Any AUGUST 2010 filers out there? please post your time line here!

The comments above got me nervous... My wife and I are scheduled for the GC interview on 11/04/10. She did not get her EAD yet and did not have SSN. Without SSN, it is almost impossible to add my wife's name to my utility accounts as well as my bank accounts... I am very nervous about the proof of the bona fide marriage... Anyway, I prepared for the following items but am not sure what the definition of "Enough" in terms of USCIS...

- Auto Insurance
- Marriage Certificate
- Cable Bill
- Cell Phone Bill
- Affidavit Support Letter (This was submitted when I-485 was submitted)
- Retirement Account Beneficiary Receipt
- Wedding Ring Receipt
- Airline E-Tickets and Hotel Bills (4 past trips)
- Airline E-Tickets and Hotel Reservation (2 future trips)
- Photos (240 photos)

Hey Pachanga,

the IO told me that its not always about how much proof you have. Just by looking are pictures he figured out that this marriage was entered in the good faith thats why he took more pictures but whatever evidence you have is pretty good. I got a quick tip for you just be yourself and be confident and answer what you are asked thats it.
Dont get into the details otherwise expect more questions coming at you.

Following 2 RULES must be followed during an interview:

Rule No.1 - Answer what the IO asked for and nothing more.

Rule No.2 - Please see rule No. 1

Cheers!

Fadddu630,

Thank you for your advise. I was amaze that my wife created a photo album that contains 240 photos from a number of trips (Mexico City, San Francisco, Tijuana, Atlanta, and Chicago) as well as our small wedding. Only my close friends attended our wedding since our friends live in Mexico. But we hire a professional photographer to take our wedding photos. Our marriage stands on our true faith. We are not lying on our marriage. So I don't have any issue on our interview but was nervous.

Had interview. Now what?

My girlfriend had her green card interview on 10/14, and the interviewer said everything went well, but didn't actually say that she got it. The interviewer said he doesn't make the final decision. From what I've read here, it sounds like the interviewer does make that decision. What am I missing?

Also, how long after the interview do we need to wait to get the actual, physical green card?

Sometimes when they have any kind of doubt, they take it to their supervisor to seek approval. Could you pleae elaborate what kind of case your girl friend has?
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had interview. Now what?

Sometimes when they have any kind of doubt, they take it to their supervisor to seek approval. Could you please elaborate what kind of case your girl friend has?
Cheers!

I don't know all the technical details. I just know it's family based, and it's legit. Maybe he had to recuse himself because his daughter and my girl friend's daughter know each other. They found out during the interview they go to the same school.

Any idea how long to get the card?

Well everybody I am so very happy to see that some of us are getting their GC congratulation everybody. I still keep praying for the rest of us who hasnt reach that stage. Keep faith.

I don't know all the technical details. I just know it's family based, and it's legit. Maybe he had to recuse himself because his daughter and my girl friend's daughter know each other. They found out during the interview they go to the same school.

Any idea how long to get the card?

There is a slim possibility but of course a possibility. You may want to check her online case status and see whats happening. Worst come to worst scenario, if thirty days pass, she may call the USCIS and ask them.
Let me know if you need any further help!

Well everybody I am so very happy to see that some of us are getting their GC congratulation everybody. I still keep praying for the rest of us who hasnt reach that stage. Keep faith.

Hello my lovely friend. What is the current status of your filing?

Citi786,

Interview coming up this week - seems the F4 cases are all doing fine.
Goodluck to you and others this week..

Following 2 RULES must be followed during an interview:

Rule No.1 - Answer what the IO asked for and nothing more.

Rule No.2 - Please see rule No. 1

I disagree. This isn't a court of law - the IO has a lot of discretion - and appearing 'cagey' can set off alarm bells for them. If you are legit, then you should have nothing to hide. Engaging the IO in conversation and being forthcoming worked well for me. It makes you seem relaxed and confident, and they are more likely to approve you on the spot.

Now - if there is something you have to hide, or would rather not discuss - that's a different matter.

I disagree. This isn't a court of law - the IO has a lot of discretion - and appearing 'cagey' can set off alarm bells for them. If you are legit, then you should have nothing to hide. Engaging the IO in conversation and being forthcoming worked well for me. It makes you seem relaxed and confident, and they are more likely to approve you on the spot.

Now - if there is something you have to hide, or would rather not discuss - that's a different matter.

NikoSF,
I had gone through your interview experience and i congratulate you on being approved. There is always a reason why attorneys keep saying just answer what ever you are asked. In U.S i had seen alot that where ever you go even for a job interview you just answer what you are asked thats it not more than that. The thing behind it is that if you go in details you might get it in trouble its better to get approved in 10 mins rather than waiting for 45 mins or an hours in interview. Thats what my attorney said.

First of all congratulations to all the folks that have gone through the interview process and are now holding or just waiting to receive their GC. I really wish that we all have the same quick and pleasant experience that nikosF had... however I don't get my hopes too high... we all know how lucky our friend nikosF is... just look at his timeline: it's like the Mazda commercial zoom, zoom, zoom!! Mr. F: you should buy lottery tickets every time there is a big pot... I will not be surprised if you win once or twice in your life!
It's also great that these guys/gals are not disconnecting from the forum but are hanging around and sharing their info... very generous of you! we really really appreciate it!

Finally I have one follow up question for nikosF in case he wants to share and one idea for people to think about.

nikosF: Were you and the IO of the same ethnicity? in an ideal world this would not matter. But we are not in an ideal world. Your experience during that interview is almost unimaginable for me if you were say a black guy from some African country and the IO was middle aged white male from say one of the southern states. Judging from your description, I would think that you guys shared ethnicity and gender (say white males) and had some cultural affinity... say you are from northern Europe and he is from the Midwest here in the States. If it's OK, can you share this info?... It'll help us make more sense of your experience.

Ultimately, we have no control over who will be our IO. It's a random thing. Let's keep hoping we get a nice person with good training, someone who will focus on the facts and make a rapid and fair decision... amen!

Thinking about these issues has made me look into something else. It is something about which we do have a great deal of control. It's not something that can save a gravely deficient case (say you don't really qualify for the benefits) but it can help avoid unnecessary delays and un-pleasantries that may arise due to miscommunication, suspicion etc.

So here it is... do you know that every time you talk to someone face to face, there are actually two conversations going on? The first one, of course, is the words being exchanged... but there is also the conversation between the two subconscious minds via body language. Both conversations deliver messages. Hopefully the verbal dialogue will be straightforward for you to control. Just listen carefully to what you are being asked or told and watch what you say. The body language part may be trickier because most of us are not even aware that this conversation is going on... therefore we don't put any thoughts into "saying" the right thing (with our body, facial expression, hand gestures, etc). Normally this reply is automatic and driven by our emotions or instinct and may send the IO the wrong message.

Even if we don't plan to send deliberate messages to the IO, we want to learn about body language because we need to understand what the IO is saying through his body language so we can give the appropriate response... if he is friendly, let's respond in kind, if he is suspicious, let's tell him we are trustworthy and have nothing to hide, if he is angry, let's make sure we deflect the anger so it is not directed to us… etc.
For a quick crash course in body language... I found this website by doing research... it is loaded with useful information.
http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/body_language.htm
There is a lot of information there also about how to interact with people more effectively. I have not spent a lot oftime reading this material... so I don't know if there is some weird stuff that may offend people (mind control? whatever)... I think it will be helpful to take some time to review this material before the interview...
it may come handy specially if we are unlucky and get one of the bad IOs (little training, bad attitude, prejudiced, whatever). In any case, this skill (reading, speaking Body Language) is a very important one that you can use in almost every aspect of your life.
Enjoy!

TraderEc congratulations on your great news so very happy for you. I will be thinking of you and your family on your appt.

Wait a minute! karjoon... you are praying for every body but for my family and me, well... you are just "thinking about us"??? what's up with that???
LOL... ok, ok... I know... you were probably thinking... let me not mention prayer because this trader guy... he doesn't sound too religious... am I right? well, turns out that I believe God will listen to the sincere prayer of our hearts even when they are not said with our lips... so your "thoughts" will go up to him(her?) no matter what... may his blessings upon us be abundant like the rain that he sends over the Earth every day!

Agree or Disagree, your choice...........
Saying more than what you are asked is an excellent recipe to Open a Can or WORMS!!!!!!!!!!!

My Wife's Timeline

This can be added to the list if you like... Filed on 7/30, but all the cases have a date of 8/4....

Newark DO:

7/29/2010: Mailed i130, i485, i131, i765, i864, i693
7/30/2010: Packet delivered
8/7/2010: NOA's - i130, i485, i765, i131
8/12/2010: Biometrics Notice received: (appt 8/23/2010)
8/18/2010: Soft LUD on i130 & i485
8/23/2010: Biometrics done
10/1/2010: IL received (for 11/4/2010)
10/14/2010: EAD Approval email
10/19/2010: Soft LUD on i485, i765 & i131
10/21/2010: Soft LUD on i765 & i131
10/23/2010: EAD Received
10/25/2010: AP Received
11/04/2010: Interview ...?

nikosF: Were you and the IO of the same ethnicity? in an ideal world this would not matter. But we are not in an ideal world. Your experience during that interview is almost unimaginable for me if you were say a black guy from some African country and the IO was middle aged white male from say one of the southern states. Judging from your description, I would think that you guys shared ethnicity and gender (say white males) and had some cultural affinity... say you are from northern Europe and he is from the Midwest here in the States. If it's OK, can you share this info?... It'll help us make more sense of your experience.

So here it is... do you know that every time you talk to someone face to face, there are actually two conversations going on? The first one, of course, is the words being exchanged... but there is also the conversation between the two subconscious minds via body language.

Trader - you guessed correctly. We were of the same gender and ethnicity (I'm SE European, and he was a mid-westerner with German/Swedish roots). I won't deny that it helps, but I think you've hit the nail on the head with the second part of your post about non-verbal communications.

My strategy with everyone in life is to try to engage in a positive way - especially if I want something from the other person. I travel a lot for work and have entered the USA probably 100 times over the past 10 years. I've had a variety of CBP border agents - black, hispanic, white, women, men - and I'm always friendly, greet them, ask them how their day is, whether it's been a long shift, whatever. In my 100 interactions, almost every single one of them has been positive. I've got colleagues (everyone from white men to other shades of the rainbow) who always seem to get a difficult agent and get hassled. The difference is that they are often surly and feel a little resentful that this person is asking them personal questions.

In my work I interview a lot of people for jobs - let me tell you the person who answers only the question and nothing else usually doesn't get the job. I'm looking for people who are proactive and go 'above and beyond'.

So - back to the interview. I can't guarantee you will get a pleasant IO and everything will sail through. But sitting quietly on your hands, looking nervous and answering in mono-syllabic ways will make it seem like you've got something to hide. I'm not suggesting raising the fact you grew pot in your backyard - I'm talking about being friendly and engaging. Remember most people love talking about themselves, and few people take an interest. It's always safe if you shift the conversation to them (this goes for the job interview thing as well).

This is just my two cents worth. If you are legit - relax and enjoy the interview - you're about to become a US resident. Clearly if you struggle with English or something it makes this much more difficult, and if you are already in trouble (e.g. a Stokes interview) then keeping your mouth shut makes sense.

Hi Dalben,
Congrats...on IL and appointment..

I am also scheduled for Newark on 11/9/2010

Let us keep in touch.

This can be added to the list if you like... Filed on 7/30, but all the cases have a date of 8/4....

Newark DO:

7/29/2010: Mailed i130, i485, i131, i765, i864, i693
7/30/2010: Packet delivered
8/7/2010: NOA's - i130, i485, i765, i131
8/12/2010: Biometrics Notice received: (appt 8/23/2010)
8/18/2010: Soft LUD on i130 & i485
8/23/2010: Biometrics done
10/1/2010: IL received (for 11/4/2010)
10/14/2010: EAD Approval email
10/19/2010: Soft LUD on i485, i765 & i131
10/21/2010: Soft LUD on i765 & i131
10/23/2010: EAD Received
10/25/2010: AP Received
11/04/2010: Interview ...?

Hey citi786 well we had our bio done on 10-04-10 so we are just waiting. Looking forward for your day next week go forward with all my prayers and sincerest wishes for you and family.