AOS for Out of Status

nobody75

Hi all,
I came in the US in 2003 as a student, but has been out of status since 2007. Since now I am married to a USC (july 2010) I am thinking about filling for AOS. Also, I have been talking to Immi. Lawyers in my area for couple of weeks now. Their prices range from $ 2000-$4000. I am really confused how do I pick one of them. Neither I did/ could get any recommendations from my friends nor I can find any reviews. So experts here please help me pick on of the lawyers.
Also, Here is my situation:
I have been working with my wife for more than 4 yrs now and still work together. She has 3 kids with her ex bf (never got married).
Our marriage is bonafide. We live together but nor her kids tho- live with aunts. We have apt lease, utility, auto/ life insurance, bank a/c together in our name, and she is my beneficiary.
My question now is should I continue working (without authorization) while filling for AOS. I will definitely ask my lawyer about it too, but I also wanted your views on it.

Thanks all.
Appreciate your help.

You have been married for six months.
What are you waiting for? You need to file for AOS at your earliest convience. If you happen to have a run with the police, you could end up detained by Ice.
Instead of asking for a lawyer referral, look up a lawyer in your area that is endorsed by the BAR association. Chances are any lawyer that is endorsed by the lawyers BAR association will be able to help you become legal.

Question? Why are you guys not living with your wife's children? Your interviewing IO might ask...

You can also file for AOS without a lawyer. There is info on how to go about it in this forum.
Good luck...

Lots of holes in your story. She will have to file an I-130 since your are here illegally. Your really don't need a lawyer, you can get all the information here.
Good Luck

She files an I-130 according to the instructions with the fee and evidence.

AT THE SAME TIME: You file the I-485 and I-765. Do not file an I-131. You get an EAD (work authorization) from the I-765. BUT as soon as you file the forms and get the receipt you are OK to work because the unlawful work and the overstay are forgiven for the immediate relative of a USC. Do not depart the U.S. until you get a greencard or you can't come back for 10 years.

At some point she will have to file the I-864 with proof of sufficient income. AFTER you get an EAD, then your income can be counted but not before. Delay submitting the I-864 unless she makes a lot of money on her own without a need to count yours.

Get all the forms and INSTRUCTIONS at: www.uscis.gov unless you have a criminal record, you don't need a lawyer.

Thanks all for your response. Appreciated !!.
@ Menalive- Kids live with their aunts, but their parents visit them like every other day. My wife does not want their kids ( at least two of em who are 5 & 3) to know what's up with their parents just yet. I am not sure if that is right or not tho.
@ BigJoe5- Thanks alot for your detailed response. So it would be OK even if I continue working after filling for AOS since I will get EAD. We should be OK on income as My wife makes good enough money.
The reason why am I looking for a lawyer is I have been out of status for quite a long time and I thought that would make my case a lil' complicated. Rather than taking a chance now n regret it later (if not successful) I want to make sure I did everything possible even if it results in anything negative or positive.
Thanks alot.

A lawyer will fill some forms for you which a third can do also. If you have extra money to burn, be ready for a few thousand dollars...........