any idea about PIO?

If you AND your wife both are Indian citizens, your kids do not qualify for an OCI.
Atleast one of you should be a non-citizen, and your kids should have some link to India (i.e. father/mother/grand parent) for them to qualify to get an OCI.

Guys,

My wife is from India and I'm from the UK. Could someone highlight the advantages of a person of Indian origin card or this 'OCI'?

I only really go to India to visit relatives and have a 5 year multiple entry visa for that.

Guys,

My wife is from India and I'm from the UK. Could someone highlight the advantages of a person of Indian origin card or this 'OCI'?

I only really go to India to visit relatives and have a 5 year multiple entry visa for that.

PIO card is like a green card for India. It does however expire every 15 years, but can be renewed easily. OCI on the other hand never expires. Both PIO and OCI allow you to live and work in India. A PIO holder is required to register at the local police station as a foreigner. An OCI holder is exempt from this requirement.

If you only go to India to visit people, you don't need the PIO or the OCI. The visitor's visa is good enough.

Getting the PIO or OCI is better...

You don't have to worry about visa getting expired.... Plus the PIO/ICI Immigration lines are much shorter...

Better apply for OCI than PIO

Just a note - if your children are minor, then its cheaper to apply for the PIO and then apply for "upgrade" to the OCI later, as minor kids are only half-price. This turns out to be even cheaper than getting 5-year visitor visas.

Lots of information in the "Life after GC" section of this forum. But, just like the whole GC mess, a lot depends on which Indian consulate you apply at. NY was pretty fast.