• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

:D @guestgulkan if only we could! Unfortunately work might have something to say about us just taking off at the drop of a hat haha

@Britsimon @SusieQQQ I guess it's the fact that we were never going to get married I was still hoping for some other option to miraculously pop up where we wouldn't have to actually go through with it, being happily unmarried is something we are quite happy about :p And with so much on our plate at the moment was hoping to delay it as long as possible. And there's the extra cost to get it all done that we hadn't factored in to our current budget but I guess we gotta do we we gotta do to make the dream come true!

The difference between submitting before getting married and after getting married is your wedding date. I believe the form requires the date and place of marriage. Putting a date for a marriage that hasn't taken place would be a lie.
Ah right, I see. I haven't looked at the form yet so am unaware of what info exactly we have to provide on it but that totally makes sense.

:D @guestgulkan if only we could! Unfortunately work might have something to say about us just taking off at the drop of a hat haha

@Britsimon @SusieQQQ I guess it's the fact that we were never going to get married I was still hoping for some other option to miraculously pop up where we wouldn't have to actually go through with it, being happily unmarried is something we are quite happy about :p And with so much on our plate at the moment was hoping to delay it as long as possible. And there's the extra cost to get it all done that we hadn't factored in to our current budget but I guess we gotta do we we gotta do to make the dream come true!
Ah right, I see. I haven't looked at the form yet so am unaware of what info exactly we have to provide on it but that totally makes sense.

If you'll allow me to be forthright and I hope I don't sound too rude but ....I think you guys need to sit down and look properly at what is required and what you need to do when. You seem to be largely flying by the seat of your pants at the moment. Immigration is a serious undertaking and it requires a time and a financial commitment (and obviously this all true of a baby too, with or without immigrating). Even though there is so much time left, honestly, if you keep going the way you have been, you actually might not get everything sorted out in time to get your green cards.

If you'll allow me to be forthright and I hope I don't sound too rude but ....I think you guys need to sit down and look properly at what is required and what you need to do when. You seem to be largely flying by the seat of your pants at the moment. Immigration is a serious undertaking and it requires a time and a financial commitment (and obviously this all true of a baby too, with or without immigrating). Even though there is so much time left, honestly, if you keep going the way you have been, you actually might not get everything sorted out in time to get your green cards.

Honestly, you are coming across as very rude. So far my only query I've asked of you guys is seeing if there is a way around this without having to actually get married - why wouldn't I try to find any other option available - if there was one - before taking a route we hadn't wanted or planned to take? So, yes, I'm sorry that I overlooked this one point and I'm struggling to think about factoring in an unplanned wedding 2 months before I'm about to have our first baby.

But other than this one error I've made we are very aware of the process involved in all of this and costs involved too - which is fine as we have factored them in for later down the track. I know we are going to have to pay application fees, medical fees, possible vaccination fees, travel fees to Sydney to the interview etc.

I do very much appreciate all the feedback I've had from everyone so far on this issue - you have all helped so much - but I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by "if I keep going the way I have been". I've spent pretty much everyday since finding out we had won the lottery researching this whole process and also every possibly option I have for accidentally thinking defacto and married meant the same thing, along with multiple people saying I have a good few months before I need to submit my application so I'm unsure why you feel that I'm so dis-organised and clueless about the whole thing.

@carolineelle, this might help in knowing what is on the DS260. https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf

@SusieQQQ gives some good advice here. Take a moment (or 3-4 hours) and plan out your strategy. We're always here to help you. :)
Thanks @SusieQQQ :)

The strategy is to try to fit a wedding in at some point in the next few months, otherwise there's really no point is going ahead with the application as we currently are.

I definitely appreciate all the help I've received so far, without this forum I can't imagine how most people come to understand this whole process of how exactly the lottery works!

Honestly, you are coming across as very rude ...
I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by "if I keep going the way I have been".

Stuff like this:

.... I was still hoping for some other option to miraculously pop up where we wouldn't have to actually go through with it, .... hoping to delay it as long as possible...

Plus what you said before about delaying everything until after the baby comes along.

Anyway if you think I'm too rude (I thought I was quite restrained actually) I'll leave you to your own devices and the good advice of others here.

Stuff like this:

Plus what you said before about delaying everything until after the baby comes along.

Anyway if you think I'm too rude (I thought I was quite restrained actually) I'll leave you to your own devices and the good advice of others here.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome and appreciate your advice and definitely want everyone to be up front and forthright when giving advice. I just thought it was really rude insinuating that I was being clueless about the process and what's involved in all this. At the end of the day it's all just coming down to bad timing but I'm just very surprised that someone wouldn't understand why I'd want to delay something like this - considering that we have to submit an intent to marry and then wait at least one month before we can book a date to get married, meaning that we'd be looking at getting married pretty much around the time the baby is due - anyone would try to delay or try to find another option, if there was one. I know it's as simple as "just making an appointment" to get it done but if it's something that can wait until the baby has arrived and we aren't so all over the place getting used to our new life with a kid, then I'd rather do that.

I was just asking the question because if I keep on just assuming how things work with this process then we'll end up in a worse position than we already are.

Hey guys, just wanting to ask for those that have made the big move what where the rough estimates of $$$ to set up a home etc in the USA when you arrived (I know that some of the costs would come down to where you end up) but I would like to factor the relocation costs into my budget.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome and appreciate your advice and definitely want everyone to be up front and forthright when giving advice. I just thought it was really rude insinuating that I was being clueless about the process and what's involved in all this. At the end of the day it's all just coming down to bad timing but I'm just very surprised that someone wouldn't understand why I'd want to delay something like this - considering that we have to submit an intent to marry and then wait at least one month before we can book a date to get married, meaning that we'd be looking at getting married pretty much around the time the baby is due - anyone would try to delay or try to find another option, if there was one. I know it's as simple as "just making an appointment" to get it done but if it's something that can wait until the baby has arrived and we aren't so all over the place getting used to our new life with a kid, then I'd rather do that.

I was just asking the question because if I keep on just assuming how things work with this process then we'll end up in a worse position than we already are.

I think we regulars tend to be on the direct side. That's because we know what works and what doesn't work. We also see people who procrastinate themselves out of time. In your situation you have a simple choice - we all know the answer - you are struggling to accept the inevitable answer. Anyway - try and understand that we are all doing this to help - we have no reason to attack you in any way.

Now - I don't think we have discussed this yet - what is your case number range? OC is over selected this year and it makes sense to discuss that.

Edit: - Got it - 2018OC9XX - so you have some time to wait regardless on fast submission. I think I would still advise marriage first and then submit, and probably before baby is born (because you won't know what you are doing for 6 months after baby arrives)

Last edited:
I think we regulars tend to be on the direct side. That's because we know what works and what doesn't work. We also see people who procrastinate themselves out of time. In your situation you have a simple choice - we all know the answer - you are struggling to accept the inevitable answer. Anyway - try and understand that we are all doing this to help - we have no reason to attack you in any way.

Now - I don't think we have discussed this yet - what is your case number range? OC is over selected this year and it makes sense to discuss that.

Edit: - Got it - 2018OC9XX - so you have some time to wait regardless on fast submission. I think I would still advise marriage first and then submit, and probably before baby is born (because you won't know what you are doing for 6 months after baby arrives)

I totally get it - and I know you are all here in your own time to help all of us newbies with our questions and queries. The Intent to Marry form has been printed today ready to be filled out lol It's been a very quick change of mindset after so many years of being sure we'd never get married, that's for sure :oops: :)

Yes, I think we'll aim to have everything done and submitted within the next couple of months.

Hey! Sorry to be so persistent -- gonna try asking this one more time! @Britsimon, I'm tagging you in the hopes that you know something. I'm really sorry if this has been asked many times and that's why I haven't received an answer. I searched & searched but to no avail. I was wondering if it's alright for me to put my US address in my present address on my DS-260 even though I have opted for consular processing in Auckland on the form.
I read that interviews tend to be granted wherever your present address is listed. However, I don't live in Auckland at the moment and haven't for many years, so I thought it'd be technically incorrect for me to list this as my present address. Do you have any tips? Or should I contact KCC to clarify?

Hey! Sorry to be so persistent -- gonna try asking this one more time! @Britsimon, I'm tagging you in the hopes that you know something. I'm really sorry if this has been asked many times and that's why I haven't received an answer. I searched & searched but to no avail. I was wondering if it's alright for me to put my US address in my present address on my DS-260 even though I have opted for consular processing in Auckland on the form.
I read that interviews tend to be granted wherever your present address is listed. However, I don't live in Auckland at the moment and haven't for many years, so I thought it'd be technically incorrect for me to list this as my present address. Do you have any tips? Or should I contact KCC to clarify?

The situation is rare of course. But yes, my understanding is you can list your USA address when filling out the form and select a consulate for processing in your home country. You submit and contact KCC by email to explain and make sure they schedule that way.

Hi all, I read we have to create accounts on USTravelDocs before the interview but it won't let me create an account. Does anyone know if I have to wait until I get my 2NL before I can create an account?

Hey guys, just wanting to ask for those that have made the big move what where the rough estimates of $$$ to set up a home etc in the USA when you arrived (I know that some of the costs would come down to where you end up) but I would like to factor the relocation costs into my budget.

It really will depend where you want to live. NYC? Take alot. Charlotte (where I am)? Not so much.

You will need to factor in car rental (if you're not relying on public transport), paying a few months rent in advance (some landlords will request this given the absence of a credit history), cash to buy basic groceries and utensils, utilities (they may also ask for an in-advance deposit because of the lack of credit history), cable tv, internet, cell phone, and just contingency funds for unexpected expenses.

Hi all, I read we have to create accounts on USTravelDocs before the interview but it won't let me create an account. Does anyone know if I have to wait until I get my 2NL before I can create an account?

I'd wait.

Here's the email Sydney send you for the interview. I include it because it tells you to register with USTravelDocs.

Diversity Visa 2017 scheduled appointment at the U.S. Consulate General, Sydney

Sydney DoNotReply Consular <DoNotReply_syd@state.gov>
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

*** AUTOMATED MESSAGE ***

*** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ***

Congratulations on your selection for the Diversity Visa Lottery program. You should have now received your appointment letter from KCC. In preparation for your scheduled appointment, you are to prepare the documents as listed below.

Before your interview

Register and create a profile via USTravelDocs.

Each applicant must create a profile via the mentioned website. All correspondence will be emailed via an applicant’s profile.

Your profile only requires your name and email address.

Your appointment will not show in your online profile

There is no option to select DV as the visa category.

Please immediately email our office to confirm if you can “attend” or if you wish to “cancel”.

You must include your name and case number when corresponding with our office.

Hi All, First time post here. My number is OC01xx so the interview could be soon? I have been with my partner 6 year and planning on getting engaged this year. She did not win the lottery. Has anyone heard any stories about getting married before the interview? And yes I do understand my interview could be in 8-12 weeks.

Yes, plenty of people get married before the interview. So long as it's a bonafide relationship, it's fine. Get married. Add her as a beneficiary and create her own DS260.

You'll only be interviewed - at the earliest and depending on when you submit the DS260 - October so there's plenty of time.