Another selective service Q

trueliquidity

I searched the boards extensively, but did not seem to find a situation like mine. My interview is coming up in 2 days, and i found out several days ago just what selective service was and how it applied to me. I have been in the united states as a permanent resident since 17, and now I am 25, which means I am just under the 26 year cutoff. My reason for not being aware of selective service was that I hardly every set foot in a post office, and only recently got my drivers license. The schools I attended were geared to international students, and I was never made aware of such a registration requirement. Anyways, reading through the selective service articles, it states that

Applicants Under 26 Years of Age

A man under 26 years of age who refuses to register for Selective Service cannot demonstrate that he is eligible for naturalization. Every male naturalization applicant under 26 years of age must provide evidence of registration for Selective Service. The examination of a naturalization application filed by a man under 26 years of age who has not registered for Selective Service by the time of the naturalization examination must be continued to afford the applicant an opportunity to register. If the appl icant refuses to register for Selective Service after being afforded a reasonable opportunity to register, the naturalization application must be denied. The decision denying the application must state specifically that the applicant has refused, after given an opportunity to do so, to register with Selective Service, and that the person, therefore, is not eligible for naturalization because he is not well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. The decision must cite § 316(a)(3).

According to that article, it seems that I will be afforded the opportunity to register with selective service at my interview. My question is, should I go ahead and register today at the post office anyways, and bring a photocopy, or wait till the day or my interview when I am afforded the opportunity? Thanks guys.

I would suggest go ahead and register online and take the proof with you.

You have to register between 18 - 26.

I became a permanent resident just before my 26th birthday, I registered after I got my GC and I was asked to show proof at the interview.

Good luck