• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hi
I read Vrbmon experience and became worried and confused :(. Today, I went to the FO for ask about early filing. the officer said based on USCIS website and memo, I can file my AOS six or seven before the month that my CN will be current. please put yourself in my shoes, what will you do ? I want to get my green card as soon as possible because I should go to my country.
Can I put one copy of USCIS policy about early filing in my package? in ordet to indicate I don't do wrong early filing.

It's really your call, I'm sorry I can't put myself in your shoes. You decide if you want to do early filing or wait until the first day of the month your CN becomes current before filing.

It's really your call, I'm sorry I can't put myself in your shoes. You decide if you want to do early filing or wait until the first day of the month your CN becomes current before filing.
what about my last question? put copy of policy in my package? It doesn't make problem?

Hi
I read Vrbmon experience and became worried and confused :(. Today, I went to the FO for ask about early filing. the officer said based on USCIS website and memo, I can file my AOS six or seven before the month that my CN will be current. please put yourself in my shoes, what will you do ? I want to get my green card as soon as possible because I should go to my country.
Can I put one copy of USCIS policy about early filing in my package? in ordet to indicate I don't do wrong early filing.

It is up to you filling early or not. As some of you advised me, filling early only adds more stress and uncertainty to a process that is already stressful. Then, even when I also want the GC as soon as possible, and I should travel to my country for personal reasons, I decided to wait until everything is over. But, even if your case is rejected due to early filling, you can fight for it with the memo and the info on USCIS website... I was in your shoes, and I decided to wait... Let's see how long it takes...

what about my last question? put copy of policy in my package? It doesn't make problem?

Putting a copy of the early filing memo in your AOS package (which is a standard recommendation by the way) does not guarantee the case will not be wrongly denied either. Some did exactly that and they still got denied. All of these have already been covered on the AOS process spreadsheet.

I was just reading on AOS eligibility on the USCIS site and got a bit confused about this part:
"There are a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status. For these winners residing inside the United States, USCIS processes adjustment of status applications."

In our case, we learnt that we had won the lottery while we were NOT in the US yet. But since we had already initiated the process to get our Js, we decided to continue with that, enter the US on J status, and then maybe do AOS for the DV-GC.

Our dates: we checked we had won on the ESC DV site beginning of May. J1 entered the US mid-May (just a few days later). J2 entered the US mid-August. J2 is the principal DV2017 selectee; J1 is derivative. Both currently in the US.

Are we still allowed to do AOS?

Thank you!!

I was just reading on AOS eligibility on the USCIS site and got a bit confused about this part:
"There are a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status. For these winners residing inside the United States, USCIS processes adjustment of status applications."

In our case, we learnt that we had won the lottery while we were NOT in the US yet. But since we had already initiated the process to get our Js, we decided to continue with that, enter the US on J status, and then maybe do AOS for the DV-GC.

Our dates: we checked we had won on the ESC DV site beginning of May. J1 entered the US mid-May (just a few days later). J2 entered the US mid-August. J2 is the principal DV2017 selectee; J1 is derivative. Both currently in the US.

Thank you!!

Have you submitted the DS-260 yet?? If not, you have to wait the 30-60-90 days period (that you already waited because more than 90 days have passed since you entered in the US in mid-August), and then, you can do it. Is it your number current already??

Thank you!!

Technically speaking entering the US on a NIV with the mind of processing AOS is highly frowned upon and discouraged. However, because you were already processing your J visas (which means you had already had plans of coming to the US in motion) before your DV selection, you should be okay to process AOS. If asked about when you discovered you were selected and when you actually entered the US, as long as you explain you were in the 'may be' stage before you entered, you'll be fine.

Have you submitted the DS-260 yet?? If not, you have to wait the 30-60-90 days period (that you already waited because more than 90 days have passed since you entered in the US in mid-August), and then, you can do it. Is it your number current already??
Thanks! We have not submitted the DS-260 yet. And we are current already. So it looks like we're good to go!

Technically speaking entering the US on a NIV with the mind of processing AOS is highly frowned upon and discouraged. However, because you were already processing your J visas (which means you had already had plans of coming to the US in motion) before your DV selection, you should be okay to process AOS. If asked about when you discovered you were selected and when you actually entered the US, as long as you explain you were in the 'may be' stage before you entered, you'll be fine.
Thanks, Mom! That's exactly what happened, we weren't 100% sure about doing the whole GC thing at the time. We knew we had won the lottery, and started looking into what that entailed, the process, etc, but truly were in the "maybe" situation. We didn't bring any documents with us to the US to do AOS in mind for instance (although we can't really "prove" that). But from what you're saying, it sounds like they would take our word of being in the "maybe" stage. I guess this is especially true in our case since we've waited over 90 days before submitting our DS-260s...

Hi Mom,

I know that Infopass cannot do anything regarding the EAD application. I was wondering where/How I can talk to them about my EAD status and whether or not I can expedite it since I have a job offer and also have deadlines which are all dependent on getting the EAD card. Is calling the USCIS customer service helpful in this regard?

Hi Mom,

I know that Infopass cannot do anything regarding the EAD application. I was wondering where/How I can talk to them about my EAD status and whether or not I can expedite it since I have a job offer and also have deadlines which are all dependent on getting the EAD card. Is calling the USCIS customer service helpful in this regard?

The standard processing time for the EAD card is 3 months. AFAIK, you cannot expedite the processing, you just have to wait. Of course you can always do go on an INFOPASS appointment to follow up on the processing.

On a side note, I'm assuming you are aware if you use an AOS based EAD card to undertake authorized employment, and if your AOS petition subsequently gets denied for some reason, you will no longer have a status to fall back on, unless you're currently on a dual intent based status.

The standard processing time for the EAD card is 3 months. AFAIK, you cannot expedite the processing, you just have to wait. Of course you can always do go on an INFOPASS appointment to follow up on the processing.

On a side note, I'm assuming you are aware if you use an AOS based EAD card to undertake authorized employment, and if your AOS petition subsequently gets denied for some reason, you will no longer have a status to fall back on, unless you're currently on a dual intent based status.
Mom,
I am currently F1 student and I have not graduated yet. So would that be any problem if the the application is denied for any reason?

Mom,
I am currently F1 student and I have not graduated yet. So would that be any problem if the the application is denied for any reason?

Yes it will be a problem. You will loose your F1 status in this case if they end up denying your AOS petition - you will no longer be able to revert back to F1 because once you use an AOS based EAD card for employment you move from your current status to what is known as adjustment pending. You can still continue studies as adjustment pending, you just can't fall back to F1 if the adjustment petition is denied. You become out of status.

Is not this unsual?
I had Biometric Test on Nov 22 and I completed that. Now on three days from that, I received a letter on mail mentioning "REQUEST FOR APPLICANT TO APPEAR FOR INITIAL INTERVIEW", that yellow paged letter mentioning date and place of interview and many documents to bring mentioned below. Moreover, it seems the letter is mailed on the same day of my biometric test Nov 22, which is written as notice day on the letter. Is this the same Interview that everyone should pass through, I am confused since it's written "initial interview" but I don't know what use to be written in others letter.

I am surprised mainly because they issued the letter on the same day we appeared for the Biometric test, how can they get all the background information on the same day of the test?

Is this the notice for the only interview that everybody should go to complete the AOS?

Thanks!

Is not this unsual?
I had Biometric Test on Nov 22 and I completed that. Now on three days from that, I received a letter on mail mentioning "REQUEST FOR APPLICANT TO APPEAR FOR INITIAL INTERVIEW", that yellow paged letter mentioning date and place of interview and many documents to bring mentioned below. Moreover, it seems the letter is mailed on the same day of my biometric test Nov 22, which is written as notice day on the letter. Is this the same Interview that everyone should pass through, I am confused since it's written "initial interview" but I don't know what use to be written in others letter.

I am surprised mainly because they issued the letter on the same day we appeared for the Biometric test, how can they get all the background information on the same day of the test?

Is this the notice for the only interview that everybody should go to complete the AOS?

Thanks!

Yes, that's your interview notification letter, and no the circumstances you've described are not unusual. Biometrics is arranged by the NBC, interview is arranged by the FO. Some FOs like yours do no wait for the background check results before scheduling the interview. Interview can take place while the background check result is still pending. In such a case, they will not make any decision at the end of the interview until the background check results come in.

1. Yes. Like I said before.
2. It is highly advisable to include the DV payment receipt with the AOS package. However, you may opt to not include it and simply take it along to your interview. Your call.
3. See 2 above.

Greetings Support,

1. Today I received my DV payment fee receipt, which is nothing more than the "Adjustment of Status Fee Payment Form" with a "PAID" stamp on it. Is this a normal receipt that I should be getting?

2. Additionally, I am still waiting for my 2NL from KCC. It has been 3 weeks since submission of DS-260 with no response yet. Should I proceed with submission of our AOS package to USCIS or must I wait for 2NL conformation e-mail so that I can include it in the AOS package? I am inclining to wait for couple more weeks, because we are not really under a time pressure here. Our CN will become current in December, i.e. next week.

Thanks much for your help!

Greetings Support,

1. Today I received my DV payment fee receipt, which is nothing more than the "Adjustment of Status Fee Payment Form" with a "PAID" stamp on it. Is this a normal receipt that I should be getting?

2. Additionally, I am still waiting for my 2NL from KCC. It has been 3 weeks since submission of DS-260 with no response yet. Should I proceed with submission of our AOS package to USCIS or must I wait for 2NL conformation e-mail so that I can include it in the AOS package? I am inclining to wait for couple more weeks, because we are not really under a time pressure here. Our CN will become current in December, i.e. next week.

Thanks much for your help!

1. Yes that is the receipt.

2. I already told you the 2NL takes between 2 weeks to 2months (much longer in a few cases). Notwithstanding, you may submit your AOS package as is (without the 2NL) or wait for it. It's absence will not negatively impact your petition.

Is not this unsual?

Thanks!

Hi Lucky17
Got exactly the same. We had our bio the 22nd and received 2 days after our interview later dated from 21st of November.