Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

addresses for wom

To file WOM where do I need to send copies of suit papers
for those 3? I would need addresses
Thanks

Michael Chertoff, as Secretary of the Department
of Homeland Security;

Eduardo Aguirre, Director of U.S. Citizen
Immigration Services;

Robert S. Muller, Director of Federal Bureau of
Investigation

gmlvsk said:
To file WOM where do I need to send copies of suit papers
for those 3? I would need addresses
Thanks

Michael Chertoff, as Secretary of the Department
of Homeland Security;

Eduardo Aguirre, Director of U.S. Citizen
Immigration Services;

Robert S. Muller, Director of Federal Bureau of
Investigation
Hello gmlvsk,
The director of USCIS is Emilio Gonzales. The addresses (and a lot more useful info) you can find in an attachement to the very first post of this forum. I know that the lenght of this thread is intimidating, but please, please don't take lightly sueing the government. You have to do your homework, so read at least the fist post of Publicus who gave an excellent summary with useful templates and info about such lawsuits.

thx Wenlock

Hi Wenlock,

Thank you so much for answering my questions on a Holiday! I am going to study it more when I get home. I am at my in-laws right now. I appreciate your reply very much!

Have a good holiday!

hayyyoot said:
Well, most governmental offices don't sign the green card, they stamp it, some even don't sign or stamp, they just fill in the date they received the mail, I filed those receipt cards, and they were acceptable, also, on some other occasions, I never got teh green cards back, so, I went online, tracked the mail through the confirmation number, and printed out the delivery confirmation from teh Internet and filed it with the original receipt that you get when you send the mail, nobody told me that this is wrong.
Anyways, to answer you question, yes, you can hire a process server to serve defendants in DC area, just find a local process server, and see if s/he belongs to a national process serving agency, most do, he can send the documents to the serving office in DC and they can serve your documents in person, they usually charge about $60-100 per document.
Most of us here on this forum used the US certified mail, I haven't heard of anyone who encoutered problems with that

Thank you very much, hayyyoot.

What I heard is that FBI seldom sign the receipt.
Anyway, I decide to use certified mail though.
$60-100 per document is too much expensive to me

uniqueengine said:
Can process server be used to delivering documents to remote site, say from Boston to DC?

What I am worry about certified mail is that some defendants won't sign return receipt and then I can't file certificate of service. At least process server can provide proof for delivery, is that right?

I believe there must be an answer in this great thread. But....I just finish reading page 33 of 462 :( . I feel every post is valuable and don't want to skip any :D

I would appreciate if anyone can give me a quick answer or point me to the answer

Use fedex. Just print out the receipt from Fedex web site and use that to file in court. I just use fedex saver to delivery from Boston to DC. They will delivery the next day anyway.

Use certified mail. Don't waste money on Fedex/UPS.

Service of summons is executed when you mail it. The clock starts ticking from the date of on the postmark. Save the certified mail slips with the green border. The post office stamps those with the post mark and the tracking number is on there.

wenlock said:
Hmm that sounds reasonable.

I am not eligible for 1447b because I have not completed my interview yet. My interview turn came after May 26th and they stopped scheduling interview after that with out security clearances. My application is pending more then 17 months so I filled WOM.

I will send some thing in written to remove my attorney from there records.

Goodluck! I think you have a very tough battle ahead, but I hope that you win so that a precedent is set.

Petition for a Hearing under 1447 (b) in U.S District court

After being stuck in the name check process and 128 days after my naturalization interview I filed a petion for a hearing under 1447(b) in the U.S. Dsitrict Court of Midlle Florida on November 17, 2006.
First, I was surprised to find that I had to pay another $ 350 filing fees.
The clerk was helpful in giving some general information in my pro se case. However, I had a friend and lawyer look over the pleading and prayer. He recommended to include a statement in the prayer "that the plaintiff requests the reimbursement of the $ 350 processing fee and other financial compensation as the court deems necessary."
Another $ 30 for sending out the summons in a civil case. I talked to the U.S. District Attorney's office and they requested also a formal summons even though they are not listed as defendents in the case. So you might want to check with your district court as the general guidelines do not necessarily apply the same way to all jurisdictions.
I also contacted the U.S. congressman for this district and got a very positive response including the request to fax them the petition for a hearing.
I am not a lawyer but preparing the request for a hearing was not too difficult thanks to the info given on this page.
I mailed the summons certified mail. Sometimes you just see a generic stamp from the receiver. A week after sending it out I received the receipt back from the district D.A. office and the U.S. attorney general. Still waiting on FBI , DHS, and CSIS.
I wish all of you who are in a similar situation good luck!

Best

Saarlaender

Timeline (short version)

Application N-400 (Memphis): January 17, 2006
Interview N-400 (Memphis): July 5, 2006
Move to Florida and Address Change: August 2006
Petition for Hearing in U.S. District Court: November 17, 2006

law references

Does anybody know where one could lookup those law references, their definition?
Thanks

28 U.S.C. §1391, $1361
5 USC §701 et seq.
28 USC §2201

another question

Thanks guys for helpful comments on my previous questions. I did and still am learning a lot from this forum.
One more question on a Petition to all the experts here. I filed my petition about a month ago, immediately I sent out summons, and about a week ago I filed a return certificate with court and US Attorney office clerk. A couple of days ago I received an ORDER SETTING CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE AND REQUIRING JOINT CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE STATEMENT for the court. So, my question is: why did I received it only now and not during case filing as appears to be the case according to PACER. My second question is: do I have to mail this document to all my defendants? This document stats that I “shall serve copies of this Order immediately on all parties to this action…”. So, it seems that just passing a copy to the US Attorney is not good enough. I will be happy to hear your comments. Thank you all in advance.

olegb said:
Thanks guys for helpful comments on my previous questions. I did and still am learning a lot from this forum.
One more question on a Petition to all the experts here. I filed my petition about a month ago, immediately I sent out summons, and about a week ago I filed a return certificate with court and US Attorney office clerk. A couple of days ago I received an ORDER SETTING CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE AND REQUIRING JOINT CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE STATEMENT for the court. So, my question is: why did I received it only now and not during case filing as appears to be the case according to PACER. My second question is: do I have to mail this document to all my defendants? This document stats that I “shall serve copies of this Order immediately on all parties to this action…”. So, it seems that just passing a copy to the US Attorney is not good enough. I will be happy to hear your comments. Thank you all in advance.

Although I didn't receive such package, so I'm just guessing, because all the defendants are represented by the same counsel, AUSA, I think that sending only to the USA's Office would be enough.

gmlvsk said:
Does anybody know where one could lookup those law references, their definition?
Thanks

28 U.S.C. §1391, $1361
5 USC §701 et seq.
28 USC §2201

Google it.
Cornel law school website.

My mail to the FBI failed as undeliverable?

Hi,

Hi,
Thanks for this wonderful forum. I was wondering whether anyone help me out this problem. My mail to FBI headquarters.for summon has failed to delivery.

The mail were sent by priority, certified and retrun receipt. I used:

Robert S Mueller III
Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation
J Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20535-0001

Could anyone tell me what wrong with it? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

DPX

dpx2002 said:
Hi,

Hi,
Thanks for this wonderful forum. I was wondering whether anyone help me out this problem. My mail to FBI headquarters.for summon has failed to delivery.

The mail were sent by priority, certified and retrun receipt. I used:

Robert S Mueller III
Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation
J Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20535-0001

Could anyone tell me what wrong with it? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

DPX
I didn't put in the address the "J Edgar Hoover Building" part. In the summons I put "Office of the General Counsel of FBI", besides the other part what you have in the address (I know that doesn't make much sense, why I put different thing in the summons and on the envelope, I don't know the answer, probably I just forgot at the post office, when I was writing the adresses on the envelopes and green slips. It took me almost an hour for 6 envelopes, 6 green slips and 6 green cards). According to the USPS tracking web site, the mail was delivered 6 days after I mailed it with Priority Mail (of course, certified mail, return receipt requested). I still didn't receive back the "green card" from FBI. But the web printout was enough as proof of delivery.

Please help to locate addresses of those
Thank you

1. Michael Chertoff, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
2. Emilio T. Gonzalez, Director of USCIS

I found this but not sure if it's right address or if it's USCIS or DHS address

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
United States Department of Homeland Security
Office of the Chief Counsel
20 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. Room 4025
Washington, DC 20536

gmlvsk said:
Thanks

28 U.S.C. §1391, $1361
5 USC §701 et seq.
28 USC §2201

search for "United States Code" or "Code of Federal Regulations" in google. There will be a link to the Government Printing Office where you can search the USC and CFR.

gmlvsk said:
Please help to locate addresses of those
Thank you

1. Michael Chertoff, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
2. Emilio T. Gonzalez, Director of USCIS

I found this but not sure if it's right address or if it's USCIS or DHS address

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
United States Department of Homeland Security
Office of the Chief Counsel
20 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. Room 4025
Washington, DC 20536

Just search the forum. The answer has been posted several dozen times.

Did I win the WOM?

I received 11 same emais from DHS as follows :

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

On November 24, 2006, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before you get your new card call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Is it a welcome letter? :)
Does this mean I won my lawsuit? Do I need to file anything in the court if I receive the green card before the 60 days? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: