A Question about K3 Visa

happpy

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Can anyone please answer the following question:
Why everybody apply for his/her spouse for a K3 visa, then you have to go through of a few months of delay. then he/she comes here and has to apply for I-485 which takes more time, why can't we start everything at the consulate overseas, and when the spouse comes here, he/she will be stamped the green card at the airport?

It is just confuses me as I know people who have done it the way I explained before, but I don't know what forms do you need to start the process overseas rather than here.
Can anyone please explain the difference and timewise difference between the 2 situations. Thanks a lot

happy

The reason why people file for K3 is so that their spouse can come here to the states faster. When you wait in your country the process is a long time (2years or more). k3 must be filed by a US citizen here in the states. You can get the visa faster this way. I think that 6months is much shorter than 2 years to get visa from abroad. I think the initial process must start in the US.

Direct Consular Filing

The only process I've heard that is quicker than a K Visa is the DCF which is only available at certain embassies. This is supposed to be a 3 month process, however, the USC spouse has to be at the consulate as applicant.