• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Yup. I'd love the hear the outcome of this, we've been assuming there is a good reason they now explicitly state reusing an old photo will lead to disqualification. If they just let the old photos through ...it will be interesting to know. So please do keep us posted after the interview.

KCC are just admin and not even supposed to tell you whether or not it will be alright (whatever "it" is), just to tell you that all decisions are made by the CO.

What @SusieQQQ said about KCC. They can have an opinion but it won't carry any weight. The only opinion that matters is that of the CO.

The way this is handled will also vary from embassy to embassy. There "may" have been a new instruction to the embassies to DQ cases with DV2017 photos, BUT that doesn't mean that all embassies or COs will follow that instruction. We have seen that "variance" before - sometimes carrying on for years (e.g. Tirana on I-134s).

Hey guys, thanks for the advice a few pages back. I just have a couple more questions. I took this month to do my DS260 and submitted it yesterday. With my number at 5xx I'm assuming I'll get called for an interview between November and January. First question: I'm currently in Budapest but marked Auckland as my interview location. I need to be home at Christmas for a wedding so I'm hoping to get the medical and interview done within that same few weeks. If I get called in November, I'm assuming it's relatively easy to just reschedule for a month later?

Also, I noticed a few questions up that someone was in US but interviewing in Auckland. You guys said they would need to get in touch with the KCC. Does this apply to me as well?

My Ds260 took a long time to fill out as I've been travelling/living overseas for the past six years. I had 16 jobs and 17 addresses throughout Asia, Central America, the US, and Europe. Do you think this is likely to look "dodgy" or take longer to process? I really tried my hardest to get the addresses relatively correct by going back through facebook and messaging friends for translations but I'm a bit worried I could be off on some of them.

Thanks!

We had alot of countries too and it wasn't a problem. Having said that, the countries we were in were not known terrorist spots so, if you have those, it might take longer for them to do additional background checks.

If I get called in November, I'm assuming it's relatively easy to just reschedule for a month later?

!

The relative ease of rescheduling depends entirely on your consulate. At some of them you can't at all, at others you can postpone but have little control over when (or if) you get a new appointment, and a handful are as easy as you assume. This is because it's the embassy, not KCC, who handle any rescheduling. You'll need to find someone who's rescheduled at Auckland to advise you.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice a few pages back. I just have a couple more questions. I took this month to do my DS260 and submitted it yesterday. With my number at 5xx I'm assuming I'll get called for an interview between November and January. First question: I'm currently in Budapest but marked Auckland as my interview location. I need to be home at Christmas for a wedding so I'm hoping to get the medical and interview done within that same few weeks. If I get called in November, I'm assuming it's relatively easy to just reschedule for a month later?

Also, I noticed a few questions up that someone was in US but interviewing in Auckland. You guys said they would need to get in touch with the KCC. Does this apply to me as well?

My Ds260 took a long time to fill out as I've been travelling/living overseas for the past six years. I had 16 jobs and 17 addresses throughout Asia, Central America, the US, and Europe. Do you think this is likely to look "dodgy" or take longer to process? I really tried my hardest to get the addresses relatively correct by going back through facebook and messaging friends for translations but I'm a bit worried I could be off on some of them.

Thanks!
The relative ease of rescheduling depends entirely on your consulate. At some of them you can't at all, at others you can postpone but have little control over when (or if) you get a new appointment, and a handful are as easy as you assume. This is because it's the embassy, not KCC, who handle any rescheduling. You'll need to find someone who's rescheduled at Auckland to advise you.

Yup - don't assume it will be easy to reschedule at a time to suit yourself.

Hi all,

After 13 yrs of entering the DV Program I have finally been selected. And like everyone else my head is spinning! It is very reassuring to read these forums to get an idea on how the process works from here. My CN is 14xx so it looks like I'm sitting in the 50/50 category for an interview.

I have a question regarding the DS-260. I have a minor arrest charge and want to know if this will jeopardize getting an interview. It would suck to think a Drunk and Disorderly charge more than 25 years could be be the deciding factor.

Really appreciate any insights

You'll get to interview. KCC don't adjudicate. They just process the paperwork and do background checks.

Crimes of moral turpitude is what is a problem. I don't think what you did falls into that category. There's been DVers convicted of assault who've gotten visas. I think you'll be fine.

But you will need to declare the offence, ensure your police check shows the offence, and have paperwork ready at the interview for the CO.

Reactions: C&R
I'm another one with 24XX case number was so excited didn't realized the whole case number and interview thing was thinking depended how quick you got the application in

Hi all,

After 13 yrs of entering the DV Program I have finally been selected. And like everyone else my head is spinning! It is very reassuring to read these forums to get an idea on how the process works from here. My CN is 14xx so it looks like I'm sitting in the 50/50 category for an interview.

I have a question regarding the DS-260. I have a minor arrest charge and want to know if this will jeopardize getting an interview. It would suck to think a Drunk and Disorderly charge more than 25 years could be be the deciding factor.

Really appreciate any insights

Hi @C&R Just like you, I was a 14xx and managed to get a greencard after a year of nervous waiting. It looked like I would miss out and the number jumped in the final month. Time to get yourself an immigration.com profile avatar then spend you spare time on the forum waiting for visa bulletin updates then making final CN projections in excel.

Are you a low 14xx or a high 14xx? 1401 to 1499 is a big difference.

As @EmilyW said, that's not a crime of moral torpitude (I translate this to mean "evil"). Also drug charges are a dealbreaker. Drunk and disorderly they won't care about - but on interview day you'll still be sweating on this.

I'm another one with 24XX case number was so excited didn't realized the whole case number and interview thing was thinking depended how quick you got the application in

24XX is very very high. You've got until early next year.

Who knows what will happen, but that number has never reached the interview stage.

Hmmm... didn't we have someone be ok with a past possession of marijuana offense? Especially now as it's decriminalized or legal throughout so much of the US.

It may depend on the CO? There's specific wording in the law about drug users being inadmissible, however perhaps Marijuana has been removed from the list and is no longer still considered a drug?

It may depend on the CO? There's specific wording in the law about drug users being inadmissible, however perhaps Marijuana has been removed from the list and is no longer still considered a drug?

Drug or alcohol addiction is definitely an inadmissibility. I have no idea what is on the list (or if there is a list) but I am sure we had a case of a possession conviction from some years before not being enough to prevent a visa being issued.

You'll get to interview. KCC don't adjudicate. They just process the paperwork and do background checks.

Crimes of moral turpitude is what is a problem. I don't think what you did falls into that category. There's been DVers convicted of assault who've gotten visas. I think you'll be fine.

But you will need to declare the offence, ensure your police check shows the offence, and have paperwork ready at the interview for the CO.
Thanks for the advice @EmilyW. I have declared it in the DS260 and will ensure I get a comprehensive police check to make sure it appears.

Hi @C&R Just like you, I was a 14xx and managed to get a greencard after a year of nervous waiting. It looked like I would miss out and the number jumped in the final month. Time to get yourself an immigration.com profile avatar then spend you spare time on the forum waiting for visa bulletin updates then making final CN projections in excel.

Are you a low 14xx or a high 14xx? 1401 to 1499 is a big difference.

As @EmilyW said, that's not a crime of moral torpitude (I translate this to mean "evil"). Also drug charges are a dealbreaker. Drunk and disorderly they won't care about - but on interview day you'll still be sweating on this.
Thanks for the reply @guestgulkan. I'm in the upper 14xx. I have noted posts from @Britsimon relating to 2015 so understand it is purely a waiting game. There is plenty of good stuff happening for me here in Aus so will focus on that in the meantime.