485/green card -> passport

kmohamm

Registered Users (C)
hello all,
I need your inputs on these issues :
I have question regarding green card. I have filed my 485 ON FEB,4,2002 and is not been approved yet. My company is planning to send me to work overseas , my questions are :
1- how does that affects the green card ?
2- is it true if you have a green card and working outside of use for a us company that is doing business outside of us that you can get the passport for one year once you have the green card ?

wac-02-105_****
rd 2/4/2002
1st fp
no 2nd fp
no rfe
3 ead/3ap

1- It depends on your status now. If you are on EAD, you cannot stay outside US beyond you AP validity period.
2- I think all of us would go out of US for a year and get passports if this was true :). In reality, you may lose your green card if you stay out for more than 6 months in one strech without prior permission from USCIS, at least that's what I know.
Consult your attorney before accepting overseas position.
-NS

kmohamm said:
2- is it true if you have a green card and working outside of use for a us company that is doing business outside of us that you can get the passport for one year once you have the green card ?

It's not true. You don't get a US passport. But once you get GC, you can file for Entry Permission showing reason that your company is relocating you outside USA for certain time period of time. Normally this Entry Permit is valid for two years. In this two years, every year you have to stay atleast 1 month in USA. Your company must relocate you back to USA within 2 years. Otherwise you loose your GC.