Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Result

hayyyoot said:
I am not sure I can handle an appeal on my own, I heard that a lawyer asked for $60,000 to file an appeal for somebody, I really don't trust the USCIS to approve my case now. probably I am a goner at this point :-(
I am extremely upset, I have no more energy left to fight, or study, I really hope that nobody will have to experience this.
I will wait few days and see if I will have the stomach to start fighting again.
Thanks for everybody here on this forum, especially PAZ.
Good luck all.

To be honest I do not see any big issues with result of this lawsuit only thing is that Judge did not put any timeline for adjudication. But if you look at US attorney motion to dismiss it clearly says that they are planning to adjudicate in next 30 days and judge agreed to that motion. I think you should be fine.

wenlock said:
To be honest I do not see any big issues with result of this lawsuit only thing is that Judge did not put any timeline for adjudication. But if you look at US attorney motion to dismiss it clearly says that they are planning to adjudicate in next 30 days and judge agreed to that motion. I think you should be fine.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say! According to AUSA, hayyyoot's background check was finished and USCIS is planning to adjudicate her application in the next 30 days. But they can't till the lawsuit is not dismissed or the case not remanded to them (I know, I know, in many cases they are still approving or sometimes even denying applications during the pending litigation; they certainly can't do this in the 9th Circuit Court jurisdiction, see US v. Hovsepian; hayyyoot's case is in Nevada, which I think belongs to the 9th Cir.)

So, in my opinion, the judge realised this and that's why he didn't bother to put any timeline in the remand order. And one more little difference: if the judge agrees to include a timeline, i.e., agrees with the Plaintiff's demand, Plaintiff wins and she would be entitled for reimbursement of her costs from the government. By remanding the case without the addition of timeline (as Plaintiff requested), probably nobody takes anything, i.e., nether Plaintiff, nor defendants will be entitled to any cost recovery. I know that in the case of a Pro Se Plaintiff this is not a huge amount of money.

Bottom line: now that USCIS regained jurisdiction on this case, they will adjudicate it quickly, because they have the results of the background check and they don't have a reason why to withold the decision.

In the appeal (if this would be necessary, which is highly unlikely, in my opinion), I would argue that intent of the Congress was to provide a way how to get moving the stalled natiralization applications when they adopted 8 U.S.C. 1447. The second option for the judge is to remand the matter to the Service, with specific instructions. Here the judge made the mistake that he didn't even bother to say that USCIS should adjudicate Plaintiff's application as soon as the background check is finished (like in several other cases, when the USCIS defense was that they can't adjudicate the case before the background check is not done by FBI). The judge remanded the case without ANY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS, i.e., he didn't follow the spirit and the wording of the statue. In my opinion, this error, which seems only minor, is enough to initiate an appeal with the Circuit Court. Remember, the Circuit Courts look mainly to the legality of the cases judged at the district court level, i.e., they tend to intervene only if the staue was not followed closely, or they interpret the law and make decision based on the adopted interpretation. In this case the judge certainly didn't follow closely the statue because he didn't provide any specific instruction in his remand order.

So if I read it correctly, it the the FBI who triggered the 2nd finger print action (by requesting an expedite to CIS)? So at least somebody at FBI is touching the case? I hope this is good. By the time I finish my finger print the day after chrismas and FBI gets the results after, I hope FBI can work faster since they know I have filed WOM. keep my fingers crossed.

waitingforblue said:
I just had a chance to read the last couple of pages of posts and I wanted to shed some light on what the 2nd finger printing appointment means.

Paz had stated (in a earlier post)that the USCIS declared they would only do a 2nd fingerprinting if the background check was complete. In my situation ( filed 1447b/waited 60 days/got a motion to dismiss/ got appt for 2nd fingerprinting the next day) I was really hopeful this was true but after discussion with USCIS and ausa, it turns out that one of the things that the USCIS is now doing is scheduling 2nd finger prints and resolving any other lingering doubts (missing papers, etc...) as soon as requesting an expedite by the FBI. So, basically the appt for fingerprinting is a good sign but definitely does not necessarily mean that the background check is complete.

Any idea on if there is any logic with regards to the time frame for an expedited check (i.e, checks that have been waiting the longest go first, etc....) Also, how long are the expedites taking now? I'm assuming that the answer might be ----the luck of the applicant seems to be the sole factor.

peace

Modifications

zlin said:
Hello, Gurus, I'm in family based I485 application for 20 months because of name check (my husband is US citizen), so I filed MOW on Dec 13, 06, served US Attorney on Dec 15. Now I just realized I have more evidence or document that I forgot to write in my complain plus some error in my original complain document, such as I forgot to write it was very hard for me to find a job after I graduated without green card, so I took job offer 500 miles away from my husband, my husband relocated with me after 2 months since he misses me, now he's 500 miles away from his kids (they live with his ex). He spent 16 hour driving once half months to visit them and he had to sleep in the car because we spent all of our money to rent car and buy gas. This is extremly hardship that name check caused to my family. Do you think it's a good reason for me to add these into my complain? If so, how to edit my complain or add it into my case after I already filed it? Thank you.

You can easily amend this complaint but you have to reserve it to all defendents and also file certificate of service with court after you amend your complaint. You 60 days will start from the time US attorney received your amended complaint.

Adding your personal hardship might not be bad idea but you have to include proof of all the claims you are making.

My personal opinion is that it might be good idea to add this stuff in orginal complaint but if you are making amendments just to add personal hardship it might not be a good idea.

Also if you are adding personal hardship you have to proof that you sent all these proof of personal hardship to USCIS and FBI before you brought it to court. I am not sure in your case if you have done this already or not.

Judge can consider these things into account only if USCIS and FBI ignored your request based on these facts.

Thank you, Wenlock. I see. So maybe I will just wait and see how it goes. Also I was wondering, after filling WOM, do I need to do something except calling US Attorney. Such as mail USCIS / FBI to request of expedite my name check again and try to solve the problem before 60 day end? If so, I can possiblily write to them about these hardship and ask for expedite? Thank you so much!

wenlock said:
You can easily amend this complaint but you have to reserve it to all defendents and also file certificate of service with court after you amend your complaint. You 60 days will start from the time US attorney received your amended complaint.

Adding your personal hardship might not be bad idea but you have to include proof of all the claims you are making.

My personal opinion is that it might be good idea to add this stuff in orginal complaint but if you are making amendments just to add personal hardship it might not be a good idea.

Also if you are adding personal hardship you have to proof that you sent all these proof of personal hardship to USCIS and FBI before you brought it to court. I am not sure in your case if you have done this already or not.

Judge can consider these things into account only if USCIS and FBI ignored your request based on these facts.

No rules

huxf said:
So if I read it correctly, it the the FBI who triggered the 2nd finger print action (by requesting an expedite to CIS)? So at least somebody at FBI is touching the case? I hope this is good. By the time I finish my finger print the day after chrismas and FBI gets the results after, I hope FBI can work faster since they know I have filed WOM. keep my fingers crossed.

I do not believe there is any hard and fast rule about second finger prints. It all depends on local policy of district office. Some automatically ask for second FP after 15 months but others wait till name check is done.

zlin said:
Thank you, Wenlock. I see. So maybe I will just wait and see how it goes. Also I was wondering, after filling WOM, do I need to do something except calling US Attorney. Such as mail USCIS / FBI to request of expedite my name check again and try to solve the problem before 60 day end? If so, I can possiblily write to them about these hardship and ask for expedite? Thank you so much!

I think the best thing that you can do to is discuss hardship with US attorney. Try to make good relation with him explain your situation and tell him you do not like to do all this litigation if you can resolve matter out of court. If he is willing to work with you then offer him that if you see progress like name check complete you are willing to sign joint motion to dismiss with some firm timeline.

fadd2002 said:
hi,

due to name check pending, I filled wom case at 11/20 and today my case status is changed: it said: my case is transfered to my local uscis office. What does it mean? My name check is cleared?

Thanks.
Hi fadd2002!
What kind of case do you have I-485 or N-400? And also where did you file? I think it is a very good sign, as at least there is some movement.

Maybe it is a stuipid question. Can anyone tell wheterh I need to call the US attorney or not before I file the WOM? Thanks

This is a very very big deal

Guys;
What happened in my case is a precedent, my USA will start using my case as a precedent to abuse and racially profile future plaintiffs.
The judge totally ignored the law, and remanded my case without any instructions, he could have taken the time and remanding it with instructions that the CIS adjudicate the case as soon as possible, and I would have been not so upset, but, the jedge has just totally ignored the law. At this point, becoming a citizen is really the first on my priority list anymore, I don't want my case to be a precedent, is anybody aware of such a case??? the jurisdiction isn't disputed, so, they didn't dismiss the case, they accepted the jurisdiction, and rejected the law :eek: , I MUST file an appeal, we can't be doormats here.
Guys, any help in filing an appeal is very appreciated, I have to file it by 1/17/07, I am just infuriated.
Please post your opinions.

paz1960 said:
That's exactly what I'm trying to say! According to AUSA, hayyyoot's background check was finished and USCIS is planning to adjudicate her application in the next 30 days. But they can't till the lawsuit is not dismissed or the case not remanded to them (I know, I know, in many cases they are still approving or sometimes even denying applications during the pending litigation; they certainly can't do this in the 9th Circuit Court jurisdiction, see US v. Hovsepian; hayyyoot's case is in Nevada, which I think belongs to the 9th Cir.)

So, in my opinion, the judge realised this and that's why he didn't bother to put any timeline in the remand order. And one more little difference: if the judge agrees to include a timeline, i.e., agrees with the Plaintiff's demand, Plaintiff wins and she would be entitled for reimbursement of her costs from the government. By remanding the case without the addition of timeline (as Plaintiff requested), probably nobody takes anything, i.e., nether Plaintiff, nor defendants will be entitled to any cost recovery. I know that in the case of a Pro Se Plaintiff this is not a huge amount of money.

Bottom line: now that USCIS regained jurisdiction on this case, they will adjudicate it quickly, because they have the results of the background check and they don't have a reason why to withold the decision.

In the appeal (if this would be necessary, which is highly unlikely, in my opinion), I would argue that intent of the Congress was to provide a way how to get moving the stalled natiralization applications when they adopted 8 U.S.C. 1447. The second option for the judge is to remand the matter to the Service, with specific instructions. Here the judge made the mistake that he didn't even bother to say that USCIS should adjudicate Plaintiff's application as soon as the background check is finished (like in several other cases, when the USCIS defense was that they can't adjudicate the case before the background check is not done by FBI). The judge remanded the case without ANY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS, i.e., he didn't follow the spirit and the wording of the statue. In my opinion, this error, which seems only minor, is enough to initiate an appeal with the Circuit Court. Remember, the Circuit Courts look mainly to the legality of the cases judged at the district court level, i.e., they tend to intervene only if the staue was not followed closely, or they interpret the law and make decision based on the adopted interpretation. In this case the judge certainly didn't follow closely the statue because he didn't provide any specific instruction in his remand order.

Although I do not know how to help you on this, I do support you.
I really amire your attitude and your consideration for future victims.

hayyyoot said:
Guys;
What happened in my case is a precedent, my USA will start using my case as a precedent to abuse and racially profile future plaintiffs.
The judge totally ignored the law, and remanded my case without any instructions, he could have taken the time and remanding it with instructions that the CIS adjudicate the case as soon as possible, and I would have been not so upset, but, the jedge has just totally ignored the law. At this point, becoming a citizen is really the first on my priority list anymore, I don't want my case to be a precedent, is anybody aware of such a case??? the jurisdiction isn't disputed, so, they didn't dismiss the case, they accepted the jurisdiction, and rejected the law :eek: , I MUST file an appeal, we can't be doormats here.
Guys, any help in filing an appeal is very appreciated, I have to file it by 1/17/07, I am just infuriated.

hayyyoot said:
Guys;

I understand your frustation. If you want to appeal I would contact AILF.org they have section on there website where they are keeping all court procedings concerning 1447b. They are also planning to file some thing against the judge who is dismissing cases like this without even serving defendents I believe it is in Houston district one judge just dismiss case with out even ordering summons to defendents.

This is the link

http://www.ailf.org/lac/natz_delay0806.shtml

I would contact this lady

Cecillia Wang at cwang@aclu.org or (415) 343-0775

and describe her situation and ask for guidence. I know there is Ailf conference coming in Jan about 1447b litigations and WOM. May be you can give them information about your case and get some feedback.

Wake up the Media to our Pligth

I think we all need to send out an email to CNN and other media channnels.
I am sure if we generate enough media attention something will be done as namecheck is affecting the Citizenship process also.
So lets all send out a letter to Lou Dobbs and mention all our efforts and problems etc.

Angry! Angry! Angry!
Today, My attorney who filed my I485 application called me emergently and faxed a notice from USCIS. Basically, they want me to do a second finger print and assigned a new A# to me because they mistakely assigned a A# used by another person. Then they kind of ordered me to have another finger print on 12/27/2006. If I missed it, my application will be abondoned (retaliation of my WOM). It is Christmas, I will definitely miss it if I am in vacation somewhere. Now I know why I get a motion to dismiss to my case so early. Because they definitely can not finish to adjudicate my application in a time schedule. They need to do another name check based on my new A # even my old name check is still pending based on the old A #. I could not imagine what other shocking mistakes will happen following my new A#. Barstards!

If I didn't file WOM, my name check will be pending forever because of the mistake. This is the second mistake that they had. The first one is that they secretly "administratively close" my case on May, 2006 without any notice until I find out through INFO pass before I filed WOM.

Now I am preparing my "opposition to motion to dismiss". I really want to let the Court know all these mistakes (I had their written letters for admitting these mistakes) found after I filed WOM. I haven't found a good way to do it. Any suggestion?. Amend my previous WOM or just written inside the opposition?

I just want to say that there is no way for us to uncover their illegal actions and scandals unless we put them in the court. Hope the system is really working and we can find our justice and let them pay all these damages. More people fight, more chances we will have our justice.

FBI contact

Does any one know any FBI or USCIS contact that handles Name check directly for law suits. I need to send that information to my US attorney. He said if I know some one who handles matters directly he might be able to talk to him directly.

I know USCIS has some focus group people who handles FBI name check requests. They devoted five people for that purpose.

Please let me know if some one knows any thing abuot this.

Foget about Lou Dobbs. In my opinion, he is a racist redneck.

calmguy said:
I think we all need to send out an email to CNN and other media channnels.
I am sure if we generate enough media attention something will be done as namecheck is affecting the Citizenship process also.
So lets all send out a letter to Lou Dobbs and mention all our efforts and problems etc.

I think you should hire an experience lawyer to deal with this. You have a strong case to win now.
Good luck.

Comfused said:
Angry! Angry! Angry!
Today, My attorney who filed my I485 application called me emergently and faxed a notice from USCIS. Basically, they want me to do a second finger print and assigned a new A# to me because they mistakely assigned a A# used by another person. Then they kind of ordered me to have another finger print on 12/27/2006. If I missed it, my application will be abondoned (retaliation of my WOM). It is Christmas, I will definitely miss it if I am in vacation somewhere. Now I know why I get a motion to dismiss to my case so early. Because they definitely can not finish to adjudicate my application in a time schedule. They need to do another name check based on my new A # even my old name check is still pending based on the old A #. I could not imagine what other shocking mistakes will happen following my new A#. Barstards!

If I didn't file WOM, my name check will be pending forever because of the mistake. This is the second mistake that they had. The first one is that they secretly "administratively close" my case on May, 2006 without any notice until I find out through INFO pass before I filed WOM.

Now I am preparing my "opposition to motion to dismiss". I really want to let the Court know all these mistakes (I had their written letters for admitting these mistakes) found after I filed WOM. I haven't found a good way to do it. Any suggestion?. Amend my previous WOM or just written inside the opposition?

I just want to say that there is no way for us to uncover their illegal actions and scandals unless we put them in the court. Hope the system is really working and we can find our justice and let them pay all these damages. More people fight, more chances we will have our justice.

Comfused said:
Angry! Angry! Angry!

i understand it is frustating but adding another A number does not make any difference to Name check process. As long as you are using same name and date of birth you are fine. FBI name check is valid for 4 months. If you get result for new or old name check request both should be fine as long as name is same.

Yes you can clearly add all this information to your motion to dismiss response. I hope this will buy you some sympathy in front of Judge.

The Best Christmas Present - One more victory

This morning, I just received emails from USCIS: my and my whole family's I-485 were approved. You know, I have been stuck in Name Check black hole for more than 32 months, and it took 57 days only to get everything done after I filed the WOM. Huge Release!! And I am sooooooo happy to see my 4-year Green Card journey came to the end.
Here I have to say Big Thanks to all the folks who shared their experience in this thread. especially, Delightfish, Paz1960, Junhuaw etc. Also I need to appreciate my AUSA, Ms. McNuty, Sheila. She is very nice AUSA always keeping me confident and encouraged.
Good luck to all of you filers and very very appreciate for contributing to this wonderful forum!!

moon_g
EB2
I140 RD: 09/18/2003
I140 AD: 3/03/2004
I485 RD: 4/01/2004
WOM filed in Northern District off Illinois (Chicago): 10/24/2006
Name Check: Cleared 12/13/2006
Last FP: 12/19/2006
I485 approved: 12/21/2006 morning :D

Last edited by a moderator: