AP approved but physical doc not received & foreign travel question

sra123

Registered Users (C)
Myself, wife and kid applied for AP and got it approved in 20 days.
Physical doc received for self and kid after 3 days.
But no sign of my wife's document.

Current AP docs have already expired.
  • Can my wife travel without the approval document with just the printout of the case status approval from USCIS site?
  • Can my wife depart US without the AP doc?
  • I plan to travel later and carry wife's doc with me, will this be an issue for wife at the port-of-entry while coming back?
  • What other options do we have?

We have called the Customer Service and were asked to wait for 30 days.
We booked the tickets after receiving the approval e-mails. Date of travel is end-of-july. Not sure if the AP doc will arrive by then.

Myself, wife and kid applied for AP and got it approved in 20 days.
Physical doc received for self and kid after 3 days.
But no sign of my wife's document.

Current AP docs have already expired.
  • Can my wife travel without the approval document with just the printout of the case status approval from USCIS site?
    --- Wait until you get the Doc in hand.
  • Can my wife depart US without the AP doc?
    --- Yes she can but wait until you get the Doc in hand.
  • I plan to travel later and carry wife's doc with me, will this be an issue for wife at the port-of-entry while coming back?
    --- Not sure
  • What other options do we have?
    --- Call the Senators office and explain that you and your kid already got the doc and your wife's doc is pending. That's what I did.

We have called the Customer Service and were asked to wait for 30 days.
We booked the tickets after receiving the approval e-mails. Date of travel is end-of-july. Not sure if the AP doc will arrive by then.

This is the exactly same case as mine. I received my AP and my Son's AP in 25 days but my wife's took more than 2 months. I contacted my Senator's office. Got my wife's doc in the same week. Don't know whether that triggred or not but sure that works.

Sra123,

It is very likely that your wife will receive her AP by the end of July, it's unusual for it to take too long. When did you get your own AP? Your wife's may be in the mail today!

As for your original question: You are not supposed to depart the US before your AP is approved. Since you have evidence that it has been approved, then it just becomes a matter of common sense and personal discretion to depart without having the document actually in hand. I suppose it would be okay. One is normally not asked for the AP on the way out of the US, only on the way back in.

Thank you both prman & jk0274.

All the 3 AP's (myslef, kid & wife) got approved on 6/18/2009. Receieved the docs on 6/22/2009 for self & kid. I hope wife's doc comes soon. I will contact the Senator's office next week.

Wife got her AP doc today

quick update:
I just got a call from home. My wife got the approved AP doc in the mail today! One less thing to worry till the next time ;)

sra123,

I am in a similar situation -- my EAD was approved 7/29, rec'd 8/1, while my AP was approved 7/23...and still not yet received.

If you know, can you tell me what happened with your wife's AP, i.e. why did it show up 12 days later? I called USCIS customer service and they informed me that they cannot reissue my AP and that I can call back in 30 days if I have not received it. I have pending travel in the next week and am finding this all quite frustrating!

Many thanks