After landing....???

infoplease

Registered Users (C)
Once the landing process is completed, and the PR card is mailed to you at an address in Canada, do we need to apply for some document that will act as proof, that the person is not living in Canada. I am asking this as I work in the US and will not be moving to Canada, as soon as I complete the landing process. I have read about the travel document, my understanding is that the travel document is needed for entering into Canada after landing process.What is the documentation for maintianing the permanent residency by living outside of Canada?

Is my thought process correct!!

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences or advice greatly appreciated.

Hi

infoplease said:
Once the landing process is completed, and the PR card is mailed to you at an address in Canada, do we need to apply for some document that will act as proof, that the person is not living in Canada. I am asking this as I work in the US and will not be moving to Canada, as soon as I complete the landing process. I have read about the travel document, my understanding is that the travel document is needed for entering into Canada after landing process.What is the documentation for maintianing the permanent residency by living outside of Canada?

Is my thought process correct!!

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences or advice greatly appreciated.

You have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain your PR status. You can't maintain it by living in the US.

PMM

PMM said:
Hi

You have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain your PR status. You can't maintain it by living in the US.

PMM

Thank you for the info. My question is geared more to cover the period between completing landing process and finally moving to Canada. Because it may take about 6 months to move to Canada, once the landing is completed. Do I need a document to cover me for these 6 months as an absentee PR of Canada.

Please advise.

infoplease said:
Thank you for the info. My question is geared more to cover the period between completing landing process and finally moving to Canada. Because it may take about 6 months to move to Canada, once the landing is completed. Do I need a document to cover me for these 6 months as an absentee PR of Canada.

Please advise.

I believe you don't need to have document to prove this 6 months perod. As long as you have proof for totally 2 years living in Canada within 5 years, you should be safe.