• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS/ Advance Parole

borufkaberry

Registered Users (C)
hey everyone,
My name is Sarah and I am a DV 2007 Lottery winner. Lucky, I know, but I feel really overwhelmed by this big decision.
I came to America as an F1-Student, and have lived through Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. When I returned after evacuating to a nearby town, I got the letter from the Consulate saying I had won. I saw this as a sign to stay, even though I had originally intended to leave after I graduate in August this year.

So here I am. I applied for OPT- this will keep me in status for another year after graduating. But I am still unsure about all the consequences that applying for the Adjustment of Status will have (can't do Consular Processing because I am in the country and on a non-immigrant visa).

So here are my questions:
1.) I know that the cut-off date for the government processing the DV wins is September 30th of the following year. Does that mean that if I apply for AOS that if I get a Green Card, I will get it by September 30th 2008 or not at all? Or can they take longer? What is the average time for an AOS to go through?

2.) Do any of you know if you have to have a family emergency to get Advance Parole approved? Because I am only 23 and I can't imagine not being able to not see my parents for 2 years or however long it will take them to process my Green Card application? So is it hard to get Advance Parole?

Thank you guys, please respond. I am also willing to help anyone out who has questions- I've read up on a lot of DV stuff, so feel free to contact me with questions that you may have.

borufkaberry said:
1.) I know that the cut-off date for the government processing the DV wins is September 30th of the following year. Does that mean that if I apply for AOS that if I get a Green Card, I will get it by September 30th 2008 or not at all? Or can they take longer? What is the average time for an AOS to go through?
The processing for DV2007 finishes on September 30, 2007. AOS can take from 2-3 months to a year. If it is not completed by September 30, 2007, then a winner does not get a green card.
2.) Do any of you know if you have to have a family emergency to get Advance Parole approved? Because I am only 23 and I can't imagine not being able to not see my parents for 2 years or however long it will take them to process my Green Card application? So is it hard to get Advance Parole?
I think you can apply for AP with I-485 (green card application) if you want to.

Congratulations for winning!

If you choose to do AOS from the moment you send your package in (I-485 etc.) you won't be able to travel abroad without an Advance Parole document. If you do travel abroad without it they will consider your application for Adjustment of Status as abandoned.

When I applied for AOS I didn't apply for AP thinking that the process would only take a few months (my number was current in October). I'm still waiting and regretted not having applied. They kept telling us the process was going to be completed soon...but...not so.

Apply for Advance Parole when you apply for AOS. It's an extra $180 or so, and you may never need to use it. But believe me DO IT if you feel you may want to travel. Being stuck here is no fun.

Good luck

Barbara

hi
I was in the same situation like you, and I didn't apply for AP. I haven't seen my familly in over 3 years. Your DV number is very important, if you have a low number I would say that you won't get to use it. Sometimes AOS cases can have a strange turn. I think that 90% of AOS are done within 3-5 months.
Good luck to you and don't rush as you still have time to decide and apply.