• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

..it will depend on the amount of work they have in your country's embassy,...and if they can give you an appointment before 9/30..

I think you slightly misinterpreted something you read. While the pace of interviews (numbe per month) might be affected by embassy workload, there is no risk of not getting an interview solely because of that. They work it so that all interviews will take place over the fiscal year and still fit in with the embassy workload.

Ok so just made me think of a more interesting question hehe, I am in the SA region since I'm venezuelan but I am currently living in France so I am planning to treat my case in Paris embassy. Would it make any different to choose Paris embassy over Caracas embassy in terms of processing speed once the "current" stage in SA is reached?

No, the interviews are scheduled according to case number. At best the difference in embassy might be a week or two, nothing noticeable. Bear in mind you need to do the medical in the same country you interview in too so flying to Caracas to do it and having to go a couple weeks before to do the medical doesn't make sense - especially if you don't even know if the interview would be any sooner there?

No, the interviews are scheduled according to case number. At best the difference in embassy might be a week or two, nothing noticeable. Bear in mind you need to do the medical in the same country you interview in too so flying to Caracas to do it and having to go a couple weeks before to do the medical doesn't make sense - especially if you don't even know if the interview would be any sooner there?
I agree with you, makes perfect sense to me. I don't wish to do any traveling also as it would only complicate things.

DV2018 with CN AF47XXX.
What country is that (see letter of selection)?
I don't consider this a high case number, unless you're from a "wrong" country with a very high number of entrants. But yes, interview only very late in the fiscal year.

During applying for DV lottery I have confused my given name with my surname.. now I got selected with that mistake.. What should I do? How can I modify it? or should I leave it be and apply for the visa application?

There's no way to modify the eDV form. You can proceed by entering your name correctly on the DS-260 form before submitting it.

An embassy such as Ghana embassy for instance denies people for errors such as this though. So if you're from a fraud prone country, you'll most likely be denied for this.

I think you slightly misinterpreted something you read. While the pace of interviews (numbe per month) might be affected by embassy workload, there is no risk of not getting an interview solely because of that. They work it so that all interviews will take place over the fiscal year and still fit in with the embassy workload.

What a relief, thanks for the clarification! I was already losing hope since I thought I was fried if my number went current in september,..and I know from reliable sources the wait to get an appointment in Madrid embassy can be quite long in the summer (when most people here apply for visas).

Anyway, I advise selectees with moderately high case number to be vigilant,...but to go on with their current life as nothing happened, until their number go current and they get an appointment for their visa. Just don't quit your job and sell your car yet. ;),...because while the risk is small,....it definitly exists.

Ok so just made me think of a more interesting question hehe, I am in the SA region since I'm venezuelan but I am currently living in France so I am planning to treat my case in Paris embassy. Would it make any different to choose Paris embassy over Caracas embassy in terms of processing speed once the "current" stage in SA is reached?

Same here, I am Tunisian currently living in London. Was thinking about sending my application to the London embassy but I am wondering if it is best to sent it to the Tunisian one in Tunis. Any ideas ?

correct me if I am wrong,...but I think you can only apply in a country other than yours, if you are a legal resident there. So if you are in Paris with a student visa,...I think (but not sure) you should go back to caracas.

What a relief, thanks for the clarification! I was already losing hope since I thought I was fried if my number went current in september,..and I know from reliable sources the wait to get an appointment in Madrid embassy can be quite long in the summer (when most people here apply for visas).

Ok so, (1) most embassies have totally different time slots for non immigrant vs immigrant visa interviews (for example one kind in the mornings and the other in the afternoons) - and the summer crush you talk about I am sure is for tourist and student visas? And (2) DV is the only immigrant visa that is time sensitive, so if any visa appointments do have to be postponed due to workload it will be other types, not DV. In any case I believe the immigrant visa caseload at Madrid is pretty small.

If your number goes current in September (I am pretty sure it will be earlier, but) then you'd get the interview notification around the beginning-mid of July.

Last edited:
correct me if I am wrong,...but I think you can only apply in a country other than yours, if you are a legal resident there. So if you are in Paris with a student visa,...I think (but not sure) you should go back to caracas.

No, that's not correct. If you are living in a country for any reason including being a student, you will normally interview there.

Anyway you don't "apply" to the embassy, KCC schedules you according to the "current address" on your DS260.

There's no way to modify the eDV form. You can proceed by entering your name correctly on the DS-260 form before submitting it.

An embassy such as Ghana embassy for instance denies people for errors such as this though. So if you're from a fraud prone country, you'll most likely be denied for this.

Thank you very much, I'm from Morocco by the way. Is it a fraud prone country?

Same here, I am Tunisian currently living in London. Was thinking about sending my application to the London embassy but I am wondering if it is best to sent it to the Tunisian one in Tunis. Any ideas ?

Greater complications doing interviews in countries you don't currently live in, because of traveling, medicals mean you have to go early, and of course you don't get your passport back immediately. Generally it doesn't make sense to interview "back home" when you live somewhere else.

And again, you don't "send" your application. You'll list your current address as London on your DS260, and KCC will schedule you for London.

Hi everyone!

Does the fact that you region get to reach current in May like this year guarantee in some way that if your DS260 was received and treated you will get an interview even if you have a high number? I got SA21** for the 2018 period. I know comparing between different years might not help much but, if we spoke about next year with similar numbers, where SA had not even reached 1.000 by April after 7 months processing and then gets current in May, would I still have chances of ever getting an interview?

Submit the DS260 as soon as you can, don't be in a hurry filing
Hello Everyone

Was selected for DV2018 with CN AF47XXX. I realise this is a very high number (might never be ask for an interview) and was therefore debating the importance/ urgency of submitting the DS260 form before the end of May.

Submitting a DS260 as early as May wouldn't give me any edge would it ? When do you think I should submit a DS 260 at the latest ?

Submit the DS260 as soon as you can, but don't rush it too. Take your time..i had AF41000 for DV2014 and got my second letter in April for a June interview date. Ethiopia and Egypt are on their own and their numbers move slower than the rest of Africa numbers.