• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Sm1smom,

Finally our number is active in June. We have paid DV fees and awaiting return of payment receipt. We have also done medicals and pretty much following the steps as per the spreadsheet.

We have been following this forum closely but certainly no case is similar. Please help us clarify a few issues.

1. On optional forms example - 1-765 employment authorization, is it okay to skip it from filing if we have valid EAD?
2. I'm employed and have all employment documents required. However my earning is meagre. Is it enough to file only my employment documents or I ask my spouse (Whose earning is greater) to fill form 1-1349 (Affidavit of support)?
3. Just to be sure, is the AOS fee for child under 14 still $ 635?

Thanks for your assisatnce always.

1. Again, that form is optional. You don't fill it if you don't need it.

2. You may include your spouse's employment and financial documents as part of your own financial evidence. There's no need to fill out an affidavit of support if your combined income meets the applicable poverty guideline minimum income.

3. You can confirm the applicable fee from the following link (page 5):
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Regarding the interview letter,

Is there a way to know if USCIS has sent the interview letter?. The letter can get lost in the mail or be misplaced by the postman, and what if we miss the interview date?... and as long as I know "case status" does not change to reflect the interview.

Thanks!

Hi,

We have just received an interview invitation letter and have several questions:

1) We are doing AOS for my spouse, myself and 2 kids. We have received interview invitations only for my spouse and myself. Do we need to take kids to the interview?

2) Do we need to bring kids' documents for the interview (in case we don't need to take them there)? I.e., their passports, i-94, birth certificates,...

3) For i-485 it was sufficient to send only the copies of birth certificates. Is it critical to bring the originals to the interview (we have certified translations at hand and getting the originals will require urgent DHL/UPS from abroad...).

4) For the proof of education, is it sufficient to bring official high school/college/university degree translations, or there is a need to get an evaluation (e.g., establishing an equivalence with the US degrees)?

5) My spouse is a primary applicant but she is not working (she has O-3 visa). How she supposed to prove that she is not going to be a public charge? Is it sufficient to show that I have a full time work (pay-stubs, w2,...)? Or I have to sign the I-134 (affidavit of support) for her?

Thanks a lot!
Michael.

Regarding the interview letter,

Is there a way to know if USCIS has sent the interview letter?. The letter can get lost in the mail or be misplaced by the postman, and what if we miss the interview date?... and as long as I know "case status" does not change to reflect the interview.

Thanks!

If you registered online for case notifications, you will receive a text and/or email message when the IL gets mailed out. Yes it's possible for it yo get lost or misplaced, if that happens and you miss your interview, your case would be considered abandoned and be denied/closed by your FO.

Hi,

We have just received an interview invitation letter and have several questions:

1) We are doing AOS for my spouse, myself and 2 kids. We have received interview invitations only for my spouse and myself. Do we need to take kids to the interview?

2) Do we need to bring kids' documents for the interview (in case we don't need to take them there)? I.e., their passports, i-94, birth certificates,...

3) For i-485 it was sufficient to send only the copies of birth certificates. Is it critical to bring the originals to the interview (we have certified translations at hand and getting the originals will require urgent DHL/UPS from abroad...).

4) For the proof of education, is it sufficient to bring official high school/college/university degree translations, or there is a need to get an evaluation (e.g., establishing an equivalence with the US degrees)?

5) My spouse is a primary applicant but she is not working (she has O-3 visa). How she supposed to prove that she is not going to be a public charge? Is it sufficient to show that I have a full time work (pay-stubs, w2,...)? Or I have to sign the I-134 (affidavit of support) for her?

Thanks a lot!
Michael.

1. I'm assuming each of the kids had a separate package submitted with yours? You should take the kids to the interview.

2. Kids' documents and the kids themselves.

3. The standard practice has been for the IO to request to see both the original and the certified translated copy. How come you didn't send for the original copies while you were waiting to become current?

4. If your IL doesn't mention an evaluation report, then it's not required. Some FOs do specifically list that on the IL.

5. You present your income/financial documents if it's enough to meet the public charge requirement.

1. I'm assuming each of the kids had a separate package submitted with yours? You should take the kids to the interview.

2. Kids' documents and the kids themselves.

3. The standard practice has been for the IO to request to see both the original and the certified translated copy. How come you didn't send for the original copies while you were waiting to become current?

4. If your IL doesn't mention an evaluation report, then it's not required. Some FOs do specifically list that on the IL.

5. You present your income/financial documents if it's enough to meet the public charge requirement.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
To clarify point 4. On the other side of the invitation letter it is written regarding the education:
"Hight school diploma and/or college degree & official transcript (if foreign, must be accompanied by official evaluation/certificate - i.e.: World Education Service (WES))".
So, does it mean that it is not sufficient to present an official English version of the diploma?

Thanks a lot for the reply.
To clarify point 4. On the other side of the invitation letter it is written regarding the education:
"Hight school diploma and/or college degree & official transcript (if foreign, must be accompanied by official evaluation/certificate - i.e.: World Education Service (WES))".
So, does it mean that it is not sufficient to present an official English version of the diploma?

For your FO, it means they expect to see an evaluated report in addition to the foreign issued diploma itself in addition to the translated version. You should plan on getting your HS diploma evaluated, but it doesn't have to be with WES, there are other organizations who offer cheaper services.

For your FO, it means they expect to see an evaluated report in addition to the foreign issued diploma itself in addition to the translated version. You should plan on getting your HS diploma evaluated, but it doesn't have to be with WES, there are other organizations who offer cheaper services.

Could you please recommend some of these organizations? Thank you!

1. Again, that form is optional. You don't fill it if you don't need it.

2. You may include your spouse's employment and financial documents as part of your own financial evidence. There's no need to fill out an affidavit of support if your combined income meets the applicable poverty guideline minimum income.

3. You can confirm the applicable fee from the following link (page 5):
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Mom,

Thanks, got you clearly on questions 1 and 2. Further clarification on applicable fee for the child.. It says If Form 1 - 1485 for a child aged 13 or younger is filed in the same envelope with Form 1 - 1485 of at least one parent, the fee for child Form 1 - 1485 is
$ 635.

We have two children in this category (13 and 9). Does it imply we pay $ 635 and file their two Form 1 - 1485 in the same envelope of one parent? Or its only one child? We are not sure?

Also G visa holders are required to fill Form 1 - 566. I guess G4 visa is one of them required to fill 1 - 566.

Please kindly clarify.

Thanks again

If Mom doesn't reply. It will be $635 for each of your children and you will not need to pay the $85 for the biometrics for them.

As far as filing, as you will be submitting all the applications together in one package (that includes at least one adult), just include all the payments in that package. There are links in the spreadsheet that give advice on how to put the package together.

Mom,

Thanks, got you clearly on questions 1 and 2. Further clarification on applicable fee for the child.. It says If Form 1 - 1485 for a child aged 13 or younger is filed in the same envelope with Form 1 - 1485 of at least one parent, the fee for child Form 1 - 1485 is
$ 635.

We have two children in this category (13 and 9). Does it imply we pay $ 635 and file their two Form 1 - 1485 in the same envelope of one parent? Or its only one child? We are not sure?

Also G visa holders are required to fill Form 1 - 566. I guess G4 visa is one of them required to fill 1 - 566.

Please kindly clarify.

Thanks again

Mom,

$ 635.

Please kindly clarify.

Thanks again

Exactly like @Fishboy responded. $635 payment is expected to be made for each kid under 14 even if the child is less than 1. You simply mail in all the AOS package together as one big package.

Can we travel out of the US while waiting for greencard to arrive? We have our welcome letter, but I'd like to book flights very soon, and if the cards are held up for some reason, wanted to know if it was possible or not to travel.

I've read somewhere about getting our passports stamped, but wondered if that was risky.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Has anyone received the NOA recently for their AOS package? My package was received by the chicago lockbox on may 2nd. I called today to the NSC, as more than 10 days have passed, and they did a non-receipt action and told me to wait a few more days. My check hasn't been cashed either. I know I have a mistake on my I-485 but I should either get a response asking to clarify or my package denied and my check returned. Neither has happened yet. The last couple of persons that have posted their updated timelines received it within 14 days. Right now I have 16 days, bu I just want to double check with everybody else.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Exactly like @Fishboy responded. $635 payment is expected to be made for each kid under 14 even if the child is less than 1. You simply mail in all the AOS package together as one big package.

Hi Mom,

Thanks we have noted info on kids fees. Do you know anything about form 1 - 566? I am on G4 (UN employee) .. I havent seen this form listed as part of requirement on the excel sheet.But I read somewhere on USCIS Website, A, G, and NATO who do AOS fill this form. Help with info.

Thanks again.

In addition, what is the difference between Biographic information forms G - 325 A and G - 325. They look the same to me, only that the later form edition on USCIS website is expired.

Hello, I just found out that my number is current in July, should I go ahead and send my package now? Do I need a sponsor if I have a good job?

We had our biometrics last 04/28 and my spouse has even received the EAD card, but our case status shows "fingerprint fee received" since the first day with no change. Our KCC file has also been requested by our FO. Shouldn't our case show another status like "accepted" or "under review" as explained in the AOS spreadsheet?
Thanks for your help!

Can we travel out of the US while waiting for greencard to arrive? We have our welcome letter, but I'd like to book flights very soon, and if the cards are held up for some reason, wanted to know if it was possible or not to travel.

I've read somewhere about getting our passports stamped, but wondered if that was risky.

If you travel out and your cards 'are held up for some reason', you obviously can't be admitted back with just the the Welcome letter. You've waited this long to come this far, what's wrong with waiting a few more days/weeks to get the actual cards?

Anyway, if indeed you must travel before receiving the GC, you may be able to get your passport stamped at your FO - the stamp is a temporary GC.