2013 January N-400 Tracker

I have a quick questions. since myself and spouse interview scheduled at same day and time, we both will be interviewed by the same officer or separate? Does anyone have a prior knowledge or experience?

interview experience

Congrats. Could you share your interview experience?

Sure. My interview was super fast and straight forward. My interview was scheduled at 8:30 on Mar.21st.
St. louis, MO, by the way!
I got there around 8:20 and I got out around 8:40. Yep, the whole interview was only 10 minutes.
The first thing I did when I went in was the oath which saying what I say that day would all be truth. The officer then would sit you down and go through your application real quick. She asked me some general question like: have you committed a crime or have you traveled outside of the U.S, etc. (basically those questions that we already answered on the application). Then she asked me to read couple paragraphs (testing my reading and speaking skills I think). Those paragraphs basically come from the naturalization oath. Then she gave me a sheet of paper with a question on it. Mine was : when is Columbus Day? Then she told me the answer and wanted to write the answer on that sheet of paper (writing skill). After all these, she gave me the civic test. I passed the test with the first correct 6 questions, so she stopped at question 6.
After the civic test, she printed out the result for me (pass!!!)and told me I would receive a oath scheduling letter within a week.

I wouldn't say she was a super nice lady but she was a fair officer as far as doing her job.
I hope my experience helped a bit!
Good luck with everybody!

Congrats. Could you share your interview experience?

no_clue,

here is my interview experience:
1)Bring your SS card! Nowhere in the paperwork does it say it is needed, but the officer asked me for it. I happened to have it bc I keep it with the GC. Don't know if it would have been a big deal if I didn't but I am glad I didn't have to find out. :)
2)I also brought photocopies of my passports (valid and expired) and the officer appeared to be pleasantly surprised. I guess not everyone does that. She took them and added them to the file.
3) Also, be prepared to wait. There was no apparent order in which people were called in. My interview was supposed to be at 10:45. I got there at 10:15 or so. I did not leave there until 1pm. I was pretty much the last person in the waiting room. And while you are there, you can't have food/drinks, so plan accordingly. I saw a number of people who came in after me, got called in, and left in less than 30 min. I guess my file was at the bottom of a pile.
4) The interview itself took exactly 10 min, exactly as described above. They asked me to wait after that so that they can hand me the oath letter in hand (vs. receiving it in the mail). Around noon the personnel started leaving for their lunch breaks, so I was nervous I will have to wait until after they come back but I guess one lady stayed back and she finished my letter. I got the letter at around 12:50. All in all, I spent almost 3 hrs there.
Good luck!

Congratulations,

But isn't it a little long wait for the oath.
I would just love to have oath on the same day. But its just a wish
Coz my district office does not offer same day oath.

MH

I think they try to "bundle" people. The oath dates appear to be spaced out 1.5 months apart or so. At least in Mass, where I am. My friends had their oath on 3/20, but I guess my interview date was too close and they had already filled up that session. Also, all the people who got interviewed the same day as me, were scheduled for 5/1. I was hoping for same date oath but oh well....

O got an inline for interview scheduling on 3/12 and them yellow letter asking me to bring my DL to the interview. I have heard nothing since. Not sure how long it usually takes for Newark, NJ
Here are my details. I live in central Jersey and my field office is Newark

DO Dallas, TX
1/23/13: N-400 mailed to Dallas, TX
1/25/13: N-400 delivered
1/25/13: Priority Date

02/19/13: FP DONE
03/12/13: In line for Interview scheduling
XX/XX/13: Interview Scheduled
XX/XX/13: Interview Done
XX/XX/13: Oath scheduling queue
XX/XX/13: Oath Letter received
XX/XX/13: Oath Ceremony
XX/XX/13: Applied for Passport
XX/XX/13: Received Passport

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview Scheduled:

GC Since April 2008
Application Mailed to Phoenix, Arizona
Local Office San Francisco

1/25/13: N-400 mailed to Phoenix,Arizona
1/26/13: N-400 delivered
1/28/13: Check cashed
02/04/13: FP notice recd
02/26/13: FP complete
03/19/13: Yellow Letter Received
03/25/13: In line for Interviewing scheduling
05/02/13: Interview Scheduled
XX/XX/13: Interview Done
XX/XX/13: Oath scheduling Queue
XX/XX/13: Oath Letter received
XX/XX/13: Oath Ceremony
XX/XX/13: Applied for Passport
XX/XX/13: Received Passport

Update in my timeline.
Interview was smooth. Me and my wife were interviewed by a different DO. We took our son with us as the interview was scheduled @ 8:20 AM and his school did not start till later. We had to get rid of our bottled water. The waiting room did not have a water fountain or anything in that manner. We were out by 9:50.

I have an interview on next Tuesday. When they give civic test, that's oral questions and answers? Or paper test like multiple choice style?

I am self employed. Didn't make much money in last 2 years, on the top of that, my husband lost job for more than 1 years. Anyone can help how to handle such questions?

Update in my timeline.
Interview was smooth. Me and my wife were interviewed by a different DO. We took our son with us as the interview was scheduled @ 8:20 AM and his school did not start till later. We had to get rid of our bottled water. The waiting room did not have a water fountain or anything in that manner. We were out by 9:50.

There is no same day Oath with your interview in your area?

My info:

Citizenship based on Employment based GC

Sent N-400: 1/5/13
Received: 1/9/13
Check Cashed: 1/10/13
FP Done: 2/15/13
Interview Done: 3/12/13
Oath Done: 3/29/13

This was in Raleigh, NC

You are so blessed. It went so smooth and fast.

I had interviewed yesterday and got "your application is recommended for approval". So I still need to wait for final approval.

My info:

Citizenship based on Employment based GC

Sent N-400: 1/5/13
Received: 1/9/13
Check Cashed: 1/10/13
FP Done: 2/15/13
Interview Done: 3/12/13
Oath Done: 3/29/13

This was in Raleigh, NC

You are so blessed. It went so smooth and fast.

I had interviewed yesterday and got "your application is recommended for approval". So I still need to wait for final approval.

Thanks. I got the same letter at the interview as you did. I received my Oath letter in the mail two days after the interview

Passed interview

I passed the interview today and received the oath letter right after. Starting today, Greer office is handing out oath letter the same day as the interview.

MH2006, you will be glad to hear this.

I got there early around 8am. Interview was scheduled at 9am. I was called in at 9:30 am or so. It took less than 10 mins for the interview to be over. I was sworn in first. I was asked to sign on the front side of my pictures, along one of the sides. I was asked to read a question and then write the answer. Followed by 6 civics question, then IO went over every question in the application, then asked me to sign the application. He gave me a letter stating I passed the interview and recommended for approval. He then proceeded to tell me that starting today they are giving out oath letters after the application is verified again by one other person. After 10 mins or so, I received the oath letter. Scheduled for Apr 12th.
Congrats for the ones who completed the journey. Best of luck to the rest going through it.

1/11/13: N-400 USPS Priority to Lewisville TX
1/14/13: N-400 delivered
1/17/13: Check Cashed
1/22/13: NOA
2/19/13: FP appointment mailed
2/22/13: FP mail received (appointment 3/7/13)
2/26/13: FP done (walk in)
2/28/13: In line for Interview scheduling
2/28/13: Interview Scheduled
4/04/13: Interview Done
4/04/13: Oath Letter received
4/12/13: Oath Ceremony
X/XX/13: Applied for Passport
X/XX/13: Received Passport

Hi No-Clue,
Congratulations, it went really smooth for you. Oath in just two week is an amazing improvement for Greer office.

Do you have any special advice for me. Any weird documents they asked? Did they ask for any document?

Thanks,
MH

Thanks. If you encounter the same IO, then you would take oath, signing your photos, reading/writing, civic tests followed by verification of your application and signing your application. The day I went, there was only one IO. He was professional and courteous. When he asked to verify ssn, I offered to show him my ss card, he said no need. He did not ask for any document but gc and passport. He verified the name using my passport. My Oath is next Friday, yours could be the following week, if they schedule every Friday.
Best of luck.

Hi No-Clue,
Congratulations, it went really smooth for you. Oath in just two week is an amazing improvement for Greer office.

Do you have any special advice for me. Any weird documents they asked? Did they ask for any document?

Thanks,
MH

Hi everybody, below are my details:
EB3 GC - 5th anniversary on Apr 8, 2013
Local office - Hartford, CT

01/23: Filed
01/25: Delivered
01/28: RD/PD
01/29: NOA date
01/31: NOA mailed
02/01: FP notice date/mailed
02/04: NOA received
02/04: FP notice received (FP scheduled for 02/25)
02/11: FP done (walk-in)
03/08: In queue for interview scheduling (email)
03/11: Yellow letter date
03/12: Yellow letter mailed
03/15: Yellow letter received (bring DL/disposition of "arrests" - had a minor traffic ticket)
04/05: Interview scheduled (email)
??/??: Interview letter received
??/??: Interview date