Affidavit of support and form I-864 A

kitty-oh

Hello,
I´m a german girl married to an american citizen.
I got approved by homeland security and now have to fill out form I-864 and I-864 A. I´m really confused with the Affidavit of support and hope someone can help me:

1. It says send all 3 recent tax years, but on the newest info on the US embassy homepage they say you can also just send the last recent tax year if you and your spouse filed tax together.(we only have the one for 2005)

2. I have more money then my husband.. He would not match up with the income guidelines unless we count our household size of two together.
Can he still be my "sponsor"? Our household together is matching the guidelines fine.

3. and last: Both forms need to be signed infront of a US notary or immigration officer. We can´t both travel to Frankfurt to sign in the embassy, does that mean we need to pay a notar befor I go to my interview in Frankfurt?

I would be so happy if someone can answer at least one of the questions above! Thank you so much for your time!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
W2 forms?

Thank you so much! That´s great and much easier!! I wonder why they sended an old form to me...
W2 forms are not mentioned anywhere in my old I-864 forms..
I also can´t find them in the form download section of the uscis HP.
Where do I get those?
Thanx again and all the best from Berlin!

cdnchris said:
There's a new I-864 form which is easier than the ones you are trying to fill out. They can be found on the website.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

You only need the most recent tax year plus W2 forms, and it's also easier to include the intending immigrant's income. The new form also doesn't have to be signed in front of a US notary.

W2 forms are for tax purposes. They are sent by the IRS and indicate how much someone has made and how much in taxes they've paid. Your spouse should have received one back sometime during tax season, unless he was self-employed last year or unemployed or worked outside of the USA.

If he's self employed I believe there were other things he would have had to fill out during tax time, but I'm not sure what they are. You would have to send these in with the tax return. If he worked outside of the USA, he would have still had to file a tax return in the US. He would send that in, along with an explanation that he worked in another country last year. My wife worked in Canada all last year so we ended up sending in the tax return, a note indicating she was employed in Canada through all of last year, foreign tax credit (another IRS form called Form 1116) and even sent in the Canadian equivilant of a W2 just for good measure.