• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2017OC winner. Qu's on pre greencard issuing complexities.

danfromoz

Hello, I will try and be brief but concise as I have read many similar posts on forums such as this over the last years.

Here is my situation.
From Australia and winner of DV2017. All cases are current but have not yet completed and had DS260 locked.

Planned to marry girlfriend of 4 years that I have known since high school within the next year or two. Of course we are happy to push forward albeit not ideal we can go and get a marriage certificate from the court (no ceremony-no reception) from what I understand this is ok and should suffice as long as proof of relationship is given. I can them submit my DS260 with her as a spouse.
Easy...

Another option would be to enact on greencard interview as an individual, but travel over together to activate my greencard, through networks and contacts be put in touch with someone who can offer her a sponsorship visa to work in the USA as an Australian (she has relevant university degrees to meet criteria and is in the wine industry which is very common for sponsoring foreign workers) and move on with our lives get married in the next year and if need be apply for visa extensions whilst applying for the relevant spousal sponsorship visa so that I can sponsor her to greencard status as my wife.
I dont see this as a problem from what I can understand looking through the various visa's and information?

One more concern...

Since winning the lottery late last year (2nd draw) life has gone on, we have had the opportunity to purchase a family members house and am getting close to that becoming a reality, also as nothing is certain and there is every chance that we could immigrate back to Australia after some time for family reasons/ financial reasons / lifestyle reasons etc it would be nice to have a investment to come back to.. as I am sure many people have done and either revoke their greencard or obtain re - entry permits etc.
So we are quite interested in purchasing property in Australia as a investment and also a place to live until we know for certain the outcome of the greencard after the interview and activation.

Saying that is the following a reasonable/doable scenario?
activate greencards before 6month period return to Australia for up to one year grace period if need be..
If not quite ready to immigrate fully to USA we can return to the USA and file for a re - entry permit giving us up to 2 years back in Australia to tie up work contracts/ house renovations etc etc.

Question to following point Can we can still travel to and from USA as tourist on the ESTA visa waiver program?

I hope these are not silly questions, I realize the point of greencard issuing is to immigrate fully and not look back to your old country, but life is full of surprises and changes and I would like to be as informed as possible before committing to the interview. Of course if I did not go ahead with the interview this year we would both be applying for the greencard individually - until married and hopefully a little more setup financially and ready to make the move if (fingers crossed) I/we were to win again..

thanks in advance.. looking forward to getting some insight.

You are about to procrastinate yourself out of options. If you don't submit your DS260 in the next week or two, you are running a risk that you won't get scheduled for an interview at all before the year closes.

So - make up your mind whether you want this opportunity or not.

As for other questions - numbered lists of short succinct questions make it easier to answer - try boiling your essay down to the most relevant questions and number them.

Appreciate the help Britsimon, we will have forms submitted asap..
100% ok to get 2nl scheduled if I submit paperwork later this week?
I am away until late week and do not have access to some documents I need.

Appreciate the help Britsimon, we will have forms submitted asap..
100% ok to get 2nl scheduled if I submit paperwork later this week?
I am away until late week and do not have access to some documents I need.

Well it took 4 days to answer this and now you are going to wait some more - so no. Not 100% sure.