485 RFE - Birth certificate

DesiGC0123

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

When I filed my 485 in 2003, I submitted Affadavit from my parents in lieu of birth certicate. Now I received a RFE from USCIS requesting non availability of birth certificate from home municipality in India.

Did anyone got a RFE like this? What is your response for this RFE.

Thanks in advance

Yes, many got this RFE. You need to get non-availability certificate from the local authority where you were born. But in many cases, the local authority refused issue non-availability certificate. In that case, ask to register your birth record and issue a new birth certificate. Once you get non-availability certificate OR birth certificate, submit that with some secondary record - like school leaving certificate, hospital record, census record. Basically you need submit either of these two sets:

1. Non-availability certificate
2. Secondary proof (school certificate or hospotal record)

OR

1. New birth certificate
2. Secondary proof (school certificate or hospotal record)

Thanks

pralay,
Thanks for your response. I will contact my local authorities in India.

Did any one has recent experince in getting non-availability/birth cerficate from India.

Thanks

I did pretty much the same thing as you, filed an affadavit from my parents claiming non availability of BC. But trying to beat INS to the punch, I tried to get a certificate of non-availibility from back home. Unfortunately I realized that it is just as tough to get the damn non-availibility certificate as it is to get a new Birth certificate made. So I went ahead and got a new birth certificate made and submitted that before any RFE was issued. It apparently worked, since INS approved my 485 without any RFE.