Affidavit of support ?

nighttrain79

Registered Users (C)
I am a US citizen currently in Canada. I am applying for permanent residency in Canada with my Canadian Wife sponsoring me. Eventually I want to sponsor her to become a permanent resident of the US. When it comes to meeting the requirements for sponsorship I know I need to an affidavit of support, my question is: Can I work for 3 years in Canada and use that income to sponsor my wife? I will be filing taxes in both countries just like I am supposed to so when it comes time to complete the affidavit of support can I just use my 1040 IRS forms to show adequate income? Does the proof of income need to be from working the US or will I be able to earn money from a job in Canada and use that as proof?

Income from a non-US job cannot be used for the Affidavit of Support for a US green card. Allowable non-US income must be passive income (e.g. interest, dividends, royalties, rental property).

However, you can use assets regardless of where in the world they're located, as long as they can be sold and the money sent to the US (in US currency) in a reasonable time frame. Since you are a US citizen who would be filing for your spouse, every $3 of assets offsets the income requirement by $1 (normally the ratio is 5 to 1). And you can combine assets with your spouse. So with sufficient assets, your income won't matter.

So, Could my mother sponsor my wife and her 2 children? She lives & works in the United States. For instance, my wife has 2 kids which are my step children, i have no income proof for the the last 3 years in the US because I was a full-time student, my mother earns around 24,000 from her job and she receives another 10,000 from social security. Can i sponsor my wife and our kids but can my mom co-sign as the financial provider? Also, would our household size be 4 or 5?

Last edited by a moderator: