Anthrax affected H1b wish to revalidate visa at Chennai US Con.

water37

Registered Users (C)
I had sent my passport for revalidation of the H-1B visa to the Department of State office in St. Louis MO, USA. The passport was received in their office on October 22nd 2001.In the ensuing anthrax scare after the September 11 terrorist attack, all mails received by the abovementioned office was sequestered. My passport happened to be one of the 300 passports that have since been sequestered. Their status is now deemed unknown or lost.
       I have since applied for a duplicate passport at the Indian consulate,SFO and received it. I plan to make a trip to India next month, and need to get the H1B visa stamp on my duplicate passport.
So I have 2 questions -

1] When I leave the US, I will have a passport with no I-94 and no visa stamp, but a DOS letter stating that the ori.g passport is lost. Is this safe ?
2] While applying for visa revalidation at Chennai US conuslate, I can only present a certified copy of my 1-797,since the original is lost. Will this be accepted ?

Please respond as soon as possible.

Under special circumstances...

1. Yes 2. Yes.
Make sure that you have other supporting documents from your lawyer and employer. You can also find out from your lawyer whether it will be possible to request INS to send notification about your I797 approval to the relevant consulate...

Anthrax affected H1B wish to revalidate in Chennai - Question

Hello Jaxen,
      Thanks for your input.I am trying to gather as
much information as I can before I leave for India, I
wanted to ask you -
Have you gone through this process in the recent past
?Do you know of anyone who has gone through it ?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

NO

But have seen / heard of similar situations where H1 was lost. You have a very genuine reason of not having the original H1 approval. I don\'t see why you should not get the Stamping.

Gone through this

I had the same problem. I sent my passports to DOS, which were received on 10/22/2001. DOS sent me a FAX stating ANTHRAX problem. Had to travel to New York to get the duplicate passports for Family.

At New Delhi you cannot appear for the interview at the embassy as it used to be. From the Airport I went to the drop box office. I had to spend half of the day to explain my postion. They just wanted the originals I797\'s etc. Lady called the Embassy and after that asked me to submit the documents but told me I am doing it at my own risk. Had to go north 250 KM to my town so went in the evening.

Three days latter I received the passports back with my Drafts for Visa fees and a green paper saying that under some section Visa cannot be issued and adviced me to appear for an Interview at a specified time with the following Documents:

1. Reference Letters from my current and previous two employers
2. Resume stating my job profile.
3. Letter of employment
4. Bank statements, pay Stubs
5. Photograph of current place of work one each from outside and one of my place of work.
6. Same type of photos for my USA office.
7. W-2 Forms of all the employees of my USA company.
8. Degree Certificate
9. Marksheets for all the years of engineering
10 Audited balance sheet for my USA company.
some other things can\'t rembember now....

I had a talk with my lawyer before leaving. He told me I just have to have all the documents that he used to get the H-1 B extension in USA. They were:
1. I-129 LCA from DOL (ORIGINAL)
2. I-797 (Since I did not have original, CERTIFIED was good)
3. Degree Certificate

I went to the Interview next day. The lady was very considerate. He asked me my last year Income Tax Return that I had given to IRS. Asked me my current paystub and employment letter. Asked me why the two figures do not tally. Told them that got the new salary in October only, so was on old salary was good for nine months so the figure on 1040 is different and less. She told me that she is also suffering from the Anthrax problem. Diplomatic pouches which are inasscesible have in them her bills and the mortgage company might take away her home. I aslo told her that this is not the first time I am going to US and some of the required documents are for first timmers. She just laughed. I told her if she did not give a visa I wouls loose my house and both of my cars. And possibly my green card for which I have got my receipts for I-485 since I did not have AP. I told her that next time I would travel on AP. She asked me about my greencard progress. She asked me for my Lost passport photocopy which had my old H-1B.

She asked me to go to a courier counter to pay the visa and courier fees. Got the passports stamped next day by courier.

BOTTOM LINE: Do not risk. Non-Immigrant-Visa is a gamble. I used to think it is my right as DOS greated a mess. I have done no fraud. But I lost sleep for a day. If I was not issued a visa I would have lost every thing. If you have applied for G/C wait for AP. That is the best bet.

DOS have started processing October passports (300 passports). I called them up to ask for my $360 refund. They said they have started the processing but would not comment about the dates. you can call DOS and tell them your problem, they do listen.

If you any how have to travel take these min. documents:

1. Current Employment Letter
2. Resume
3. Certified I-797
4. Original I-129
5. Your W-2\'s
6. Last three years 1040\'s
7. Copy of the passport lost showing your old visa.
8. Letter from DOS
9. Degree ORIGINAL
10. Reason for your travel
11. Return tickets

In case you need any help e-mail me at bedia@itc-1.com

Hope it helps...