affidavit of support I-864i

tony king

Hi all,

I am currently filling my K visa, my wife is a USA citizen who has been living in the UK since she was 13 (we are 24 now). I have had the interview in london and passed, the only thing missing from my application was part of the affidavit of support. As my wife has been living in the UK for the last 11 years she has not filled and tax returns in the US, she has never even had a bank account in the US let alone a job.

What we are trying to do is compile our assets so we can get the ball moving. We were both fully employed up until 2 weeks ago. We have a house in our name in the UK which we are planning to use and also some cash in the bank (just over the poverty guideline)

Obviously its hard for us to find jobs in the US as we are currently living in the UK. We have relatives in the US but they are now retired, they will become sponsers if they can but we are not sure how it will work if they do not have a current income (they are home owners though)

If anyone has any experience with filling an affidavit from the UK with no job or house in the US any information or links would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Tony

Do your relatives have enough assets to match the 5 * 125% poverty level figure?

We have relatives in the US but they are now retired, they will become sponsers if they can but we are not sure how it will work if they do not have a current income (they are home owners though)

Hi all,

I am currently filling my K visa, my wife is a USA citizen who has been living in the UK since she was 13 (we are 24 now). I have had the interview in london and passed, the only thing missing from my application was part of the affidavit of support. As my wife has been living in the UK for the last 11 years she has not filled and tax returns in the US, she has never even had a bank account in the US let alone a job.
US citizens need to file taxes based on worldwide income, even if they live outside the US. There are foreign income exclusions and credits and treaties that will make it likely that she doesn't have to actually *pay* any US taxes unless she has a high income (somewhere above US$90K), but she is still supposed to file unless her income is below the threshold where filing is mandatory (approx $8000). The longer she waits to submit those unfiled returns, the higher the penalty will be if she owes anything.

What we are trying to do is compile our assets so we can get the ball moving. We were both fully employed up until 2 weeks ago. We have a house in our name in the UK which we are planning to use and also some cash in the bank (just over the poverty guideline)
Good. If your assets are 5 times 125% of poverty line, you don't need income for the affidavit of support. Note that for the house, only the positive equity counts towards the affidavit of support, not the whole house price.

Last edited by a moderator: