1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American married to a canadian citizen green card process???

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by radison_lady, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. radison_lady

    radison_lady Registered Users (C)

    Hello everyone i am new to this web site.

    my husband is a canadian citizen and i am an american citizen, we have a 5 month old daughter together he is trying to get a green card to live here what would the proper steps be for him to get her asap? As well as getting a work permit?

    One thing that has came to my attention is the affidavit of support, I am currently a stay at home mom, he is the provider for the three of us. So how would i go about that?

    I have relatives that would be more than willing to sign the affidavit of support to get him here would that be acceptable?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Heretic

    Heretic Registered Users (C)

    Please elaborate a bit. Is your husband currently in the US? Are you?

    As for the I-864, you can use co-sponsors or personal assets to help qualify.
  3. radison_lady

    radison_lady Registered Users (C)

    No he is currently back in canada, I am living in the united states.

    On the I-864 do they ask for proof? If so of what kind of evidence?
  4. Heretic

    Heretic Registered Users (C)

    Filing for a K-3 visa for your husband may be appropriate in your case. Once he has that, he can enter and adjust status to permanent residence, as well as apply for an EAD (I-765).

    Here is a good place to start.

    I think you file an I-134 affidavit of support when petitioning for the K-3, and an I-864 when he ultimately adjusts status in the US.

    As for evidence, follow the instructions on the forms carefully. Tax returns, W-2's, letters from employers etc. for evidence of income, and proof of title to property or vehicles, savings, etc. for assets.

Share This Page