all original I-94s filed with I-485

sarikanarya

Registered Users (C)

Our company lawyer sent all of my original I-94s to the INS with the I-485 application. I have the copies of I-94s but was wondering whether this would create an issue once I got the approval and go for PP stamping. Can I just submit the copies? Anybody with experience?

Thanks.

What??? Your lawyer sends ORIGINAL I-94s for I485??? S/he should be fired.

It is an interesting question though. I guess few people have this kind of experience.

Originally posted by sarikanarya

Our company lawyer sent all of my original I-94s to the INS with the I-485 application. I have the copies of I-94s but was wondering whether this would create an issue once I got the approval and go for PP stamping. Can I just submit the copies? Anybody with experience?

Thanks.

Another Unbelievable (But Tragic) Scenario!

This only shows that there are a lot of lawyers out there who have no clue. I guess, we should invite a few to browse thru this discussion board and get educated!!

Pressure the lawyer to communicate with the INS on his/her dumb mistake and collect the originals. You need it for stamping (and if you travel before stamping).

Good Luck!

We are in the same boat...

Our company lawyer sent our (me and my husband) original I-94s to INS. I was really concerned about this so I called INS if I could get it back.

The IIO was nice enough to explain to me that I should not worry. If in case I need to travel, I just need the Advance Parole document. But, I could indeed request to have them back.

As for the interview, I'm not sure that it's needed, in my case. From what I know, interviews are done if its a family-based 485 application. If it's employment-based, INS will just send the result (approval).

sarikanarya, aelana

why blame the lawyer, the poor mentally wretched fellows?

Let me ask u this, why did u guys, at the first place send the original I-94's to the lawyer?

Whoever has asked u to send the original I-94s, was it ur lawyer or ur own brainchild?

Let me ask u this, why did u guys, at the first place send the original I-94's to the lawyer?

The lawyer asked for our passports and all other pertinent data for 485 application. The way how it works in our company, is that, we have to go through the HR Director. WE can not immediately talk to the company lawyer. Most of the original documents were sent back to us, except for the I94. We've asked for thiss but he said, it'll have to be the original. I called INS to confirm that they have the original copy, and yes they have.

Whoever has asked u to send the original I-94s, was it ur lawyer or ur own brainchild?

???? ???

HR Director????????????? Would he know the meaning of keeping the original I-94?

No one in USA can keep the original except for u (the legal immigrant) while in USA or the POE officer (when u r out of USA).

I would have given this piece of small info. to the said HR Director rather than listen to his half baked knowledge in this matter.

Hello,

Don't be hard on lawyer. In this country, Everybody trust computer than human.

Let us take example: If you goto walmart....

Purchased $4.81
you gave casher $10....( he suppose to return $5.19 )
Suppose computer says to return $9.19.
Casher will return all that money. Why??? . He doesn't think about calculation. He just trust his mini display.

Same thing, your lawyer did. He just seen I485 paper requirement. He asked you to send.
You trusted your lawyer like computer display. you sent papers.

Never do this again. Please think twice and learn from posting.

I think, if you have duplicate copy. it is fine. they can search your name in their database. ( this is only my guess)

People lose papers. But they may have database to search.

Take care.

get the duplicate card from INS

Friends,
I dont know how it happened. My lawyer told me to send the copies of I-94 i did . Actually when I sent my passport copies to my lawyer , i mentioned that my I-94 is card is expired which i attahced to my passport . but i have a valid i-94 card while H1 visa is transferd. I mentioned the same to my lawyer.

For your case u need not worry , draft a letter stating the INS that you submitted the orginal i-94 card to INS along with 485 forms. Go to www.ins.gov , pick the form to get the duplicate I-94 card, then u will be okay.
Dont worry guys , everything will be okay.

good luck.

siva

Last edited by a moderator: