After US Citizenship, should we surrender Indian passport??

goodguy09

Registered Users (C)
I got my US Citizenship & passport last month. Now, I am wondering how do I "surrender" the Indian passport?

Does "surrendering" actually mean the Indian passport is taken away or is it simply that the Indian passport is stamped "invalid" or something? If you have done this, please let me know. Thanks,

You have to send it to deshi consulate/embassy and they will send it back after stamping it as "cancelled." They will also cut the edges of the passport. In future when the dual citizenship papers are ready (before the world crumbles and the humanity disappears from the face of earth, that is. To formulate rules and papers these idiots need 8 months? What sort of nincompoops are they? And why is the moron minister tytler going around the globe instead of finalizing things and speeding up stuff?) you can send your cancelled desi passport to prove your earlier citizenship and get the dual papers. HTH

I did not know of sending the Indian Passport for cancellation when I went to New York for Indian visa on my new US passport. The officer did ask for my Indian passport for varification. Then he just handed it over back to me where as I was expecting that he might tell me that the Indian Passpot is now cancelled or taken back by the consulate. But he just gave my passport back without any endorsement on it.

You need to send Indian pass to the Ind embassy to get it cancelled. At least, thats the law, weather they enforce it or not

I have heard about people having both passport (not surrendering them basically) :)

Does anybody know if there is any risk associated with it. Also if you travel to desh and just show the IP. Live in India as a complete indian national (No OIC) and in US (and when you travel to europe etc) on US passport.

I have heard about people having both passport (not surrendering them basically) :)

Does anybody know if there is any risk associated with it. Also if you travel to desh and just show the IP. Live in India as a complete indian national (No OIC) and in US (and when you travel to europe etc) on US passport. :) :)

You will get your Indian Pass stamped "Cancelled" . But its possible to do what bsethi suggested. Could walk into India with Indian pass and back to US with foreign pass .. But Im sure its illegal per Indian law

Folks, It is possible what Psethi suggested but illegal. By law we're supposed to surrender the Indian passports within 3 months of acquiring foreign nationality. The fine is $250 for not surrendering in 3 months. Also, it is against the law to travel on India Passport after obtaining another country's citizenship (because India doesn't support dual citizenship) according to Passport Act 1967 and a penalty of $250 per travel on Indian Passport is applicable with up to 5 yrs of imprisonment. Below is the exact official language from Indian Embassy website:

"It is a punishable offence to obtain or hold an Indian Passport suppressing information about his/her nationality or hold Indian Passport or travel document after aquiring US (foreign) citizenship. The violator shall be punishable by imprisonment up to 5 years and with fine up to US$ 1250/- under Passports Act 1967. The Penalty for each such travel to India on Indian Passport after acquiring foreign nationality is US$ 250/-. "

Last edited by a moderator:
any specific reason to dig up this post 6 years, 6 months and a few days after it was written. while the basic premise of what you say has not changed, a lot has happened in the interim.