Anybody here from Canada waiting for visa number getting current?

daniella

Registered Users (C)
Hi there i was wondering if there is anyone from Canada who has I-140 approved and waiting for the visa number getting available to share our experience and the waiting game.
Thanks

daniella said:
Hi there i was wondering if there is anyone from Canada who has I-140 approved and waiting for the visa number getting available to share our experience and the waiting game.
Thanks

I was waiting for the past year--just became current this month--I opted for consular processing and my interview is in Montreal in November. What's your PD, etc?

Oh Hi
Thanks for the reply :)
congratulations .
Ok my PD is June 2003 (EB3 World) and now visa bulletin shows July 2002 :rolleyes:
So i have to still wait . Every month it moves 2 month.
I have some questions if you don't mind :
1)How long after your number getting available does that take to get an interview date??
2)I've got the visa application processing fee bill , but i haven't paid taht because it says it will expire after one year after the payment, I wanted to wait until a closer date to my visa number .Or is this better to pay it now?I don't want any delay in processing . When did you pay that ?

Thank you so much again
Good luck with the interview
Please keep posted :)

daniella said:
Oh Hi
Thanks for the reply :)
congratulations .
Ok my PD is June 2003 (EB3 World) and now visa bulletin shows July 2002 :rolleyes:
So i have to still wait . Every month it moves 2 month.
I have some questions if you don't mind :
1)How long after your number getting available does that take to get an interview date??
2)I've got the visa application processing fee bill , but i haven't paid taht because it says it will expire after one year after the payment, I wanted to wait until a closer date to my visa number .Or is this better to pay it now?I don't want any delay in processing . When did you pay that ?

Thank you so much again
Good luck with the interview
Please keep posted :)

When my I-140 was completed, PD's were still current (this was in early 2005), so I paid the fee bill right away when I received it.

Regarding your fee bill, this was posted on another site back in February:

Recently, the U.S.. Department of State (DOS) issued a guidance relating to the National Visa Center (NVC) EB-3 processing of cases. in which priority dates may not become current for a number of years.

According to the guidance, immigrant visa fee bills are mailed early in the process so that the costs incurred in subsequent stages are adequately funded in advance. The actual movement of visa numbers is a complicated monthly calculation that NVC cannot predict. NVC also cannot time the sending of fee bills based on the likelihood of future visa availability.According to the guidance. immigrant visa fee bills are mailed early in the process so that the costs incurred in subsequent stages are adequately funded in advance. The actual movement of visa numbers is a complicated calculation that monthly NVC can not predict. NVC also can not time the sending of bills base fee d on the likelihood of future visa availability.

If the person billed (the "agent of choice") should conclude that the visa number is unlikely to become available for several years, and on that basis decides not to submit payment and/or requested forms, the case would remain at NVC in an inactive status. Under these circumstances, it is important that the agent of choice remain in contact with NVC at annual intervals so that the case does not proceed towards legal termination. The agent of choice should not let any twelve-month period elapse without writing, emailing, or calling the NVC to reaffirm interest in consular processing.If the person billed (the "agent of choice") should conclude that the visa number is unlikely to become available for several years. and on that basis decides not to submit payment 和 / 或 requested forms. the case would remain in an inactive status at NVC. Under these circumstances, it is important that the agent of choice remain in contact with NVC at annual intervals so that the case does not proceed towards legal termination. The agent of choice should not let any twelve-period elapse without writing. emailing. or calling the NVC to reaffirm interest in consular processing.

As a matter of policy, paid fee bills are not refunded if the individual decides to adjust status in the U.S. rather than apply for an immigrant visa abroad.As a matter of policy, bills are not paid fee refunded if the individual decides to adjust the status in the U.S.. rather than apply for an immigrant visa abroad.

(02/02/2006)

I read that as saying that if you don't pay the fee bill, then your case will go inactive after 12 months if no contact is made with them by you or your attorney.

They didn't send out my application package until the fee bill was paid. After that, they turned it around fairly quick, but then I got stuck in retro.

My date became current in the October 2006 bulletin, and my interview was scheduled for November--therefore, once your date is current (and your file is complete) they schedule an interview fairly quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info , very useful.
I'm sorry i'm a little bit confused
1)Ok if your PD becomes current and then if retro happens will that effect you ? Let's say my PD becomes current after 6 months there is the possiblity that i will get stuck in retro ?( meaning the dates will go back?)
2) What does exactly mean creating a case nad finishing it in NVC ?Does that mean sending the documents for them?
3) Now if i send the visa fee , will they send me the reciept and packet 3?
Could u please help me with the next steps??
I will really appreciate it
thanks

daniella said:
thanks for the info , very useful.
I'm sorry i'm a little bit confused
1)Ok if your PD becomes current and then if retro happens will that effect you ? Let's say my PD becomes current after 6 months there is the possiblity that i will get stuck in retro ?( meaning the dates will go back?)
2) What does exactly mean creating a case nad finishing it in NVC ?Does that mean sending the documents for them?
3) Now if i send the visa fee , will they send me the reciept and packet 3?
Could u please help me with the next steps??
I will really appreciate it
thanks

Glad to help.... To answer your q's:

1. Yes, if you become current and then the dates retro again, you can be affected. You are only in the clear if you interview at the consulate and your immigrant visa is issued while your PD is current. One thing to remember about this though: your interview will be scheduled very soon after your PD is current (take mine for example--1 month) so this will hopefully not affect you.

2. NVC automatically creates a case for you after they receive your approved I-140 from USCIS. This starts the process going (sending out a fee bill is the first step). After fee payment, packet 3 gets sent out. After packet 3 is approved and you are current, you are scheduled for the interview.

3. Call NVC up: 603-334-0700 and ask if they will send packet 3 if your priority date is not current. I don't know the answer to this (I have heard however, that they will send the packet to you if they anticipate you becoming current in the near future)

They're quite good at the NVC as far as answering questions. Quite nice and professional overall.

Feel free to post whatever q's you have to the board--I'll do my best to answer!