• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

any advice regarding long wait for FP notice?

researcher29

Registered Users (C)
Hi, it's been more than 6 weeks since my AOS package was received at the Chicago lockbox center and I still have not received any biometrics appointment letter. I know that a few others (like alincosma) have also had to wait a long time, but it's still pretty frustrating. I live in Columbus, Ohio and here is what's happened so far:
Apr 11 AOS at Chicago; Apr 19 first NOA received
May 1 INFOPASS appt at local office: I spoke to a lady who said that something was mailed out Apr 28
May 15 INFOPASS appt at local office: I spoke to a man who said that my case was transferred to the local office on May 3; he told me to keep waiting

I was really worried that the thing sent on Apr28 notice was lost in the mail but maybe the first official meant that the case was transferred to the local office, not that an appointment letter was mailed out on that date.

I was wondering if anyone has advice for what I should do (aside from continuing to wait?). Thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
FP appointment

It took me about 3 months to get my biometrics appt. After I received it I made an infopass appt to speak with an immigration officer to see if I could get it done earlier. A week later I had the EAD in hand, and 2 months later I got an interview notice. I have now been waiting for a month after interview was approved, and still no green card. It is only a waiting game. :(

researcher29
you will get it pretty soon, I think
in my case it also took very long and I thought I was the only one, but it seems like sometimes it just happens.
good luck and don't lose hope, you will get it

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. I'm still hopeful that everything will arrive with ample time for processing, but waiting in the dark is painful. It's particulalry frustrating because I can't plan anything else (job interviews, trips, etc.) until I know when my appointments are. Just some random comments:

--As per conversations with USCIS officials, I followed the "rules" to the letter and waited for my number to become current before submitting the AOS package. I submitted a week into April, because I waited for an April-dated employment verification letter to arrive. If I'd known how long things could take, I might have submitted 1-2 months earlier. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to an individual's processing timeline. Alincosma (who also waited a long time) also lives in the Midwest, so maybe people in this region just have a longer wait. Technically, early paperwork submission is grounds for denial, though, so I guess everyone has to weigh the risks for him/herself.

--I called the USCIS hotline a few times. Most customer representatives told me there was nothing to tell me... however, one suggested that I schedule my own appointment (even though my first NOA said to wait for a written appt notice). He said to call the usual number and chose the options for changing the FP appt date. I haven't tried this yet, but I will if I don't get the FP appt notice by the end of June.

--I suppose I'll contact a Senator if things get really urgent (for example, still no notice by the end of July). I've heard that some people get their cases moving very quickly with such aid. However, I think it's too early for me to ask for aid at this stage of the process, so I'll keep waiting.

Good luck to everyone else.

In my opinion you should not wait until the end of July. Contact them latest next week. When FBI gets biometrics they will start fingerprint check and name check, so if they start it sometime in early August it might not be enough time. What if the name check will take a little bit longer and what if there are some problems with your fingerprints. Don't delay. Contact them now.

Like you I waited for my number to be current and submitted everything on April, and I already did my biometrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, vk96. I agree that I can't wait too long and will attempt to schedule my own biometrics appt if I don't receive a letter by mid-June (2 months after filing). The local USCIS officials I've already contacted all said that I should keep waiting and implied that I was being too impatient. I am thus trying to space out my inquiries to avoid alienating the official(s) who may be responsible for interviewing me.
As for contacting a senator, I've been advised to wait longer before resorting to such measures. I have a friend who works for a Congressman from North Dakota and knows the immigration person for that state. Although they have no jurisdiction over Ohio (where I live), they were able to look up my case and said that things look OK. They suggested that I wait another month before taking a more aggressive approach. Waiting is painful and waiting too long can be dangerous, but I'll wait a few more weeks.

VK96
I created an account on their web page and it says that the last time they updated my file was April 9 2006. Could you check your and see how many times they updated yours, I'm afraid now that they might have sent me something too and got lost in the mail.

alincosma said:
VK96
I created an account on their web page and it says that the last time they updated my file was April 9 2006. Could you check your and see how many times they updated yours, I'm afraid now that they might have sent me something too and got lost in the mail.

It says Last updated: 05/30/2006

I heard that this online case status service is very unreliable. I heard that, for example, even months after people receive their GC, the online status says that it is pending.

You mentioned before that you made an InfoPass appointment and they say that there is no interview date set for you. May be in the beginning of July you should contact a Senator or Congressman?

I have set an infopass for 29 this month. I don't know yet if my name check is done or not and if I can find out over the phone or not. I'm getting desperate with this case. First too long for FP now for the third notice.
My wife received the EAD but the SS Office din't issue any SSN and she applied 4 weeks ago for one. Any suggestions?