• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Administrative Processing gone wild

Jan_F

My dear friends

I wished I was never on this forum, but I am because of AP(administrative processing)... Well ; my history was quite diabolical! ...so i started a new thread.
smile.png

I had applied for a B1B2 visa in April 2006, i got into AP...and on 21 st December 2006 i received my visa, so i visited the US in 2006 and then again in 2009, the visa was valid till 2011.

On 15 th June 2016 i applied again, but now things are more fishy, as I work for a company that works for ministry of defense Pakistan, the VO told me...

VO: i approve u the visa but do you have your CV?
Jan: no its a tourist visa , thats why i did not bring my CV?
VO: ok send it to me ...sorry you will have to go through AP?
Jan : mam this is like last time, i had to wait 8 months ? This time I have booked a package tour with yellow stone park ...i will loose my deposit?

VO: shrugs her shoulders...

My question here is
1. that do they have any records of people who have cleared AP before, or they start a fresh.
2. Iread the AP explained and they send your name to different departments, CIA, FBI, dept. Of commerce! And the dept of proliferation..now if my organization is in their list of polifiriation....will I Get a visa ?

If i am not a thieve? Or never have been? How can they put me in a catagory where they think i will do theft? This is just absurd...

Please let me know your opinions.....

PS i have already missed my vacation...

My dear friends

I wished I was never on this forum, but I am because of AP(administrative processing)... Well ; my history was quite diabolical! ...so i started a new thread.
smile.png

I had applied for a B1B2 visa in April 2006, i got into AP...and on 21 st December 2006 i received my visa, so i visited the US in 2006 and then again in 2009, the visa was valid till 2011.

On 15 th June 2016 i applied again, but now things are more fishy, as I work for a company that works for ministry of defense Pakistan, the VO told me...

VO: i approve u the visa but do you have your CV?
Jan: no its a tourist visa , thats why i did not bring my CV?
VO: ok send it to me ...sorry you will have to go through AP?
Jan : mam this is like last time, i had to wait 8 months ? This time I have booked a package tour with yellow stone park ...i will loose my deposit?

VO: shrugs her shoulders...

My question here is
1. that do they have any records of people who have cleared AP before, or they start a fresh.
2. Iread the AP explained and they send your name to different departments, CIA, FBI, dept. Of commerce! And the dept of proliferation..now if my organization is in their list of polifiriation....will I Get a visa ?

If i am not a thieve? Or never have been? How can they put me in a catagory where they think i will do theft? This is just absurd...

Please let me know your opinions.....

PS i have already missed my vacation...
You indirectly work with the Ministry of Defense in Pakistan, of course the security clearance process needs to look in detail into your background, work history etc. Some publicly available information on this topic you will find in this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Advisory_Opinion
Pakistan is inter alia specifically mentioned in the article for known long pending case times. There is absolutely nothing "gone wild" in this process, but they will go to great length to establish your personal and work related credentials.

Last edited:
Not to be unhelpful, but this is a diversity (immigrant) visa forum, I suggest you look through the boards to find a forum more able to answer your questions about a tourist visa.

I do know from my old days of applying for tourist visas that they tell you not to book anything until you have your visa, so unfortunately I don't think losing a tour deposit will sway them.

Well susie..whether I am on the wrong forum, or page,...you should concentrate on what am I talking about? If i am saying something wrong then your comment is justified ...otherwise just chill :)

Dear EURO2014. I agree i am working for ministry of defense pakistan, but does that mean i am a terrorist? Or a person who would embazzel money or steel technology? Lets get some facts straight.

1. Most of the terrorist attacks in the USA have been done by muslims who have stayed in the US for extended periods of time...(they were initially radicalised, than they immigrated, and then felt more pissed off by the sorts of people who support trump) i do not want to go into politics...so :)

2. People who visit the US for a vacation are mostly citizens of countries who have lived their lives in jeopardy, persecution, and hatred, and want a small period of their time to be spent in a Free Country Like the USA, where you can live your life without being questioned....
But sadly these vacationers just like me face a tuff time...:(

Well susie..whether I am on the wrong forum, or page,...you should concentrate on what am I talking about? If i am saying something wrong then your comment is justified ...otherwise just chill :)

Dear EURO2014. I agree i am working for ministry of defense pakistan, but does that mean i am a terrorist? Or a person who would embazzel money or steel technology? Lets get some facts straight.

1. Most of the terrorist attacks in the USA have been done by muslims who have stayed in the US for extended periods of time...(they were initially radicalised, than they immigrated, and then felt more pissed off by the sorts of people who support trump) i do not want to go into politics...so :)

2. People who visit the US for a vacation are mostly citizens of countries who have lived their lives in jeopardy, persecution, and hatred, and want a small period of their time to be spent in a Free Country Like the USA, where you can live your life without being questioned....
Well, of course there are many security concerns as described in the link above, one is checked through the Mantis database, i.e. illegal transfer of sensitive or dual-use technology, including proliferation of nuclear weapon technology, which certainly is a serious concern from Pakistan. You work for a company that works for the Ministry of Defense in Pakistan after all. Hopefully you did not travel to Iran or North Korea in recent times - just joking :) Of course nobody is accusing you personally of anything, the process is focused on providing a Security Advisory Opinion, the recommendations of which the US Consulate will comply with.

Last edited:
Dear Euro2014'
I agree their are many concerns, i know the mantis, donkey, condor...etc....yes Pakistan has its problems..but the person who has come for an interview for a visit visa does not represent " the whole stereotypical view of pakistan" ...it becomes personal when the VO says "I have approved you a visa Mr. Faisal Jan " but you have to go through " administrative processing" ....and then the summers that you were looking forward to have a vaccation in...changes to winters....for no fault of your own?

Sadly their are many people in my department let alone ministry of defence pakistan who have received visas in 7 days , and their motivation are very different to mine, to say the least....so please Re-check your vetting processes...:)
Love and peace to all.:)

Dear Euro2014'
I agree their are many concerns, i know the mantis, donkey, condor...etc....yes Pakistan has its problems..but the person who has come for an interview for a visit visa does not represent " the whole stereotypical view of pakistan" ...it becomes personal when the VO says "I have approved you a visa Mr. Faisal Jan " but you have to go through " administrative processing" ....and then the summers that you were looking forward to have a vaccation in...changes to winters....for no fault of your own?

Sadly their are many people in my department let alone ministry of defence pakistan who have received visas in 7 days , and their motivation are very different to mine, to say the least....so please Re-check your vetting processes...:)
Love and peace to all.:)

Most commonly, AP security clearance requirements are automatically triggered based on nationality, country of citizenship, countries you have visited in the past, and your field of study or expertise. Foreign nationals from the following countries are notably affected by the security clearance process: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Cuba, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. Other countries and criteria may be added to the above list without notice. The U.S. State Department has not officially confirmed the above list or criteria. The U.S. Transportation Security Agency has also added ten "countries of interest" (Afghanistan, Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Yemen) and three countries listed as "state sponsors of terrorism" (Iran, Syria, and Sudan) to a requirement for additional security checks.

Again, we all certainly hope and wish you well in respect to your NIV process. Nevertheless, current visa screening processes are currently being harshly criticized here in the US for being too lax, don't therefore expect vetting processes to change in the other direction any time soon. Best of luck!

Last edited:

:(

Dear Jan,
Forum etiquette is to post in the appropriate forum for your question. You have found one person here willing to talk to you nevertheless, but if you had posted in the correct forum you may have had more responses from other people.

I'm perfectly chilled, I'm not the one on AP posting in the incorrect forum to get the best advice....but best of luck to you anyway.

Wow, with such a lovely attitude it's amazing that more people aren't rushing to give you helpful opinions....

Dear Sussie. I am sorry i did not mean it that way....i have made a mistake, the moderator can fix the problem and shift it to the right forum :)

Explanations you received are applicable to IV, NIV, incl. DV. Hence it includes useful information for other DV readers in this forum as well. Good luck with your NIV process, like for DV folks it is adviseable to book flights only when you hold the actual visa in hand.

Dear Euro2014, ( I would like a more personalised name as my is Faisal Jan) but euro2014 will do..:)

Thanks for siding with me , but "we" the people of the subcontinient (india. And pakistan) are used to bullying...if we were not ??? UK /british empire would have not goverened our land for 100 years...so probably susie is right ....:) lol...:):):)

Secondly I have already lost, 668 US dollrs , because i booked a yellowstone package tour , for late august, it did not materialize, and nor did i get my deposit back,lost money....but it was my bad......
Although i kept "yellow stone Park" updated second by second about my specific circumstances but ....they still did not refund me my money.

Thirdly i am going to get married in december, so that last bachelor trip ? Is out of question..?

:sad:

PS: please MODERATOR i can not upload any picture, whether it is for avatar or a file? Gives me the answer" server error" Why?

Last edited:
Jan, it's not that I'm not 'taking your side' or bullying you. I just think you'd get more useful information in a forum that, for example, has lots of Pakistanis where you'd be likely to find others in your situation who could probably give you better and more specific advice. As Pakistan is not eligible for the DV lottery, we don't have many here, just the very rare spouse of a winner.

If you however can't understand that I'm trying to help you find somewhere with better info and think you're being 'bullied', well I can't do anything about that. Good luck.

coming back to the topic...

Euro2014 picks some really good points ..countries a person has visited in the past , nationality, field of study... but all these aspects change from individual to individual, I am willing to put my case on the line and my specific circumstances, so that we can have a road map as a specific person has to go through the following hoops to get his AP cleared.... It would be speculations but worth a try.

Name : Jan
Country/City: Peshawar Pakistan.
Education : Bachelors of Engineering (electronics) from Pakistan
and then MSc Microelectronics from UK
work history: worked for a semiconductor company Micron in UK for 4 years in UK.
countries visited : UK, USA, China, Switzerland, UAE, Malaysia, spain, Belgium, singapore, canada, france, sweden.
Current work : working for research and development company as an Integrated circuit designer for ministry of defense Pakistan...

Now where do we think MY AP would be stuck? :)

Yet again
Your list above would be so much more useful if you could compare it to a bunch of similar people in a similar circumstances. On its own it could be anything ...but you insist on posting in isolation.

Over and out.

Dear susie I would not know how to correct this problem, initially the thread started here so I am posting here :(

coming back to the topic...

Euro2014 picks some really good points ..countries a person has visited in the past , nationality, field of study... but all these aspects change from individual to individual, I am willing to put my case on the line and my specific circumstances, so that we can have a road map as a specific person has to go through the following hoops to get his AP cleared.... It would be speculations but worth a try.

Name : Jan
Country/City: Peshawar Pakistan.
Education : Bachelors of Engineering (electronics) from Pakistan
and then MSc Microelectronics from UK
work history: worked for a semiconductor company Micron in UK for 4 years in UK.
countries visited : UK, USA, China, Switzerland, UAE, Malaysia, spain, Belgium, singapore, canada, france, sweden.
Current work : working for research and development company as an Integrated circuit designer for ministry of defense Pakistan...

Now where do we think MY AP would be stuck? :)
As we mentioned earlier, the AP security clearance was certainly triggered by your specific technical background and area of work & expertise. Look, you received NIV's to the UK, the US, Schengen and others and, as far as I understand, never faced a visa refusal. This time will not be any different, it just will take additional time to complete the security clearance process. Going forward, best to make sure that NIV's are valid and/or start renewal process as early as feasible, considering lead-times.
By the way, you would certainly benefit little from conversing with Pakistani butchers, merchants or other on this matter, as they are in a completely different situation as relates to security clearance requirements and processes. If at all, you would need to find a forum together with high tech workers from emerging countries, working in sensitive areas for the defense industry... Best of luck!