• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AOS or Consular processing?

ec6863

Registered Users (C)
Hey everyone!, I belive the impossible has happened, before I continue with my question I wanted you all to hear my story; I have lived in the States for the past 9 years (legally) from one visa to another, My dad was transferred to work out here and we had decided to stay, I was 16 and now Im 25 with no signs of me ever been able to become a permanent resident. To make matters more interesting im a Mexican citizen..

Recently I got married to my College gf and she is German thus making me eligible to apply for the lottery and ohh sh*T i got selected.. againts all odds A mexican won the green card lottery... :) I just though id shared my story

Now, here is my deal, we live in Dallas, and due to my nationality were are sent to post: Ciudad Juarez ( just south of el Paso) which is a quick cheap flight from Dallas, The question is, what would be the best option for us, our concern is to make sure that we can get this as soon as possible, Time is more important than money. Any comments will be highly appreciated

What's your DV year and CN number range? Is it DV2009 or DV2010 and is it high range or low range?

Anyway...If it's already sent to the U.S Consular in Ciudad Juarez, don't bother changing to AoS anymore. It's actually too late to change and trying to change to AoS by moving your file from a U.S Consulate to a USCIS post is a big hassle and could end up badly (missing files or long delay that will pass beyond deadline).

You made a right choice to do CP. It is the fastest way to get your DV visa. In your case, it could be even cheaper to do CP than AoS because you have the option to get a cheap flight to Mexico.

Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my letter just a few days ago, its for 2010 and my file number is 22xxx which according to what i have read that puts me in a good spot Im I right? also so far i have not sent out any paperwork

Hi ec6863,

you should be good. Consular processing is a good choice, just watch the Immigration bulletin every month and see when your number comes up which should be sometime April-June 2010.
One thing to be careful about though: if you had been in the states for nine years make sure all your visas have been ok and there was no overstaying. Get all the papers and if possible copies of all your visas over those nine years. MAKE SURE you were never on a J1 or J2 visa since you might need a "2-year home residency waiver" which is a huge pain and takes 4-8 months and you should start with it immediately, if you need one:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1288.html

This one can kill your green card if you don't do it well, so if you need help, private message me and I could gice you my lawyer.