2-year home country requirement UK..?

bluelikethat

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

I am applying to do a training/internship program for 6-months in the US. I am hoping to get a job in the US after this program, thereby transferring to an H1-B visa. My concern is whether the 2-year home residency requirement will apply to me.

I am not being funded by any government or other organisation; the training is paid and I will provide the rest of the funding myself. I am from the UK (with a US Bachelor's degree and a UK Master's degree, both in English). The position is editorial with a national publishing house. I have looked at the Exchange Visitor Skills List and can't seem to find any UK section...

Can anyone give me any advice as to whether you think I will be subject to the 2-year home residency after my J-1 visa? I really want to apply for a job and get an H1B visa, but with the cap already reached I can't really wait a whole year for a job and this is an ideal chance for me to get some experience in the States.

Any advice would be very very welcome!

Thanks!
Anna

Hello,

I have a question. You said the training is paid : who's paying the training? This is an important information.

Do not mention that you want to get a H1 visa when you get the J1: J1 is a non-immigrant visa and if you show you intend to stay in the US, you may be denied entry.

In case the 2-year RR applies to you, you'll need a no-objection letter from UK government. In some country, like Canada, everybody gets it. If you are not sure, you can send an email to the UK embassy in the US and ask if they have a policy of giving no-objection letters to all UK citizens.

i think Anna is trying to get around from full cap H1B by use J1 visa.

I have the same case as attorney suggest this way.

The training is paid by the company I will be training with.

And it's not so much that I'm trying to "get around" the cap. I do want to do this training. But I also want to get a job in the States afterwards and I don't want to ruin my chances by having to stay in the UK for two years following my training.

Thanks for your advice...

Hello Anna,

I have some questions for you
1. Does your company apply for DS2019 ? or you do it through an agent ?
2. How long the process until you get DS 2019 ready?

I think you could contact your embassy to get your J1 waiver (release 2 year home residency bar).

Thanks,,,,

You will be subject to the 2-year RR. Contact your embassy to know if they will give you a no-objection letter. You could apply for your J1, start your training, and a week later request a letter from your government. You have to know however that once you get a waiver, you cannot extend your J1. Hope it helps.

Hello Yukon

YukonNew said:
------- You could apply for your J1, start your training, and a week later request a letter from your government. You have to know however that once you get a waiver, you cannot extend your J1. Hope it helps.

Hello Yukon.......can self individual apply for J1?
Thanks !!!!

Hi Yukon...

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me why I will be subject to the two year RR? I can't understand why, since I don't fall under any of the categories... I will not be receiving funding from my government, the US government, or any international organization. I don't appear on the skills list. And there is nothing medical involved. I don't understand....

Roosinaga:

1. Does your company apply for DS2019 ? or you do it through an agent ?

I was going to use the CIEE service to apply for the DS2019, so I'm guessing they act as a sponsor.

2. How long the process until you get DS 2019 ready?

I won't know for a couple of weeks whether I have the position or not. I'm seriously considering not accepting it if the two-year RR applies, because it would be absolutely terrible for me to not be allowed to stay in the US.

I'm quite confused and concerned...

Anna