120 days after the interview

madhuri_dhar

Registered Users (C)
I had my naturalization interview in Dec'06 and at the end of the interview was asked to send additonal documents and was also told by the interviewing officer that my name check is pending...

I sent additional documents soon after that and still waiting for my oath letter. Had an infopass appt last week and was told that i am inquiring on my status too soon and that the officer has 120 days to make a decision.

I just want to know from people who are/have been in a similar situation. Do they usually respond within 120 days? If no, what are the next steps?

Thanks.

Your wait time is not normal. If it is background check pending it could be a long wait too. Did you have issues other than background check that may have cause this delay? Did you get your citizenship through marriage.
I had my naturalization interview in Dec'06 and at the end of the interview was asked to send additonal documents and was also told by the interviewing officer that my name check is pending...

I sent additional documents soon after that and still waiting for my oath letter. Had an infopass appt last week and was told that i am inquiring on my status too soon and that the officer has 120 days to make a decision.

I just want to know from people who are/have been in a similar situation. Do they usually respond within 120 days? If no, what are the next steps?

Thanks.

You can send a letter to your Immigration Office and request him/her to complete the processing on your case. Hopefully, that would generate activity on your case. If you don't hear something soon, contact your Congressman and Senator's office. When their Congressman or Senator's office staff faxes an inquiry on your behalf, USCIS wakes up and responds.

Similar experience

I had a similar experience. I had my interview on August 10, 2006. Although I passed the interview, I was told that security checks were still pending. I subsequently made an InfoPass appointment in mid-October, and was told that 120 days had not yet passed since my interview date. I was also told that security checks had cleared and that I should hear something within the 120-day period. I then went for another InfoPass in late December (after more than 120 days from my interview date). This time, I was told that my file was merely waiting to be "verified" and then scheduled for the oath. I received the oath letter in January and took the oath earlier this month.

I would recommend waiting until 120 days from the date of your interview. I would then schedule another InfoPass appointment. If your security checks have not cleared by then, you should consider bringing a section 1447(b) action. See elsewhere on this forum for a detailed explanation of how to proceed with a section 1447(b) action. I would also write a letter to your interviewing officer as well as a separate letter to the district director for your office.

rbarrage and madhuri_dhar - During the Interview, since you were both told that your FP/Name Check is pending - can you please let us know your Fingerprint Dates.

Thank you.

rbarrage

Thank you very much for posting your experience. I plan to wait for 120 days as well as there is no other option until then. :(

As you suggested, if i don't hear within 120 days, i will then write a letter to the adjudicating officer.

call them

call the uscis and find out the status of your case //i just did and they told me my oath date b4 i receieved my oath letter
good luck

Which USCIS number? The DO number or the service center number? My DO is 'Cherry Hill' which falls under VSC as the service center.

My name check/background check was completed before I got my interview letter in Nov 2006. I know that because i had an inofpass appt. BEFORE i received my Interview letter and i was told that my name check was completed and that i should be receiving my interview letter soon.

So what does it mean when officer told me AFTER my interview that my name check is still pending. Does it mean it wasn't completed to begin with (which means the infopass officer lied to me) ? If that's not the case, then may be the adjudicating officer re-submitted me for another name check (based on the name from my birth certificate).

If I assume the latter to be the case, ie, I was re-submiited for another name check, does it take much longer to clear than the first name check? Anybody with a similar experience?

Regards

what was on your N-652

rbarrage and madhuri_dhar: What were the check boxes checked off on your N-652? Did it say "Congratulations! Your appliction is recommended for approval......." or did it say your case is pending?

I'm just curious because you say you passed but your NC is still pending. I thought since early 2006, USCIS stopped scheduling interviews until all FBI secuirty checks & NC are complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my interview on 01/18/07. I was told by the officer that there is another file in my name at national records center and have to consolidate everything to make a decision.

I called USCIS customer service yesterday, they told me that still the case is under investigation and it may take 4 to 6 months. Did anybody experience this?

Pls help.
Thanks.

I had my interview on 01/18/07. I was told by the officer that there is another file in my name at national records center and have to consolidate everything to make a decision.

I called USCIS customer service yesterday, they told me that still the case is under investigation and it may take 4 to 6 months. Did anybody experience this?

Pls help.
Thanks.

What exactly did the IO tell you about the national records center? I mean is that an FBI thing or a USCIS thing? What were the check boxes checked off on your N-652? Also, I was under the impression that no interviews are scheduled UNTIL all bc's/nc have been completed

What exactly did the IO tell you about the national records center? I mean is that an FBI thing or a USCIS thing? What were the check boxes checked off on your N-652? Also, I was under the impression that no interviews are scheduled UNTIL all bc's/nc have been completed

IO checked the box that the decision cannot be made yet. Everything went fine, at the last moment the officer told me that the computer found another file and it is at national records center. Did not mention anything about FBI. The officer was mentioning may be that is the file when I first entered to the USA. I asked the officer how long it will take, the officer had no answer for that, just replied that I have to wait bit more time.