30 day Auto revalidation law and Successful Landing

surf_smarter

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife and I just landed last week. We flew to Buffalo and then drove though Rainbow bridge. I had read on this site that driving maybe better than flying all the way into Canada, Personally I don't think it matters and flying all the way is more convinient.

Anyway we are from Pak and had no problem leaving and coming back using the 30 day auto revalidation law. No one even asked us if we had the visa stamped or not. I did confirm with the officer on the way out that we can return without applying for a visa as long as our stay is less than 30 days in Canada. The whole process was easy. I had to go through the special registration which took 15-20 minutes on our way back into buffalo. I had a prior arrest, which the officer asked me about and said it was not a big deal.

Canadian side was too easy and the people there are very cordial.

Hope this helps

To Surf Smarter
Can you please tell us about your special registration, what did they ask you? What kind of documents you had to show the U. S immigration officer? Did they stamp your passport after the registration?
How about when you left the U.S to Canada, did you do exit special registration?

Thanks a lot.

I had to go through the special registration which took 15-20 minutes on our way back into buffalo.

Chicago

On the way out from US. It took 5 minutes. The officer took me inside the office and stamped my passport with a small exit stamp.

On the way back they take your passport and i-797 at the bridge and they send it to the office using a tube (similar as at the banks) Atleast at the rainbow bridge. Upstaris the officer didn't ask my wife anything. And again took my inside the office.

Questions were similar as the first time we did registration. Purpose of visit, He asked about my work, how long been working there, asked to show credit cards, what status I have right now. He did ask me why I had applied for canadian immigration when my green card is in process. I just answered that the green card is taking too long. He also asked me why I didn't fly straight to toronto rather than flying to buffalu, renting a car and driving. I told him that my wife and i wanted to see niagra falls and we are on vacation. However next time I will fly direct into Canada, Personally I don't think it make any difference in teh process wether you drive or fly.

Make sure to take passport, old and new i-94, i797 is most important that shows that you are in status. Thats all he asked me for but take recent pay stubs, marriage certificate etc. They also ask you for your car license number and if it is rental or not.

Don't worry it is a bit stressful but you will get threw it with no problem.