After Citizenship with Name change (new Thread)

Do you think this thread helps?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

• None of the above

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
zenusa,

I got mine in a week's time.

Guess what, my passport status has changed. It says that my passport has been mailed to be reach me on 7/3. If that's true, I should be receiving it within 3 weeks of applying (6/14).

COGNAC

zenusa,

I got mine in a week's time.

Guess what, my passport status has changed. It says that my passport has been mailed to be reach me on 7/3. If that's true, I should be receiving it within 3 weeks of applying (6/14).

COGNAC

That is great! Congrats! It has been only a week I have applied and it just made to the status as "Your application has been received". Although I did expedited service, it is showing as normal routine. I am not sure how that happend.

Received the passport earlier yesterday by priority mail. It took 2 weeks and 2 days.

COGNAC

Name Change at SSA

Yes. Need to submit the naturalization certificate in original. (Haven't experienced this though). Court record for Name change will not be in original.

Also, if you get your DMV covered before applying. This ensures that you have at least one photo ID is with you (with the new name) in the absence of the GC. This ensures any local international travel to Canada and Mexico with a passport appln reciept and driver's license.

COGNAC

I intend to have my name changed. How do I change my name at SSA and how to I file for name change at court

I intend to have my name changed. How do I change my name at SSA and how to I file for name change at court

If you are intending to change name with naturalization, you have to fill form N-400 with the name change details (see the form). If you have already applied and didn't apply for name change, make sure you raise this with the IO during the interview.

On the day of the citizenship oath, you'll recieve :
a. Naturalization certificate and
b. Name change court record.

After this, it's as simple as heading to the SSA with these documents.

COGNAC

Name Change

I went for citizenship interview this morning (Aug 1). The Officer had my birth certificate (let's say with name JOHN SMITH), but he did not have the name change document that was done in 1979 changing my name to PATRICK SMITH).

I came to USA as PATRICK SMITH and all of my documents/ID/SS card bear the name PS, including my current passport and green card. (I am a bit puzzled why they don't have the name change document on their file, as they issued the green card under PATRICK SMITH back in 2002)

The Officer submitted the naturalization application under JOHN SMITH and asked me to sign a name change petition to PATRICK SMITH.

I am due for a sworn in on Aug 24. Will the Naturalization Certificate bear the name JOHN or PATRICK? If it is JOHN, will there be an additional document saying it is now changed to PATRICK SMITH?

I have travel plan on Sep 12 and I am very nervous about not getting a passport in time, not to mention which name will appear on my NC. The letter for sworn-in ceremony bears the name JOHN. (And I have no IDs bearing that name as the name change was done when I was 10 years old)

Thank you.

My middle name and last name was changed after marriage before coming to US. My native country's pass port was issued with my name after marriage. All processing within US was with my name after marriage. My GC was issued with that name.

Now during the naturalization interview IO looked at the marriage certificate asked me questions related to my maiden and middle name. IO also mentioned if I want my middle name on NC it will delay process. Not to delay the process I chose to have NC without my middle name and took the oath on the same day. My NC has my first and last name.

While applying for US passport I included my middle name on the application. Will I get passport with middle name? or it will be just like NC. What can be done to add middle name on my PP later?

Thank you.

Why do they ask for my Credit Report when I appear for name change at court house.
I have a Court Date set for next Friday to get my name changed. However the court clerk told me that I need to bring my Credit Report with me when I appear.
Is that normal procedure or something I need to look into?

My Credit is okay except for few collections. Someone tell me and how long does a name change take at the court when you appear?
Just curious..

need help

I just applied for my citizenship with a name change. Will that delay the citizenship process? What else is involved in tha name change? Should I not do the name change? How long does it normally take to the citizenship process to be conpleted? thank you so much... please respond to Humbertosqueiroz@hotmail.com thanks

Homi777, I had a similar experience during my interview. Have you found out whether you can add back your middle name on your passport? Or did your name got changed during the naturalization process, so you no longer have your middle name? Thanks!

Can I go back to my original name after naturalization? and how?

During naturalization, I changed my original first name to middle name, and chose another name (americanized) as my new first name. I took the oath yesterday and received the naturalization certificate with the new name. Now I realized how much trouble that will cause so I wonder if I can change my name back. How can that be done?

During naturalization, I changed my original first name to middle name, and chose another name (americanized) as my new first name. I took the oath yesterday and received the naturalization certificate with the new name. Now I realized how much trouble that will cause so I wonder if I can change my name back. How can that be done?

Your new name is now your legal name. In order to get your old name back, you now have to undergo the official name change process. This is done through your local court and can take a couple of months.

I changed my last name during the naturalization process and it really hasn't been as much trouble as you think it'll be. All in all, it took a couple of weeks to notify all appropriate parties (credit cards, bank accounts, etc.) and receive new documents. In fact, it'll be more of a hassle to change your new name back to your old one.

Hi Vorpal,
Thanks for your reply!
One problem I have is that I booked an international airticket before naturalzation with my old name. I called airline, they say I will have to purchase a new ticket if I want to change the name. Have you had this problem before? It might be ok since my original name is still on my new passport although it's not complete? Anyone else had this kind of experience before?

my original name is still on my new passport although it's not complete? Anyone else had this kind of experience before?

Are you referring to the passport issued by your original country of citizenship? If this is the case, you are required by law to leave and enter the U.S. with a U.S. passport. Since your naturalization certificate will have your new name, your U.S. passport will have your new name as well. What you can do is bring the original name change certificate with you when you travel. That proves that you are the same person.

Did I need to send the Name change certificate that I received during oath ceremony along with the Naturalization Certificate for the passport application ? Or they just need the original Naturalization certificate only ? Of course I am the first time applicant for US passport.

Did I need to send the Name change certificate that I received during oath ceremony along with the Naturalization Certificate for the passport application ? Or they just need the original Naturalization certificate only ? Of course I am the first time applicant for US passport.
Did the acceptance facility (USPS, I presume?) made a photocopy of your other ID? If it has your old name, it would be better to send the name change court order as well. If your ID already has a new name, then I would not worry about it.

Thanks König, I went to DMV right after Oath and received a new DL with new name right there. so I applied the PP without sending the court order.

When you apply for a new SS card, do you need your naturalization certificate or will the new driver license work as the ID?

I do indeed want to apply for new passport before the fees go up.

My plan:
-Apply for Driver license.
-Apply for U.S. Passport.
-Apply for new SS card some time later when I have time.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
When you apply for a new SS card, do you need your naturalization certificate or will the new driver license work as the ID?
In my case, the SS clerk wanted to see the court order granting the name change. It was part of my naturalisation certificate, so I used it to apply for a new SS card.

My plan:
-Apply for Driver license.
-Apply for U.S. Passport.
-Apply for new SS card some time later when I have time.
It will work OK if you are not planning to change your job soon. Otherwise, I would recommend to apply for a SS number right after naturalisation.

NEED HELP plz
I did pass my citizenship interview and test on March 4, 2010. As i request name change (my whole name), I still haven't got approval of my NC. I do not know how long it gonna take to get it done. Someone here posted they check credit report, is that for sure? Please someone share me your experience about this.....thanks...