• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of Suuport for Sri Lankan GC winners

madu12

Registered Users (C)
I am from Sri Lanka and and having few question about the affidavit of support. Sri Lankan embassy is asking for a leter from the sponsor for the interview.

What they asked is
"Sponsor Letter - letter should contain the sponsor’s complete address & Telephone Number"

1. Do I need I-134 or I864 for the interview.

2. How the embassy check whether the sponsor can support me or he/she has given such sponosr letters for others (if he has done so) and his/her her income

I am from Sri Lanka and and having few question about the affidavit of support. Sri Lankan embassy is asking for a leter from the sponsor for the interview.

What they asked is
"Sponsor Letter - letter should contain the sponsor’s complete address & Telephone Number"

1. Do I need I-134 or I864 for the interview.

NO, but......no guarantee that they will NOT ask for at least i-134 if they feels a need for it after interview.
If you can, get an i-134, if not do not worry too much.

2. How the embassy check whether the sponsor can support me or he/she has given such sponosr letters for others (if he has done so) and his/her her income

My understanding is that they do not go after these info in a big way.
May be a phone call to him/her the most they could do since that letter essentially has no legal bearing as far as US INA is concerned.
They at CMB take these letter from sponsor as a 'good faith assurance' that you can survive at least your 1st 3-6 months in US. Of course the 'big picture' of your case will decide how serious they will consider each of your supporting documents. Have all your educational, marriage and work related documents etc. in good order, get a simple sponsor letter with (his/her tax form or employer letter) and you own bank balance/assets info and you should be alright.

Good Luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck !

Thanks for the reply.

Anyway I can show about 25000 USD (5000 usd in cash in my accounts + 20000 USD as my EPF balance in central bank of Sri Lanka which can be withdrawed afrer rceceving GC).

Hey! Guys,
My mom is a DV2010 winner..and waiting for our no to get current. But this fall that is on September my university starts, so I have to be in USA by September. But according to the bulletin we're expecting our no to get current on somewhere around July. So my question is do I have to obtain F1 and be on time in University or I should wait for the DV2010 interview. As I see if i wait till the DV process I wont be able to stay on time in Univ. So is there a way I can get things sorted out? I mean if we speak with KCC will they help us by sending the 2nd NL earlier and so on.
If anyone can give me some advice on this issue..I really would be grateful.
Thanks.

magna7 I understand your dilemma and I am hoping someone with more experience with respect to the timeline of the F1 visa can advice you. If it were me however, I would go ahead with my F1 application because as we all know there are so many hiccups in the DV process, including administrative processing.
I don't think they can send the 2nd NL any sooner but the fact remains your mom has to wait on her interview appointment whenever it is set. I would advice that in the mean time you try and get ALL your documents ready so there are no unnecessary keep backs in issuing the DV visa. Good luck. (I didn't want to mention this because I think you should know by now that you have to be under 21 to get the visa benefit from your mom.)

Hey! Guys,
My mom is a DV2010 winner..and waiting for our no to get current. But this fall that is on September my university starts, so I have to be in USA by September. But according to the bulletin we're expecting our no to get current on somewhere around July. So my question is do I have to obtain F1 and be on time in University or I should wait for the DV2010 interview. As I see if i wait till the DV process I wont be able to stay on time in Univ. So is there a way I can get things sorted out? I mean if we speak with KCC will they help us by sending the 2nd NL earlier and so on.
If anyone can give me some advice on this issue..I really would be grateful.
Thanks.

a) If I may point this out.....please follow the correct net-etiquette in the forum and post your Q as a new thread or only in ONE of the past threads.

That said..

b) You are free to apply for F1 now since your DS-230 sent to KCC has no legal binding until you pay fees, face the DV-GC interview and sign it. (ie. you have not yet shown immigrant intent, technically)

c) But then, even if you get an F1 now, it will be canceled BEFORE your GC interview at the consulate.

So there is no point in worrying about the F1 at this moment. If you get F1 and leave for US before your Mom's interview, you will even jeopardize her chances too, unless you change your case to a 'Follow-to-join' procedure before her interview. (Talk to a good lawyer in USA if you want to do that, basically it is very complicated with the little time you have before Sept. 30th and may well be an unrealistic option)

d) You are in a catch 22 situation. Read these forums' wealth of info and understand your Mom's case well and make sure it has a 'realistic' chance of success at the DV-GC interview at the consulate. 'Cos if it fails you will have a hard time later to apply for an F1 visa since you have shown immigrant intent by then.

My best advise is, study your Mom's chances closely....if confident go for it (you only got all the info, we are just assuming its good and pray for your success! ). If not forget about it and go with your F1.

If you wait for GC interview, you will most probably get a decision by mid Sept. the latest. Ask time from your univ. But if you have to pay them well in advance, I would ask them to deffer the enrollment till next spring.

Wish you Good Luck !

NuvF you have made a lot of sense and have given him some good advice. It is a hard decision because no one can see into the future but he must look at both scenarios realistically and make the best decision. BTW the rules said the child must be under 21 at the time of the entry for the DV, in order to get a visa from the parent's case.
Good luck magna.

Hi,my sponsor visa expires May 2011. I am current for june. Can i change his adress or there is no effect? Am a kenyan.

a) If I may point this out.....please follow the correct net-etiquette in the forum and post your Q as a new thread or only in ONE of the past threads.

That said..

b) You are free to apply for F1 now since your DS-230 sent to KCC has no legal binding until you pay fees, face the DV-GC interview and sign it. (ie. you have not yet shown immigrant intent, technically)

c) But then, even if you get an F1 now, it will be canceled BEFORE your GC interview at the consulate.

So there is no point in worrying about the F1 at this moment. If you get F1 and leave for US before your Mom's interview, you will even jeopardize her chances too, unless you change your case to a 'Follow-to-join' procedure before her interview. (Talk to a good lawyer in USA if you want to do that, basically it is very complicated with the little time you have before Sept. 30th and may well be an unrealistic option)

d) You are in a catch 22 situation. Read these forums' wealth of info and understand your Mom's case well and make sure it has a 'realistic' chance of success at the DV-GC interview at the consulate. 'Cos if it fails you will have a hard time later to apply for an F1 visa since you have shown immigrant intent by then.

My best advise is, study your Mom's chances closely....if confident go for it (you only got all the info, we are just assuming its good and pray for your success! ). If not forget about it and go with your F1.

If you wait for GC interview, you will most probably get a decision by mid Sept. the latest. Ask time from your univ. But if you have to pay them well in advance, I would ask them to deffer the enrollment till next spring.

Wish you Good Luck !

Hi! Nuvf,
Thanks for the advice. Well ,yes I am not 21 yet that makes me entitled for my moms DV2010 entry. Hopefully next month i.e., in May(in the July bulletin) our number should be current. But then again, do you have any idea of when our interview would be scheduled? How long does it take for the 2NL after the number gets current? Do you have any idea? If we explain our problem to KCC is there any way of getting a favorable reply?

What is your appx. Region-DV number ? What consulate? (CMB?)
'Usually' ppl get the 2nd NL during the month number come out in the bulletin.

Good Luck !