A Bit Puzzled....

denver3883

Registered Users (C)
Hey there, i am on F-1. planning on graduating either spring or summer of '08. My I-20 form says that i am expected to graduate no later than 12/20/2007; however, my F-1 says that i am in good standing as long as i am in school. i know it's probably not a big deal to extend it for another semester or two...my main question is as follows:

since i am planning on trying to apply for GC eventually, what's the best plan of actions for me now. i haven't done OPT yet...and i do have an employer who is willing to help me with my work visa. i am also partially aware of some sort of quota or deadline by which work visa application have to be filed (beginning of spring?)...do i need to apply for OPT and then transition to work visa....or can i do it direct? the thing to keep in mind is that my graduation date is either spring or summer of '08....

well, let's start this discussion, please...and then we will see if we need a more specific direction...

thanks, a lot

the school is right, you will be in status as long as you extend your I-20.

The H1 B visas quota for FY08 was over within a couple of days of application period. Lots of people found themselves without visas. APril 1 is when you can apply for the next fiscal year (which starts in October).

If I were you, I'd finish the degree and get OPT. If you don't get a work visa, you can get into another F-1 program and maintain your F-1 status after OPT.

so, to reiterate what you said...this coming April (April, 1st 2008) is when they start receiving applications...and within couple weeks the quota is usually filled in...am i following you right? so if i am planning on graduating either spring or summer of '08...can i still apply by April 1st even though i won't have my diploma yet. In this case i will be able to re-apply on April 1st of 2009 if i don't get it (assuming that i will be on OPT right after i graduate)?

Thanks

the quota was filled on the same day. Hence - the H1b lottery this year. It will probably be the same next year.

can i still apply by April 1st even though i won't have my diploma yet.
I don't think so, but do ask in H1 forum.

In this case i will be able to re-apply on April 1st of 2009 if i don't get it (assuming that i will be on OPT right after i graduate)?
yes, but what status will you be in between OPT and October 1?

was just wondering ...with all the hype around the immigration issue, is it going to be hard to get a work visa and then become a resident?