Advice needed- H1b radiology with uncertain future

perflex

Hi, everyone

First time post in the forum.
I enrolled in radiology IMG pathway since 2007 as a calinical faculty of an ACGME residency program toward board certification on 2011, currently on early 3rd yrs of H1-b and will be renewed later this year. The institute and the chair will sponsor PR application as outstanding professor and researcher route which I will submit the application late 2009 or early 2010. However the boss told me that he cannot guarantee continuing hiring after taking the board on 2011 (my 4th year on H1-b).

Questions:
1. I am planing to find H1-b based fellowship starting 2011 as a saftey once my current employer do not hire me at that time. But will this ruin the PR application?

2. What is the difference to apply 2 different one year fellowship (2011-2, 2012-3) versus 1 two-year fellowship legally?

3. My wife is a housewife with musician background taking care of the kids, on H4. I was told by a friend that maybe she (Taiwanese can skeak Mandarin) will have a better chance to find a employment based PR than me?! is it true?

Thanks in advace,
Perflex

> 1. I am planing to find H1-b based fellowship starting 2011 as a saftey
> once my current employer do not hire me at that time. But will this
> ruin the PR application?

It doesn't ruin your PR in and by itself, what would ruin it is if your sponsoring employer stops sponsoring you the moment you are not working for them anymore.

> 2. What is the difference to apply 2 different one year fellowship (2011-2, 2012-3)
> versus 1 two-year fellowship legally?

None really. If you apply to different fellowship during the same application cycle, you may get questions about it 'so you can't make up your mind, ha ?'

> 3. My wife is a housewife with musician background taking care of the kids, on
> H4. I was told by a friend that maybe she (Taiwanese can skeak Mandarin)
> will have a better chance to find a employment based PR than me?! is it true?

Not sure. You mean as interpreter/linguist maybe ?

If I understand it correctly, you will be board certified by 2011. What you need to find in 2010 is a hospital or practice that is willing to sponsor you for a green-card with labor certification in exchange for your willingness to practice there for 2 years or so. Most of these places will be quite rural and very different from the academic environment you are in at this point, so your situation won't be much different from us poor saps who had to do a J1 waiver ;)