2013 January N-400 Tracker

Congratulations! I am in CA as well. Next Tuesday 9:15 AM is my appointment for oath ceremony. May traffic will be smooth so I can be there on time since it is rush hour from place I live to ceremony place.

I am officially USC today!! There were new citizens from 85 countries, with most from Mexico, followed by India, Phillipines, Vietnam & China. Almost 500 new citizens :)

Applied for passports after the oath ceremony.

Good luck everyone!!

To all who have done interviews:

What items are not permitted to bring to the CIS field office for interview? Cell phone, iPad are allowed to bring in if turned off for security check? I'll have interview next month.

Thanks.

You can carry your cell Phone..but you need to keep that in Silent Mode.

To all who have done interviews:

What items are not permitted to bring to the CIS field office for interview? Cell phone, iPad are allowed to bring in if turned off for security check? I'll have interview next month.

Thanks.

For those who have applied for passports, what's your experience with the turnaround time for the regular service? My oath is on 5/1 and I will apply for passport that day. I have a wedding to fly to on 6/14 so I am debating if I should pay for the expedited service...Regular is supposed to be 4-6 wks according to the website, and expedite 2-4 wks. 6 wks puts me on 6/12, which is awfully close to 6/14 :)

For those who have applied for passports, what's your experience with the turnaround time for the regular service? My oath is on 5/1 and I will apply for passport that day. I have a wedding to fly to on 6/14 so I am debating if I should pay for the expedited service...Regular is supposed to be 4-6 wks according to the website, and expedite 2-4 wks. 6 wks puts me on 6/12, which is awfully close to 6/14 :)

1. My cousin got his back in 3 weeks without expedite. I think you will be taking chances not expediting it at this time of the year especially since the summer is around the corner and lots of people are renewing or applying for passports now. If you expedite it, you should get it latest 3 weeks.

2. Congrats - Can you tell us your experience at the interview and possible questions asked for those of going in few weeks and which location ?

3. I do not know that you can be handed your oath letter the same date after the interview- Did you extraordinarily well with good impression at the interview to warrant this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
other than civic/history and N400, no questions asked personally and no documents requests except Passport/GC/GL. I have written my experience above.

other than civic/history and N400, no questions asked personally and no documents requests except Passport/GC/GL. I have written my experience above.

By Passport you mean your Passport from your native country? What do they need it for?

Hi flyingwiz and chillies,

would you know when your case status changed (no more 'testing and interviewing') please? How many days before you received the oath letter in the mail?

Thanks
five

Five, I haven't received oath letter yet. My wife case is updated and she is in Oath scheduling queue. IO told me that she will make sure that both of ours oaths fall on the same day. Just waiting for the Update on the Oath.

Just want to say Thanks for the forum. All informations, all response and all inputs you gave me in the journey to apply my US Citizenship. I got my citizenship smoothly on 04/23/2013.

Just want to say something here. Submit things the forum suggested you to do. That will help you road to the citizenship smooth and less worries.

Hope all of you Good Luck!

1/25/13: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ
1/26/13: N-400 delivered
1/31/13: Check cashed
02/21/13: FP Done
04/02/13: Interview Done
04/11/13: Oath Letter received
04/23/13: Oath Ceremony
04/24/13: Applied for Passport
XX/XX/13: Received Passport

1. Thank you!

2. I posted a detailed summary of my interview experience earlier in this thread. The interview went smoothly. It took no longer than 15 min - they swore me in, asked the 6 civics questions, then went over all the questions in the application. One thing that I did not expect was - they asked to see my SS card. I did have it on me by chance but the requirements paperwork did not state that I should bring it to the interview. The wait before the interview was looooong. I saw people who came in after me go in and be done way before me. There didn't seem to be a pattern - just appeared very random, some people were there for 30 min max, others, like me, for hours. All in all, I was there for 3 hrs. Make sure you have a healthy breakfast/lunch before your appointment because there are no food/drinks allowed in the building. Once you are in the waiting room, there is no way to leave per se - they call in people by name and don't keep the scheduled hour so if you left for a couple of min, say to use the bathroom, you might miss when they call you. I don't remember the exact civics questions but I used the CD that came with the questions booklet they gave me during finger printing to study. Basically, I had the CD in my car and listened to it on the way to work and back every day. By the end, I knew the whole thing by heart. I didn't have to invest any extra time in studying besides my daily 30 min commute.

3. The oath letter is a function of if they have an oath ceremony already scheduled when you go in for the interview. Since I was in the waiting room for 3 hrs, I saw that everyone who got approved that day received their oath letter on the spot (they had to wait extra 30-40 min to actually get it). We were all scheduled for the same oath date/location too. My friend who had the interview about a month before me and passed the interview with flying colors, was told that he will have to wait to get the oath letter in the mail because they didn't have anything scheduled yet.

hope this helps and good luck!

1. My cousin got his back in 3 weeks without expedite. I think you will be taking chances not expediting it at this time of the year especially since the summer is around the corner and lots of people are renewing or applying for passports now. If you expedite it, you should get it latest 3 weeks.

2. Congrats - Can you tell us your experience at the interview and possible questions asked for those of going in few weeks and which location ?

3. I do not know that you can be handed your oath letter the same date after the interview- Did you extraordinarily well with good impression at the interview to warrant this ?

Five
Interview on 11th
Status changed to Queue on 19th
Status set to Scheduled on 22nd
Received letter on 25th