• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AOS (Illegal in US)

jorj93

Registered Users (C)
Hello folks,
I am in US now and everything is going on smoothly, though not as expected. I wish you all good luck.
I know there have been threads on being illegal in US and winning the lottery but I cant easily find any. Can anybody directly advice on that? A friend is confused whether to have AOS or go to home country for interview.

I know there have been threads on being illegal in US and winning the lottery but I cant easily find any. Can anybody directly advice on that? A friend is confused whether to have AOS or go to home country for interview.

If you are out of status, you cannot adjust on the basis of a DV win.

Assuming this friend has overstayed his authorized stay for almost 6 months, and selected for DV-2010, can he process I-485 in the US?

If he has overstayed more than 6 months it seems that he is acquiring unlawful presence which is usually penalized with a 3 year ban.
I would recommend to contact an immigration lawyer and do a consultation (first ones are usually free) and ask what is best to do in this situation and ask about the chances of success.
Either way it would be good to address this and make sure that any chances on future opportunity are not jeopardized by the current situation.
Good luck!