A P P R O V E D - In Atlanta, GA. Today!

if you need you can ask your employer to allow you to work with your gc. He/She might not be able to pay you though

Yeah, they can hold your paycheck until you get the SSN.

Well, I am wondering the same thing about my I-130/I-485 when are they going to be ordered... I got the EAD ordered but no updates on the AOS :p

if you need you can ask your employer to allow you to work with your gc. He/She might not be able to pay you though

here in Georgia right now they won't even give you an interview w/o the SSN. You won't even get past the screeners. Even in a company that I know someone in HR told me I really need to have my SSN before they can do anything. :mad:

here in Georgia right now they won't even give you an interview w/o the SSN. You won't even get past the screeners. Even in a company that I know someone in HR told me I really need to have my SSN before they can do anything. :mad:

Legally, they can not deny you employment if you have proof that you are legally allwed to work. SSN cards take up to 12 weeks to be issued. how can a person live without working for 12 weeks? It is impossible. They might not pay you, because they dont have a way to take the taxes out of your check.

If you are a very skilled worker, a lot of companies will 'hire' you but wont pay you until you get your ssn, because they are afraid to loose you. If you are applying to kmart, or something like that, yes they wont hire you.
My husband is a post-doc researcher and he did not have a ssn at the very beginning of his f1 and a federal agency wanted him really badly. When I filed my AOS and he got his EAD he was able to get his SSN but this agency had him work for them "without pay" until he got his card. Because he got a letter from SSA, saying that he applied for a ssn card but it takes a long time to get it now. SO yes they can hire you but companies will only do it if they can "hold" your check and if they really need you.

My photography company REALLY needs me. There are not many skilled photographers in this area... and they have a boatload of work, maybe that will help.

hi praetorian, i just wanted to ask you about your paper work organisation, did you have your bills, in the original envelope they came in, during the interview? or did you take them out of the envelope, and put them in a file? pls your reply, will be greatly appreciated, meanwhile congrats.

I had bills separated in categories: utilities, services, subscriptions, etc. Inside a multi compartment folder. I had both originals and copies. The copies had holes (two holes) punched on the top, for the IO to add to the alien file.

It is my experience that if someone REALLY truly needs you, they will go thru greath lenghts to keep you as an employee. My own case is an example. I am not even a gc holder yet but all companies I have worked in the US were willing to give EVERITHING I asked for (an assistant, a raise, gc sponsorship, another raise, they pay for my school etc) and I do not consider myself lucky; I know it is not for the goodness of their heart, it is because I am making them money.
Same with my husband, he was not even allowed to work yet and the government was already offering him a very attractive package; if a company sees you are making them money they will find the way to keep you (getting a lease on their name for you to live, giving you a corporate credit card for stuff while you get your ssn etc.)

well they did offer to pay twice as much than the competition and a company car, plus all travel expenses paid for. So I'd say it is a good start.

Have them give the job without your ssn. They can bill everithing as a company expense and give you a corporate credit card, and it is not illegal, you are allowed to work.

Got my stamp yesterday :D i-551... now waiting for USCIS to update their database :p

Hi Praetorian:

Just wanted to congratulate you, although late. It has been a very busy time. Are you dying of the heat yet? Out here we are nearly DYING because we've seen a few mid-80s days!

Best wishes from San Diego.

Hi Praetorian:

Just wanted to congratulate you, although late. It has been a very busy time. Are you dying of the heat yet? Out here we are nearly DYING because we've seen a few mid-80s days!

Best wishes from San Diego.

Thank you! :) I have not died yet... even though we have had over 8 days of temperatures 100+ F :eek: