AP to get to Canada and re-enter US

Grandhipal

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I heard that people with Green cards dont need a (visitor) Visa to get to Canada. What about people in AOS and have APs?

I am planning for a trip to Niagara falls (Ontario) and just wondering what is needed.
If I need to apply for a visitor visa from Canadian consulate, how does it work considering that my H-1B is already expired? How long will the visa be issued for?

Any tips on re-entering US on AP by car near Ontario?

Thanks!
PS: Country of Citizenship: India

Grandhipal said:
Hi,
I heard that people with Green cards dont need a (visitor) Visa to get to Canada. What about people in AOS and have APs?

I am planning for a trip to Niagara falls (Ontario) and just wondering what is needed.
If I need to apply for a visitor visa from Canadian consulate, how does it work considering that my H-1B is already expired? How long will the visa be issued for?

Any tips on re-entering US on AP by car near Ontario?

Thanks!
PS: Country of Citizenship: India
You need a visa to visit Canada (since you are a citizen of India).
Having AOS/AP doesn't exempt your from visa requirements.

You apply for a "Temporary Resident Visa" (that's the name for a tourist visa) - you can apply by mail -- takes only about 2 weeks including transit time.
They understand AOS and not having H1 is not an issue -- the docs required etc is very clear on the Canadian consulate website.

Give yourself some extra time when re-entering ..... when using AP, you will be asked to go to the office next to the entry point ..... it takes about 30-45 mins to get a new I94 (just a formality).
(If you had a H visa, you can just drive up and drive thru !)
Also the wait time depends on the number of cars in queue and # of ppl in queue (inside the building) -- give it more time if its some kind of peak travel time (long weekend maybe !).