is in middle of her schooling. I would prefer them to travel during April 2010 time frame (5 months after my spouse GC approval date);

My kids are US citizen. Will this create trouble to my spouse when she enters US @ POE. Background of her case: AP expired - Sep 2009; H4 visa valid until Jan 2011 stamped in passport; She would be close to 18 months out of US as H4 dependent visa holder; 5+ months out of US as GC holder; Please advice.

Only alternative I have is: That she travels with me for a week and return back to continue my kids education & complete the academic here. It would be an additional expense for us and have no other issue in this option.

Please provide your valuable advice.
Regards.
Ram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ginnu,

Please provide your valuable suggestion:

As mentioned before, I will be flying to US in first week of Dec 2009 with my GC (AP expired: Aug 2009; H1B valid until 2011 in passport; Stayed out of US:11+ months as H1B visa holder; 1 month out of US as GC holder).
------------------Did you got the Card in your hands? if you have GC in hand then show the GC at POE. Tell them that your GC was approved on Month, date and your stay After GC approval was only 1 month.
They CAN ask employer letter get US employer letter and show if asked at POE. your GC is for Job.

But my wife & children cannot travel immediately along with me as my daughter is in middle of her schooling. I would prefer them to travel during April 2010 time frame (5 months after my spouse GC approval date);
--------------------- If the children are USC then they dont need to come to US they can study in India. if they want they can come any time. your wife can come April 2010.

My kids are US citizen. Will this create trouble to my spouse when she enters US @ POE.
-------------------Why? she has GC and she can enter with GC. Background of her case: AP expired - Sep 2009; H4 visa valid until Jan 2011 stamped in passport; She would be close to 18 months out of US as H4 dependent visa holder; 5+ months out of US as GC holder; Please advice.
--------H4 is for US. H4 holder can stay out of US and no limit. For US residency it is GC.
Only alternative I have is: That she travels with me for a week and return back to continue my kids education & complete the academic here. It would be an additional expense for us and have no other issue in this option.
------------------That is good option if you and your wife come to US.

Please provide your valuable advice.
Regards.
Ram.

If you are working in India for US company then you can file a Form to Preserve US residency before you go out of US(i forget the form number)

Re:

Ginnu,

Yes, I have GC in hand now. Also have the "employment verification letter" from US company. Traveling to US this week end. I shall post my experience after entering US.

Are you talking about the re-entry permit in your earlier email? If not, can you tell me, which form number are you talking about (or) its purpose, which would help me to search on uscis website.

Your assistance appreciated.

Regards,
ram