A paranoid question

zyu

Registered Users (C)
I received my green card a few days ago. Five days before the green card was ordered, I called the national customer service center and told the officer that I did not receive the green card after 2 months of I-485 approval since I was a little anxious to get the card. The officer told me that she will send a "non-delivery referral" to VSC. But only a week later the card was sent to me. I later realized that "non-delivery referral" was taken when a notice/document was sent for more than 30 days and it has not been received. I start to be concerned because the officer who reviews the referral may assume that the card is non-deliverable. If so, what will happen? Can the officer cancel the card (like cancelling a credit card) which was sent to me so that it will not go through at the port of entry? I guess I was a little paranoid. But I want to be a little careful.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

Is there a way to test one's green card is OK?
To test a credit card, it is easy. You just go to make a credit card purchase
to see if iot can go thru. But for a green card, you have to get out of
the country. Under what circumstances, one need to have his card scanned
without leaving the USA and coming back?

AmericanWannabe said:
Is there a way to test one's green card is OK?
To test a credit card, it is easy. You just go to make a credit card purchase
to see if iot can go thru. But for a green card, you have to get out of
the country. Under what circumstances, one need to have his card scanned
without leaving the USA and coming back?

Very good question. I also want to test it before I travel outside. I believe the local office can do it. But is it a little weird if we do so???

vitalsigns said:
I think, "non-delivery referral" means that she was going to tell the service that the card was not delivered yet and that you were wondering about that.

I do not think it meant that the card should not be delivered to you. I do not think there's anything to worry about.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I meant the officer who reviews the referral may assume that the card is not received for some reason (lost in the mail, address problem ...) and then cancel the card (that is what happens to a credit card if the credit card company believes you did not receive it)

zyu said:
Very good question. I also want to test it before I travel outside. I believe the local office can do it. But is it a little weird if we do so???

If you are close to Canada/Mexico, you can make a quick trip and
come back

zyu said:
I received my green card a few days ago. Five days before the green card was ordered, I called the national customer service center and told the officer that I did not receive the green card after 2 months of I-485 approval since I was a little anxious to get the card. The officer told me that she will send a "non-delivery referral" to VSC. But only a week later the card was sent to me. I later realized that "non-delivery referral" was taken when a notice/document was sent for more than 30 days and it has not been received. I start to be concerned because the officer who reviews the referral may assume that the card is non-deliverable. If so, what will happen? Can the officer cancel the card (like cancelling a credit card) which was sent to me so that it will not go through at the port of entry? I guess I was a little paranoid. But I want to be a little careful.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.
My understanding is that they'd check if the USPS has returned it. If not, then they'd ask you to file a I-90 for a new card. I don't have direct experience, but years ago my EAD was lost in the mail but it was not returned to them either, so I was asked to file the application again (with copies of all supporting docs and a fee!) and I got the card in a few weeks. So in your case I don't think they'd cancel the card. As long as you don't file I-90 for a new card, they assume you have it. Hope this helps.

I do not believe that they would cancel your old card (probably not until they get I-90). Even if they did cancel, your A# is always valid and would show you on status. So next time, if @ POE they tell you that card was canceled, they could check whether A# is still valid.
So if you have a valid stamping and you live near mexico or canada, make a quick trip, if they say card was canceled, enter using your stamping.

AmericanWannabe said:
If you are close to Canada/Mexico, you can make a quick trip and
come back

Your suggestion is a costly one.

Still we can call service center and ask for any clarifications...they will help you. Don't talk to 1-800 number. They will tell you 2+2 = 4 that's all. Nothing more.

PhillyJulyLC said:
My understanding is that they'd check if the USPS has returned it. If not, then they'd ask you to file a I-90 for a new card. I don't have direct experience, but years ago my EAD was lost in the mail but it was not returned to them either, so I was asked to file the application again (with copies of all supporting docs and a fee!) and I got the card in a few weeks. So in your case I don't think they'd cancel the card. As long as you don't file I-90 for a new card, they assume you have it. Hope this helps.

I agree with you. it would be very messy otherwise