• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

I don't think most of you have given any kind of thought to the volume of work and the different types of petition each FO is dealing with on a daily basis.

If you had to wait for about 6 months to one year before you even get an RFE, following which you now have to wait about one year for your interview letter, and wait another 6 months for an approval following the interview, you will understand and appreciate the fact that an estimated 45 days for an expedited response is blissfully sweet!

The time frame I posted above is not an exaggeration, this is the processing time majority of the none DV based AOS petitioners are going through.

Simply applying for an AOS based EAD card and a subsequent rejection of the AOS petition does not lead to a loss of status. What leads to a loss of status following and AOS petition denial is USING an AOS based EAD card to undertake authorized employment.

Anyway you should go through the following post which further explains this (the F1 scenario is also applicable to a J
Thanks, Mom! In this case (J2) then it almost makes more sense to request the EAD independent of AOS as J2s can do so. If I'm not mistaken that should avoid falling out of status in the case of AOS denial. Is that right?
Can there be any issues to the AOS process by applying for EAD independent of AOS? (Either before or after submitting the package)

Thanks, Mom! In this case (J2) then it almost makes more sense to request the EAD independent of AOS as J2s can do so. If I'm not mistaken that should avoid falling out of status in the case of AOS denial. Is that right?
Can there be any issues to the AOS process by applying for EAD independent of AOS? (Either before or after submitting the package)

If you plan on getting a J2 based EAD card, you should apply for it before starting your AOS process.

I don't think most of you have given any kind of thought to the volume of work and the different types of petition each FO is dealing with on a daily basis.

If you had to wait for about 6 months to one year before you even get an RFE, following which you now have to wait about one year for your interview letter, and wait another 6 months for an approval following the interview, you will understand and appreciate the fact that an estimated 45 days for an expedited response is blissfully sweet!

The time frame I posted above is not an exaggeration, this is the processing time majority of the none DV based AOS petitioners are going through.
Mom,
Good news, I got my interview letter today :)
Actually, I have got an infopass appointment and now I need to change its time. However, in the website it asks for confirmation number and pin number. I do see confirmation number but there is not any Pin number on the confirmation page that I got. What is it and where is it?

Mom,
Actually, I have got an infopass appointment and now I need to change its time. However, in the website it asks for confirmation number and pin number. I do see confirmation number but there is not any Pin number on the confirmation page that I got. What is it and where is it?
Hi Ali,
Congrats!
How many days did it take you to receive the interview letter after going to biometrics?
Thanks

Mom,

Congratulations on getting the IL.

You can't modify the time of an existing INFOPASS, I believe you can only cancel. And the PIN is supposed to be on the appointment confirmation notice. If you don't have the PIN, it unfortunately means the appointment will just have to lapse - and someone else who might have been able to use the time slot will miss out on that.

Mom,

Hi Ali
From your name, I guess you are Iranian guy like me .
Congratulation for receive IL.That is very soon. May I ask you what is your State? and I appreciate you to give me the USCIS customer service number ?(I want to file my AOS in January, while I will be current in February , I am worry about early filing deny)

Hi Ali
From your name, I guess you are Iranian guy like me .
Congratulation for receive IL.That is very soon. May I ask you what is your State? and I appreciate you to give me the USCIS customer service number ?(I want to file my AOS in January, while I will be current in February , I am worry about early filing deny)
Don't worry about early filing rejection. Even if that happens you can do the same thing that I did ( asked them to expedite your process because they have made a mistake) and they did it for me. The reason that I got it fast was because I asked for expedition and then they issued the letter the same day. So my recommendation is to apply due to what the website tells you and don't worry about early filing.

Don't worry about early filing rejection. Even if that happens you can do the same thing that I did ( asked them to expedite your process because they have made a mistake) and they did it for me. The reason that I got it fast was because I asked for expedition and then they issued the letter the same day. So my recommendation is to apply due to what the website tells you and don't worry about early filing.

I know your package was initially rejected by Chicago Lockbox and you had to re-file, and things seem back on track for you. However, I would caution you against outrightly telling people not to worry about early filing. It's still possible for one's petition to get accepted by the Chicago Lockbox and then get denied by the FO due to early filing - a situation that @Vrbmon is currently trying to resolve now as a matter of fact. And she's fortunate her FO has agreed to re-open the denied case without her having to file and pay all the fees again.

Bottom line, anyone doing early filing should be aware of the possibility of a rejection or denial - it's a valid concern.

Thank you. I would like to have contact with you and my phone number is xxxxxxxxxx. Would you please send me a text message to have your number ? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I would like to have contact with you and my phone number is xxxxxxxxxxxx. Would you please send me a text message to have your number ? Thanks a lot.

You should never publish personal contact info publicly on a forum. Use the private messaging system rather.

You should never publish personal contact info publicly on a forum. Use the private messaging system rather.
I am sorry. May you help me? I don't know how can I use the private message ? I thought that only way is reply to somebody.

The IL mentions to bring proof of residence. Would the main page of the apartment lease agreement, with all the necessary information (name, address, pay, term), be sufficient, or do I need something more substantial?

The IL mentions to bring proof of residence. Would the main page of the apartment lease agreement, with all the necessary information (name, address, pay, term), be sufficient, or do I need something more substantial?

Yup, that will do. Any utility bill with your name and address listed on it will do too.

I am sorry. May you help me? I don't know how can I use the private message ? I thought that only way is reply to somebody.

Look at top right for the "inbox" link, click on it then on "start a new conversation". You can choose the user to send to and only you and they can see what you message about there.

If I'm in the US on a temporary visa (J) and apply for AOS, and then the J program is terminated before AOS is approved, can I still remain in the US until my adjustment of status is completed? I believe the key point is to be on status (J) when USCIS acknowledges receipt of my AOS package but I'm not 100% sure. Any guidance is much appreciated.

They typically do not update the online status as one would have expected. I would say pay them another visit in about two weeks' time if you haven't still haven't heard from them.

When you go on the INFOPASS, you should ask for an update and request to know if and when an interview will be taking place.
So I only have one concern here. The denial notice says the employment authorization is revoked unless I submit proof within 18 days from the date of denial notice that the I-485 remained pending. I will definitely have to visit the FO as soon as possible to get this straight. I am not sure how do I prove anything. It's not that they gave me any documentation about reopening the case. As far as I am concerned this could be all just the act of my imagination with no written proof whatsoever. What do you think?

If I'm in the US on a temporary visa (J) and apply for AOS, and then the J program is terminated before AOS is approved, can I still remain in the US until my adjustment of status is completed? I believe the key point is to be on status (J) when USCIS acknowledges receipt of my AOS package but I'm not 100% sure. Any guidance is much appreciated.

AFAIK, it is advisable for one to maintain whatever legal status they're in throughout the AOS process.