A# for I-765 but OPT card lost

katie626

Registered Users (C)
hi,

i am currently on h1-b and married to USC in april 2011. i am going to file for AOS soon (i-485, i-130 concurrently). also, in case i want to quit current job and move to another company before i get GC, i would like to apply i-765 (EAD) as well.

in filling the form i-765, i thought i dont have A# but just realized i may have it from my old OPT card. i've got OPT card back in 2005 and got H1B later on. and the problem is i cannot find that old OPT card. what should i do?????? should i ask for a new OPT card which was expired long time ago???

also, should i submit all previous visas and i-797s (h1B approval notice) for i-485? i should have three i-797s total as i moved twice since first h1B but it seems i cant find my old ones.

i have all documents that verify my current employment and status (current i-797, i-94, and passport). will that not be enough?

please help...

I submitted a copy front and back of my H1B 797 and attached I-94 along with the front and back of the F1 I-94
The A number on your H1 797/I94 should be the same as the one from your old I-20s and old I-94 so you can use that

hi mantikos,

thanks for the prompt reply.

but i dont have A# on my h1b 797 or i94.
i looked it up and people say h1b doesnt have A#.
where did you find A# from your h1b/i-94?

The A-Number from your OPT is NOT the same as the A-Number they are asking for. That was a non-immigrant A-number. You currently do NOT have an A-Number unless you applied for an immigrant visa previously. Take it from a former F-1, H-1 who had an OPT A-Number and just got his new A-Number today. :):)

The A-Number from your OPT is NOT the same as the A-Number they are asking for. That was a non-immigrant A-number. You currently do NOT have an A-Number unless you applied for an immigrant visa previously. Take it from a former F-1, H-1 who had an OPT A-Number and just got his new A-Number today. :):)

ananga73 while they might issue a new A#...the forms are asking for your OPT/H1 A number, that is how they tracked my case everyone I called and that is what I filled out on the form

ananga73 while they might issue a new A#...the forms are asking for your OPT/H1 A number, that is how they tracked my case everyone I called and that is what I filled out on the form

Mantikos, ok cool. You will get a new A-Number tho.

i just got my GC approved and i remember that while filling out the i765 i could not find my old OPT card, so i just attached a letter stating i had one but lost it. as long as you can provide basic info you should be fine. i lost mine after it expired a while back but fortunately i still had a copy of the forms i filled whn i applied so i just attached those with the application.

For I-485 applications, TSC officials clarified a question that is raised often by our clients: Should the
Alien Number or A Number on the OPT Employment Authorization Document be used on the
immigration forms? No. The EAD A# (usually begins with number “1”) is a temporary number that
expires with the card. I-485 applicants should not put this number on their forms because this could
possibly cause confusion and delay in adjudication. The only A# that should be included in I-485 and
ancillary applications is the permanent A# (usually begins with number “0” or “2”.

http://www.niwus.com/article20100607.html

hi,

i am currently on h1-b and married to USC in april 2011. i am going to file for AOS soon (i-485, i-130 concurrently). also, in case i want to quit current job and move to another company before i get GC, i would like to apply i-765 (EAD) as well.

in filling the form i-765, i thought i dont have A# but just realized i may have it from my old OPT card. i've got OPT card back in 2005 and got H1B later on. and the problem is i cannot find that old OPT card. what should i do?????? should i ask for a new OPT card which was expired long time ago???

also, should i submit all previous visas and i-797s (h1B approval notice) for i-485? i should have three i-797s total as i moved twice since first h1B but it seems i cant find my old ones.

i have all documents that verify my current employment and status (current i-797, i-94, and passport). will that not be enough?

please help...

Thank you all for the response. This site is really helpful!

I decide not to put OPT A# in i-485 form (I can't find the number anyways).

Does anyone have an answer to the second questions - should i submit all previous visas and i-797s (h1B approval notice) for i-485? i should have three i-797s total but i cannot find the very first one. i dont have my old passport which has the first visa stamping for the first H1B either.

i am learning my lessons here...

Its the most recent one that they want but you can add the previous ones, just make sure you indicate which is the most recent since it seems some of the folks at the USCIS cannot read simple dates!

Thank you all for the response. This site is really helpful!

I decide not to put OPT A# in i-485 form (I can't find the number anyways).

Does anyone have an answer to the second questions - should i submit all previous visas and i-797s (h1B approval notice) for i-485? i should have three i-797s total but i cannot find the very first one. i dont have my old passport which has the first visa stamping for the first H1B either.

i am learning my lessons here...

Only submit a copy of the latest I-94/I-797, and a copy of the visa you used for your last entry to the US. They don't need the older ones and those could distract or confuse them.