5 Years Minus 90 Days

sampai

Registered Users (C)
On my Green Card, it says I've been a Permanent Resident since 1/23/02. So I will be applying for citizenship in a few weeks.

According to my calculations, 1/23/02 plus 5 years minus 90 days is 10/25/06. To be safe, I will send in my application on 10/27/06.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this calculation?

I would leave at least 1 week after 5 years minus 90 days just to be safe. You never know how days are calculated by USCIS. So, better be safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents!

I don't see anything wronf with your calculations. I applied exactly 90 days before my five years and there was no problem. I am done with everything and I have my passport. But if you want your piece of mind, you should take MasterUSA's advice.

Newly

3 monhts residency requirement

I have a related question which hopefully someone can answer

My 5 years post gc complete on 10th Feb 2007, so by virtue of 90 days prior rule, I can file for citizenship approximately 10th Nov.

If i goto India for 3 weeks in mid oct on vacation. does that invalidate the 3 months residency requirement ? I've been living in the same state for all my time post GC.

hope someone has an answer to this

No, you are allowed going on vacation. :)

If you were to change "residences" (i.e., where you live) then you need to look at the residency rules.

Remember, it's 90 days, not 3 months. December and January both have 31 days.

vw78 said:

My 5 years post gc complete on 10th Feb 2007, so by virtue of 90 days prior rule, I can file for citizenship approximately 10th Nov.

If i goto India for 3 weeks in mid oct on vacation. does that invalidate the 3 months residency requirement ? I've been living in the same state for all my time post GC.

You should be good to file around 10th Nov. even though you visit India for only 3 weeks. As long as your visits are within 180 days for each trip outside USA there is no impact on your constinous residency status.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

what is the advantage of the minus 90?

Hi folks,

Do you know the net time saved vis-a-vis the citizenship process by applying 90days ahead of the 5-year milestone? I've read that it takes, on average, 6 months for the USCIS to turn-around a citizenship app. So, I'm assuming that by applying 90-days in advance, one should expect to become a citizen well before the 5yr-6months mark. Will it be exactly 5yr-3months?

I've also read that although one can send in the paperwork 90 days early, the USCIS will not get to work on it until the 5 year milestone has actually been reached. I therefore assume that the only advantage of sending in the paperwork early is that for all the people who share the 5-year milestone date with you, those who DO NOT apply 90 days in advance will have their apps put behind yours in the inspection queue (consider postal delivery times as a constant!)

Does this make sense? :eek:

-Akshay

vw78 said:

you will be eligible to file on the 12'th of Nov 2006. good luck